Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2011, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,058 times

Advertisements

Hi, my husband just got a government job in Bismarck and he is supposed to start work on January 17. We will be moving from Barstow, CA and have 3 kids. I have tried searching on the internet for a rental home big enough for us, but so far have had no luck. Does anyone know of any property management companies or rental agencies that I could contact? I'm really starting to stress out, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 05:05 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUandSaintsFan View Post
Hi, my husband just got a government job in Bismarck and he is supposed to start work on January 17. We will be moving from Barstow, CA and have 3 kids. I have tried searching on the internet for a rental home big enough for us, but so far have had no luck. Does anyone know of any property management companies or rental agencies that I could contact? I'm really starting to stress out, so any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
That is a short time period.... I live in Grand Forks and have helped folks moving to my area.... I know less about Bismarck housing.... but anywhere in North Dakota rental single family homes are not in a large supply...especially the larger newer homes. Most folks here rent apartments and buy homes.

That said....here is one I came across (if you havent contacted already)....

Diversified Services Property Management - Rental Properties

If they didnt work out....call them and ask about others. I often found out that calling around even real estate companies that dont rent is a good idea as the realtors might know of leads. Craiglist is also another area....I see two listed attm. Of course with craiglist be aware of scammers or nation-wide listings.

In Grand Forks area...1500/mo would get a 4BR/2BA newer home split level....but they are very short supply.

But I would call and call....

Bismarck housing is pretty tight, due to growth in recent years. So might have to settle for a rental townhouse, duplex or maybe getting a short term stay in a hotel, then finding a place.

Dan

Old 12-27-2011, 05:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,058 times
Thank you so much for the info. I'll keep looking and calling. I'm a little nervous about moving to North Dakota. I'm afraid we'll all get frostbite. The weather looks ruthless!

Old 12-27-2011, 06:39 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Hey, You'll do fine. I was raised in Bakersfield. neat to see someone from near there on the forum. I sent you a long Direct Message, if you go to settings, and look at the menu, check messages. I had to learn the hard way when I started, so just trying to be helpful

Old 12-27-2011, 10:46 PM

45 posts, read 125,393 times
Do a google search for bismarck tribune's website. Classifieds will give you some home listings.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:58 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,072,515 times
Why don't you and the children stay in CA and hubby goes to Bismark stays at a hotel and looks for housing, after he arranges a place for you ya'll to live THEN you and the children go there.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:54 AM

If he has taken a Gov't job, isn't there short term corporate housing?? Maybe take a 6mth lease in an apartment, then you'll know what area you prefer. Bismarck is a town I would live in, love the shopping, and nice older neighborhoods. beautiful museum at state capital bldg. Lots to do in and around Bismarc k, You'll have to take in the Fort Lincoln, and drive to new Salem to see the largest cow. You will enjoy after Barstow.... also, Mandan is there alongside Bismarck, so Bismarck/Mandan is often said in same sentence. Search both for housing on city data classifieds, have you thought to put an add in the local paper yourself?? Someone that is waiting for a nice family might be tempted to rent their empty home, you never know. Also, depending where your husband is working, sometimes the wives/spouses of co-workers will have leads, don't hesitate to ask folks, maybe the HR??

Old 12-28-2011, 05:08 AM

http://www.city-data.com/city/Bismar...th-Dakota.html
I got to this by doing a web search. Unfortunately, it wouldn't come up from the CityData home page. Anyway, some good info, incl pics of your soon to be new home. Let the forum know how your doing.
http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...111228121359:s

Last edited by JanND; 12-28-2011 at 05:17 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 PM

34 posts, read 133,767 times
Belcastle Apartments is opening a new unit this late spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota