Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,642,015 times

Advertisements

It's a good thing housing is covered through my husbands employer, we looked at places in Dickinson over the summer and the rent is crazy expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 07:48 PM

28 posts, read 38,290 times
Are things looking to improve at any time in the near future? I've been investigating a local non-oil/energy related job recently..

Old 09-19-2013, 08:22 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,206,169 times
Housing is now available but at the high prices stated. You can usually find something in the oil zone within a month of calling and looking around. It will probably be 5 years before the housing market normalizes. I just hope it doesn't take some small banks with it.

Old 10-21-2013, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,958 times
I, too, was just in Bismarck. I was flown in for follow up interviews and the company was generous enough to say they will reimburse me for my visit (I just got back, and they say they are mailing a check Thursday).

They seemed oblivious to the rental prices and I had to ask for more money, and even then, I am not sure what I said would be enough. They asked for my MINIMUM salary requirement, and I said high 40s, but that leaves me no money for anything other than my required bills.

The cheapest place I could find was $1200 a month. Most places had 2-3 month wait lists for an apartment unit.

$1200 a month is $14,400 a year, and the gross salary of that is just over $19,000. Expect to spend ~ 50% of your salary on rent if you are making that kind of money and want a small 1 bedroom apartment. If you want something nice, or with some room, expect to pay more. The cost of groceries are very high (it was $4 for a little carton of Tropicana fruit punch...it sells for about $1.50 here in NC).

Everyone was quite friendly, but the weather is as advertised: cold and windy. The city looked nice, with lots of new construction mixed with older buildings and it is quite charming.

That said, I could live in a penthouse in Charlotte for what I would spend on a small, but decent, apartment in Bismarck.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:10 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,348,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeToWork View Post
I, too, was just in Bismarck. I was flown in for follow up interviews and the company was generous enough to say they will reimburse me for my visit (I just got back, and they say they are mailing a check Thursday).

They seemed oblivious to the rental prices and I had to ask for more money, and even then, I am not sure what I said would be enough. They asked for my MINIMUM salary requirement, and I said high 40s, but that leaves me no money for anything other than my required bills.

The cheapest place I could find was $1200 a month. Most places had 2-3 month wait lists for an apartment unit.

$1200 a month is $14,400 a year, and the gross salary of that is just over $19,000. Expect to spend ~ 50% of your salary on rent if you are making that kind of money and want a small 1 bedroom apartment. If you want something nice, or with some room, expect to pay more. The cost of groceries are very high (it was $4 for a little carton of Tropicana fruit punch...it sells for about $1.50 here in NC).

Everyone was quite friendly, but the weather is as advertised: cold and windy. The city looked nice, with lots of new construction mixed with older buildings and it is quite charming.

That said, I could live in a penthouse in Charlotte for what I would spend on a small, but decent, apartment in Bismarck.
Apartments

You'll find numerous rentals far cheaper than the $1,200 one you found on that site.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM

12 posts, read 18,825 times
I'm currently staying at days inn in minot. I'm paying $69 per night. The commute is costly and it's impossible to save for a home paying this much! And just to be clear, my husband does work in oil. He is a water hauler A.D. we are far from rich! He bring.hs home $5000/mo at the most. Take out $3000/no for rent and $1000/mo for food and you have next to nothing to pay for gas and household needs. We have 3 children and have decided that to survive the kids a ND I have to go back home and they won't know Their dad! By the way, he works 84 hours/wk to make $5000/mo.

Old 12-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Also we wouldn't treat you locals bad if our kids ,oils go to school without being picked on by yours! I was black Friday shopping in Dickinson when my sister bumped into a local. I apologized and then was chastened about shopping that sale while Im rich. Hey locals, we are not rich. we are just trying to feed our children.

Old 12-03-2013, 02:18 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,206,169 times
5000 monthly take home pay is roughly 90k a year gross. Compared to the locals, who usually didn't make above 50k/yr before 2010, you are rich.

To stay in the hotel long term is pure folly. 70/night is 2100/mo and taxes at that rate are not 30/night. I'm not certain how you come up with 3000k a month but 2500k is a better mark. You could find something in town for that. A 200k mortgage with 20% down is about 1000 a month. If you wanted to live in town, you could. I'm sorry your kids got bullied but odds are that it was other oil worker kids that were doing it. The locals are far outnumbered by newcommers in most Western ND schools.

Old 12-04-2013, 04:25 AM

75 posts, read 161,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starvinginnorthdakota View Post
I'm currently staying at days inn in minot. I'm paying $69 per night. The commute is costly and it's impossible to save for a home paying this much! And just to be clear, my husband does work in oil. He is a water hauler A.D. we are far from rich! He bring.hs home $5000/mo at the most. Take out $3000/no for rent and $1000/mo for food and you have next to nothing to pay for gas and household needs. We have 3 children and have decided that to survive the kids a ND I have to go back home and they won't know Their dad! By the way, he works 84 hours/wk to make $5000/mo.
Rent for a nice 2 BR 1 BA with a garage is around $ 1,200.00/mo in Minot. Why are you still in a Hotel? If you husband is at about $ 7,000.00/mo now hauling water, he should be at about $ 10,000.00/mo at the end of his second year. Experience in the oil field pays well. Be proactive. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2013, 09:55 AM

We don't have a 600 credit score which is required to rent here. The privately owned ones we're flooded and still drink! I'm not a snob but that is gross!! I am only paying $59/ night now tax exempt!! At $1900 it's just like a sub par apartment but I get free hot breakfast and a pool. They also let us swim at the other pool with water slides!! Changed my frame of mind. It's a long vacation now! My kids love it. In a few months, we will find something permanent. Buying a mobile home seems to be the best plan of action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota