U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 10:27 AM

57 posts, read 31,638 times

Advertisements

Alternatives to Oil field work. Jobs that are in VERY high demand in the Bakken area that pay just as good or BETTER than oil patch workers. Observations from my trip to Dickinson:

1) Railroad workers (massive rail expansion for oil transportation)
2) Carpenters-metal framers
3) Roofers
4) Drywall workers
5) Diesel Mechanics (huge demand)
6) Auto Mechanics (ditto)
7) Shop Fabrication Welders (unbelievable demand for Welders)
8) Doctors
9) Dentists
10) Hairstylists
11) Waitresses (many making $1000 a wk in tips)
12) Electricians
13) Plumbers
14) Anything Metal Fabrication related (machinist, CNC operators etc)
15) Drug Screening sample collectors-lab workers
16) Utility workers-linemen, telephone, TV sat installation etc
17) Bartenders (these people like to drink)
18) Police ---to keep the drinkers in check
19) Social workers
20) Nurses
21) Anything medical related
22) Surveyors
23) Strippers-exotic dancers
24) Cooks
25) Carpet cleaners (everyplace needs a shampoo)
26) Office workers as in secretary, schedulers etc
27) Travel planners

There are many more but these are the signs and want ads from my notes. The easiest jobs to get that don't involve working outside in the freezing cold are shop welders, metal fabricators anything metal related. Numerous modern shops all over the place with huge signs up that say things like "ARE YOU COLD YET?"" OUR SHOP IS HEATED & MODERN COME INSIDE FOR THE WINTER. Pay is very competative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2012, 11:03 AM

80 posts, read 179,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndrelocation View Post
Alternatives to Oil field work. Jobs that are in VERY high demand in the Bakken area that pay just as good or BETTER than oil patch workers. Observations from my trip to Dickinson:

1) Railroad workers (massive rail expansion for oil transportation)
2) Carpenters-metal framers
3) Roofers
4) Drywall workers
5) Diesel Mechanics (huge demand)
6) Auto Mechanics (ditto)
7) Shop Fabrication Welders (unbelievable demand for Welders)
8) Doctors
9) Dentists
10) Hairstylists
11) Waitresses (many making $1000 a wk in tips)
12) Electricians
13) Plumbers
14) Anything Metal Fabrication related (machinist, CNC operators etc)
15) Drug Screening sample collectors-lab workers
16) Utility workers-linemen, telephone, TV sat installation etc
17) Bartenders (these people like to drink)
18) Police ---to keep the drinkers in check
19) Social workers
20) Nurses
21) Anything medical related
22) Surveyors
23) Strippers-exotic dancers
24) Cooks
25) Carpet cleaners (everyplace needs a shampoo)
26) Office workers as in secretary, schedulers etc
27) Travel planners

There are many more but these are the signs and want ads from my notes. The easiest jobs to get that don't involve working outside in the freezing cold are shop welders, metal fabricators anything metal related. Numerous modern shops all over the place with huge signs up that say things like "ARE YOU COLD YET?"" OUR SHOP IS HEATED & MODERN COME INSIDE FOR THE WINTER. Pay is very competative.
What do shop welders make?

Old 01-14-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dafeeder View Post
What do shop welders make?
Anything less than $20/hr is an insult from what I hear. It's not my line of work but I heard $25 and up for the right person. Pipe welders and pressure vessel welders get the highest pay. Railroads need welders also and I know these guys are union and get around $26.00/hr and are part of the Federal Railroad workers pension instead of Social Security. Field construction work is even higher if it's pipe. Storage tanks are huge here and that's all you see driving down the road on heavy wideload trucks. They park about 3 to 5 of these next to an oil well and the tanker trucks come and drain them for transportation to the railyard tankers who then ship them on miles long train off to some refinery somewhere.
At least I think that's how it's done. Not very efficient but with no pipelines available, this is how it has to be done for now. These are large corporations also. Not sure if the moderators will let me list them but here are some names I saw with brand new fab shops in Dickinson:

Steffes Corp
Leam
Ferellgas
Stallion
SolarBee
MBI Energy
Contex Energy
Fischer
Marathon
Halliburton
+ many others that speicalize in heavy equipement repair and modification

Benefits most likely start at day one like health, dental eye, 401K etc. Huge potential for promotion to the right person from what I heard. If you can speak well, are not covered in jailhouse tats up to your neck, can pass a criminal background check, have internet office skills or have any type of college, you'll probabaly be promoted very fast.

The only monkey wrench in all of this is the lack of housing.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:11 PM

80 posts, read 179,806 times
Thank You

Old 01-14-2012, 02:31 PM

581 posts, read 1,569,014 times
ETS - Residential & Commercial Off-peak heating - Manufacturing - Engineering | Steffes Corporat

This company has a great website. Click on careers and see job listings and job descriptions. Very impressive!

Old 01-14-2012, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Anything less than $20/hr is an insult from what I hear. It's not my line of work but I heard $25 and up for the right person. Pipe welders and pressure vessel welders get the highest pay. Railroads need welders also and I know these guys are union and get around $26.00/hr and are part of the Federal Railroad workers pension instead of Social Security. Field construction work is even higher if it's pipe. Storage tanks are huge here and that's all you see driving down the road on heavy wideload trucks. They park about 3 to 5 of these next to an oil well and the tanker trucks come and drain them for transportation to the railyard tankers who then ship them on miles long train off to some refinery somewhere.
At least I think that's how it's done. Not very efficient but with no pipelines available, this is how it has to be done for now. These are large corporations also. Not sure if the moderators will let me list them but here are some names I saw with brand new fab shops in Dickinson:

Steffes Corp
Leam
Ferellgas
Stallion
SolarBee
MBI Energy
Contex Energy
Fischer
Marathon
Halliburton
+ many others that speicalize in heavy equipement repair and modification

Benefits most likely start at day one like health, dental eye, 401K etc. Huge potential for promotion to the right person from what I heard. If you can speak well, are not covered in jailhouse tats up to your neck, can pass a criminal background check, have internet office skills or have any type of college, you'll probabaly be promoted very fast.

The only monkey wrench in all of this is the lack of housing.
These are production tanks that sit on well sites. They are not moved from site to site they are permanent structure for the life of the well. There are rental tanks that look similar to these but are not adjoined with a catwalk. Those tanks (400bbls capacity) are moved with the drilling rig from site to site.

Rugged Oil Field Tanks 100-200-300-400-500 BBL - API 12F Tanks. Get Quote Today.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
These are production tanks that sit on well sites. They are not moved from site to site they are permanent structure for the life of the well. There are rental tanks that look similar to these but are not adjoined with a catwalk. Those tanks (400bbls capacity) are moved with the drilling rig from site to site.

Rugged Oil Field Tanks 100-200-300-400-500 BBL - API 12F Tanks. Get Quote Today.
I know they also make them in several places around dickinson as I saw the factories.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
I know they also make them in several places around dickinson as I saw the factories.
Many own, rent, transport them but few actually manufacture them. Another hot spot for tank building is Fargo Tank...in Fargo.

Old 01-14-2012, 03:16 PM

I guess Fargo Tank isn't the proper name anymore. It's True North Steel.

Production Tanks, Skid Tanks, Flowback/Flock Tanks and Catch Tanks from TrueNorth Steel

Old 01-14-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
I guess Fargo Tank isn't the proper name anymore. It's True North Steel.

Production Tanks, Skid Tanks, Flowback/Flock Tanks and Catch Tanks from TrueNorth Steel
Yes, those are the tanks. There is at least one factory making them in Dickinson as I saw the rolled steel, unpainted steel in the laydown yard and the finished product being trucked away from the other side of the brand new factory. I can't remember what street it was on. By the way, there are oil rigs right up to the edge of Dickinson now and all the way out past Belfield towards Therodore Roosevelt National Park. Rumor is they are heading South soon towards New England. I took a drive down there and it's as wide open praire as you'll see anyplace. Not for long though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota