U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-20-2011, 03:14 PM

3 posts, read 2,378 times

Advertisements

I have a job secured in Minot, ND, but now I need a place to lay my head. I've scoured craigslist, contacted the local apartment management companies, and run down every contact that I have in ND.
I realize the uphill battle that I'm facing. I know with housing shortages, long waiting lists, and sky-high prices, the chances of finding a quick rental are slim.
However, I also realize that as most rentals don't need to advertise and new housing options are going up as fast as they can build them, I may not be able to search for these options via conventional internet sources.
I'm not looking for much. At this point, my family will not be coming with me. So, it's just one guy who will be working as hard and long as I possibly can to help support my family.
I hesitate to simply get in my car and come out hoping that I can find something as sleeping in my car is not an option in ND.
Any ideas? Any leads that may be helpful for me? Note: I'm open to anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 PM

60 posts, read 88,875 times
I placed an ad in Craiglist and got two calls. One guy has a 2br house in BowBells (70 miles from Minot) for $1200 a month. I am going to stay short term on base and then look for a room to rent maybe further out.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 AM

454 posts, read 513,755 times
I am assuming you have already asked your employer for some help with housing? If I were you, I would start looking outside of Minot and hope for the best, but it's tight all over the area. Wish I had more info to offer. Hopefully by next summer/fall, things will be more available. Have you tried any of the local hotels?

Old 12-21-2011, 08:18 AM

Thanks for the help! I'll post on craigslist and see what comes of that. I'd be willing to even rent a place with another guy or two to keep costs low. So, I'm completely open.
The hotels have some short-term options. However, most of those are booked solid. So, a night or two (not a month) is about all I can hope to get out of hotels. They are not even available for a week.
I am open to living outside of Minot and have actively been looking for those options.
Thank you for your feedback! If you have any further ideas, I'd be grateful!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM

8,394 posts, read 7,327,680 times
Be very careful ,there have been scams reported involving Craigs lists Have you got any service background?? Some folks have been able to stay at air base hotel in Minot for interviews, short term. list and oil related adds. Some jobs offer housing. Look on the online newspapers, rent.com, university of Minot web page, call churches. Sorry, there isn't more, but folks are recovering from severe flood damaged areas of Minot, many folks lost their homes. Added to the oil boom, makes for dire housing situation. Good luck, be safe.

Old 12-22-2011, 04:08 PM

Thank you for all your encouragement. I don't have a service background and the employer cannot offer any housing options. I'm conscious of the craigslist issues.
In addition, I have the ability to pay 6 months up-front, but want to make sure that it is as close to Minot as possible. I have one lead, but that is about an hour away. That's certainly not ideal.
I'll keep looking... and hopefully be moving up there next week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota