Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 12:33 PM

32 posts, read 102,129 times

Advertisements

Yeah, Canada is pretty strict. My uncle, who is now close to 50, almost couldn't get through to go on a fishing trip last year with his cousins and my grandpa. My uncle who doesn't even touch a sip of alcohol anymore and hasn't drank in years (personal choice), got a DUI in his early 20s. And that was the reason he got pulled in and questioned along with everyone in the group and barely let in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 02:45 PM

443 posts, read 804,759 times
[quote=scorpio125;22632044]Ursa22 come on now... I've been to Canada 12 times.... I have a DUI all I did is flash my passport and ID and away I go.

Do you really think that Canada Border Patrol can run back ground checks on everyone?

LOL that is so comical, I want my 30 seconds back that I spent writing this.[/QUOT

The U.S. and Canada share a criminal records database at the border, it is as simple as running your plates or Drivers' License. Your prior convictions show up. Any time you have contact with law enforcement, they run your info. and know your story.
I'd advise you to stay out of Canada.

Last edited by ursa22; 01-20-2012 at 03:40 PM.. Reason: spaced away from quote

Old 01-20-2012, 04:59 PM

57 posts, read 101,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Be sure you make yourself aware of all the laws both sides of border. Have heard stories of folks getting banned for pepper spray, etc. I would call border patrol for both sides. And, truthfully I wouldn't want to cross the border daily, quite intimidating. But, on short term might be worth it. Make sure if you have any record, that you will get to cross. Heard if you have felony no getting into Canada? Not sure about a misdemeanor.
Agreed Jan. Any DUI's, felony arrests warrants, probation violations, or anything drug related and Canada will turn you over to US Customs and ban you from Canada for life. No guns, bullets that fell on the floor of your pickup truck from a hunting trip, pepper spray or even hunting knives. You'll end up in a Canadian jail real fast. Shared database between Canada and the USA is a fact. They swipe your passport, and ANY warrants or criminal records come up instantly. You are being photgraphed in your car as you approach the customs booth. Facial recognition software is checking you against any wanted mug shots in the blink of an eye. Your passport is already up on thier screen in the customs booth due to the RFID biometrics chip in your passport before you even hand it to the customs official. I pity the poor oil boom felons (fools) who think they have nothing to fear when they lie to the customs officials. They are in for one long trip, I can assure you of that. Welcome to the post-911 world.

If you travel daily over the border, you can get NEXUS pass which means you've been pre-screened by both Canada and the USA and you will fly through customs. They have a seperate lane on the busy border crossing but I'm sure traffic is not much of an issue out your way. NEXUS Pass is a must have if you are daily commuting to and from Canada.

Here's the NEXUS pass link:
U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel

Here is some info on the RFID Biometrics Chips installed in all US Passports since 2006

WASHINGTON -- By October 2006, the U.S. government will require nearly all of the passports it issues to include a computer chip containing the passport holder's personal information, according to regulations published this week.
Starting in early 2006, the U.S. Department of State will begin issuing passports with 64-kilobyte RFID (radio frequency identification) chips that will contain the name, nationality, gender, date of birth, and place of birth of the passport holder, as well as a digitized photograph of that person.
The chip's contents will match the data on the paper portion of the passport, improving passport security by making it more difficult for criminals to tamper with passports, backers say. U.S. government efforts to make passports harder to forge began in response to the terrorist attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001.

Last edited by ndrelocation; 01-20-2012 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 06:05 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,139,365 times
I forgot to mention as of 2010(?), passports are required for anyone crossing into Canada, even North Dakotans.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:41 PM

22 posts, read 77,728 times
I'm thinking Canada, too, and my reduced 2 DWI's on paper (aka Driving While Ability Impaired), and under revocation associated with them convictions, are over 10 years old. I have no felonies and I do have an active passport. However, I'd hate to find out the hard way at the boarder that I can't get in and end up on the Locked Up Abroad show (lol, lol).

I think there are ways around it. Maybe coming clean with a good verifiable explanation will win over boarder patrol. However, I won't do it until I have a job, something in the bank that states I have money to day and a job to verify that I'm coming back.

What's funny is that I can go to Mexico, and I can even go to India, but I can't go to Canada and I have a Midwestern accent like a Canadian with a cold.

Last edited by Wiscomtngrrl; 04-08-2012 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: adding stuff

Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 PM

90 posts, read 354,908 times
Don't' need a passport if you live in WA state; just get an Enhanced License and your off too the races. It has all the bio goodies too track you built into the License.... Still got mines = D

Old 04-30-2012, 07:35 PM

72,870 posts, read 62,330,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordNativenowSeattle View Post
Don't' need a passport if you live in WA state; just get an Enhanced License and your off too the races. It has all the bio goodies too track you built into the License.... Still got mines = D
What if you live in the state of Georgia?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota