U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 01:35 AM

4,179 posts, read 9,126,628 times

Advertisements

Um.. Ah... the reason they don't have self-checkouts is because the individual stores have to pay for them themselves. Some stores can afford them based on their sales - just like some stores get the automatic cart pushers while others do an all-call three or four times a day to get the 'associates' out into the parking lot to gather up the carts. Some stores get several lifts, several forklifts, and lots of pallet dollies - and some only get the single lift, the single forklift, or the traditional 12 dollies. If their yearly inventory check is good (not too many losses) and they show a good yearly profit, they can buy more. If not... :-((
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 05:39 PM

979 posts, read 3,352,129 times
SCGranny. The stores in western ND are fairly new...just opened in the past year or 2. So we will probably have to wait a few years to see how profitable they are I'm guessing?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM

325 posts, read 1,398,384 times
Was just wondering if anyone in the Bottineau ND area has any insider information as to what restaurant may be going in the new Bottineau Walmart store. Latest rumor is its opening in March. Thanks!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:54 AM

According to the Bottineau city website, Walmart is suppose to open in a few days (March 5). Was curious if anyone on this forum was going to go to the grand opening.
I guess time will determine how the new Walmart will impact other businesses in town.
It will probably see a lot of Canuks because of the exchange rate.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:17 AM

Thought some might like to see some pictures/video's of the new walmart opening in
Bottineau, ND. This will be my last post on Wal-mart. Thanks for all your comments.
Time will tell if it was a good or bad move for the community.

From KX news:

Walmart Opens in Bottineau Photo Gallery (http://www.kxma.com/getArticlePhotos.asp?ArticleId=215959 - broken link)

Old 03-09-2008, 02:47 PM

108 posts, read 402,043 times
It's always nice to see another wal-mart opening, that way I know wherever I go I will be able to find good stuff at great prices.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:30 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,097,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyToo View Post
Was just wondering if anyone in the Bottineau ND area has any insider information as to what restaurant may be going in the new Bottineau Walmart store. Latest rumor is its opening in March. Thanks!
I know this thread has not been active for a while...but in case anyone is interested....our family visited my wife's brother & family in Bottineau over Easter. The take on the superwalmart there is that it is a special type of superwalmart designed for small towns...they have all the groceries and a deli like the rest do...but they do not have any fast food restaurant inside nor any other speciality spots such as optical or hair salon, etc. There is no plan for any of those in the future. That way they do not risk putting any already established speciality businesses out of business. But the store if very nice and clean with wide aisles with all the latest signage, etc. I personally am not a Walmart fan because I suppose the one here in Grand Forks has always been a bit dirty...but the one there is very nice.

Dan

Old 03-25-2008, 05:42 PM

1,928 posts, read 4,526,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I know this thread has not been active for a while...but in case anyone is interested....our family visited my wife's brother & family in Bottineau over Easter. The take on the superwalmart there is that it is a special type of superwalmart designed for small towns...they have all the groceries and a deli like the rest do...but they do not have any fast food restaurant inside nor any other speciality spots such as optical or hair salon, etc. There is no plan for any of those in the future. That way they do not risk putting any already established speciality businesses out of business. But the store if very nice and clean with wide aisles with all the latest signage, etc. I personally am not a Walmart fan because I suppose the one here in Grand Forks has always been a bit dirty...but the one there is very nice.

Dan
So Dan, I take it that the Walmart in Bottineau has opened? I'll have to check it out next time I'm in NoDak. Hopefully that will be in May.

The Super Walmart in Williston is pretty nice. I'm amazed that they opened a Super store like that in a town of 12500 people, but with Williston growing because of oil, maybe they know what they are doing.

Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM

489 posts, read 1,732,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
So Dan, I take it that the Walmart in Bottineau has opened? I'll have to check it out next time I'm in NoDak. Hopefully that will be in May.

The Super Walmart in Williston is pretty nice. I'm amazed that they opened a Super store like that in a town of 12500 people, but with Williston growing because of oil, maybe they know what they are doing.
I too was surprised when Williston got one because I thought it was too small. But then Devils Lake got one, and now little Bottineau at only 2,100 has one. But like you said one would assume they know what they are doing!

Old 04-06-2008, 11:29 AM

103 posts, read 661,680 times
I guess I'm not too surprised Williston has a super wal-mart. What town DOESN'T have one anymore?? LOL. Actually, Williston has had a large regular wal-mart store 90.000 sq ft for 10years prior to getting their 225,000 sq ft. super wal-mart. But 225,000 sq ft. is not an unusual size for towns the size of Williston anymore. I know towns smaller get 100,000 sq ft. super wal-marts, Williston's is on par with towns like Dickinson, Jamestown, Gillette, WY, Bismarck, Minot, etc... Williston has a trade area that serves many towns around Williston, for example Sidney, MT. (45minutes away, with 5,500 people)...and Watford City and Tioga (45 minutes away with each around 1,500 people) not to mention all the others even smaller that dot northeast MT and northwest ND. I've been to the Williston wal-mart store. It is busy...but so are all wal-mart stores. One stop shopping...we love it (and others hate it) . It hasn't seemed to hurt the Albertsons or Economart grocery stores in Williston. I heard Albertson's closed in Dickinson since super wal-mart opened up there, but they said the Williston store would remain open. Probably saved because of the oil boom going on in Williston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or