Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 12:10 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing no one has any answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Green-Mariner No one is trying to dis you, but it probably isn't the lack of answers....You sort of buried your questions in a thread w/ a different topic....also it is that all these same questions have been asked, answered and repeatedly asked, answered. Unless you want to start a new thread, using your exact question....Easiest to point you to doing a search on the N.D. forum, using your key words, various threads will come up. Read those, and any others that apply....Your asking multiple questions, things that take a lot of energy to cover, and have multiple answers, been there done that got the t-shirt. Welcome to the forum.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Green-Mariner No one is trying to dis you, but it probably isn't the lack of answers....You sort of buried your questions in a thread w/ a different topic....also it is that all these same questions have been asked, answered and repeatedly asked, answered. Unless you want to start a new thread, using your exact question....Easiest to point you to doing a search on the N.D. forum, using your key words, various threads will come up. Read those, and any others that apply....Your asking multiple questions, things that take a lot of energy to cover, and have multiple answers, been there done that got the t-shirt. Welcome to the forum.
I had to ask because I hear of "blight". I never envision blight in North Dakota. And from what I am hearing just now, some people are not happy about the oil boom. It made me ask questions because I might want to go up there to get a job. I also wanted to hear a local take on this.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:22 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,709,844 times
This article should be a warning to Williston and North Dakota in general. There is a dangerous ramp up in property values in the western part of the state, and it is inevitable going to pop. Just the other day someone was trying to hock a 8 unit apartment building for $2 million. The seller claims all eight units rented for $3000 a month. Yeah, that will just about cover the mortgage now, but what happens three or five year from now when you're only renting three of them for $700 a month. Not to mention the bond payments the cities and counties will be stuck with.

Stockton: The town the housing boom broke | Reuters

Old 03-19-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
This article should be a warning to Williston and North Dakota in general. There is a dangerous ramp up in property values in the western part of the state, and it is inevitable going to pop. Just the other day someone was trying to hock a 8 unit apartment building for $2 million. The seller claims all eight units rented for $3000 a month. Yeah, that will just about cover the mortgage now, but what happens three or five year from now when you're only renting three of them for $700 a month. Not to mention the bond payments the cities and counties will be stuck with.

Stockton: The town the housing boom broke | Reuters
From that perspective, that can cause blight if no one wants to rent that apartment. The question is: What do you do about it?

Old 03-19-2012, 07:42 PM

443 posts, read 806,145 times
Default Blighted former AFB Northwest of Williston

[HD] St. Marie - A Montana Ghost Town - near abandoned Glasgow AFB, Montana MT - YouTube
Who says there's a regional housing shortage?

Old 03-19-2012, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Why not just take that area, clean it up, and make it livable? Yes, there is blight there. I also see the potential to build something new there. I envision something else being there, something greater.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Why not just take that area, clean it up, and make it livable? Yes, there is blight there. I also see the potential to build something new there. I envision something else being there, something greater.
I was thinking the same thing. These houses don't look that old, I guess that is what the harsh weather can do to them if not maintained. According to Wikipedia the town was auctioned off to private owners, so I assume someone owns it. It looks like the place even has it's own power plant. I would think some survivalists would love it.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
Thanks for posting this. For some reason I find modern ghost towns fascinating. This type is really unusual, as most of them are created by toxic or environmental hazards. It looks like this one was just too remote and could not sustain itself once the base closed. I'll definitely keep this on my list of places to visit.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
This house is in Montana. The article is focusing on a different "blight". Increased crime, Infrastructure, resources, state agencies i.e. 911, police, hospital, etc. The lack of housing is a major issue. Just read the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota