Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,150,354 times

Advertisements

I had posted a pretty trite response last evening, but deleted it because I do not like to interact negatively on this forum. I will post a revised version, and attempt to keep the peace, while voicing my opinion.

I have offered much advice, to folks re: housing situation, as have so many others. The local folks have been dealing w/ so many deplorable situations, and many would point the finger at the oil boom, and liken it to the "Gold Rush" centuries ago.

Now, present day folks renting their basement apartments out, for the "going" rate I don't believe are criminals. But, I do not have access to their tax records, nor I suppose would anyone else.

Why blame folks trying to earn a bit of "a piece of the pie" like so many others are doing, including those looking to relocate.
Blaming one "slumlord" after another will never ingratiate you to N.D. folks.

Especially when so many of the local residents that really have a reason to gripe are going thru the same conditions w/out a "new" income.

Living situations, and paying the horrible prices for every thing needed to subsist in the stratified economy that has become the reality for all parts of Western N.D. affects ALL of US. Don't blast a whole population for these conditions.

And, getting your rent in cash, instead of waiting for nearly 2 weeks for a rent check to clear your bank account is "just" good business, imo. Don't like a place, don't rent it.

Last edited by JanND; 01-13-2012 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: spaced for legibility
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 AM

57 posts, read 101,051 times
[b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND; [/b
And, getting your rent in cash, instead of waiting for nearly 2 weeks for a rent check to clear your bank account is "just" good business, imo. Don't like a place, don't rent it.
The reason they want CASH is so they don't have to claim it on their TAXES. Come on Jan, you know this. It has nothing to do with 'good business' and everything to do with tax fraud. The IRS and ND State Tax investigators could recover millions in undeclared income. You know what the biggest scam these landlords do Jan? They keep your security deposit regardless of what condition you left your apartment in and they never claim this on thier taxes either. A security deposit in NOT landlord income and they are supposed to refund it with simple interest.

Example of how the scam works: A landlord has a 20 unit apartment complex and is renting units for $2500/month with $2500 secuity deposit required. That's $50,000 in secuity deposit money that he CAN NOT use as INCOME. He then just keeps the security deposit money when you move out and tells you to 'take me to court' and laughs because the system is so backed up he knows most will just grumble and move on. He just made $50,000 untaxed dollars that he does not claim on his income taxes. See how it works? I've been told this same story over and over by MANY people here in Dickinson. The security deposit scam is huge out here and most of you will NEVER get it back. Many of these native ND folks are not the salt of the earth people you seem to think they are. They'd fit in well in your native state of California for sure.

Last edited by ndrelocation; 01-13-2012 at 06:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota