U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 06:11 AM

4 posts, read 14,089 times

Advertisements

Hello North Dakota

My wife and I are considering a move to North Dakota. We currently live in northern Michigan. She is a registered nurse and I am in office equipment repair/IT. We have a son who is attending MSUM in Moorhead, and lives in Fargo. We have visited several times and enjoyed the area. As you may be aware, Michigan's economy is in bad shape. The company I work for has downsized several times in the last few years. We are ready to jump ship. Fargo or Bismarck? Info? Contacts? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 11:39 AM

246 posts, read 700,145 times
Between the two, Bismarck is my top choice. I like how the area is more spread out, and it feels as if its warmer there than Fargo. Also, there is a really big Job boom in Bismarck, lots of new businesses going up. Also, no Flooding issues to worry about out there from what I have seen.

Fargo is my second choice of all the places in ND to live and we live here now. But I do prefer Bismarck over Fargo.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:59 PM

132 posts, read 401,330 times
The nice thing about living in Fargo is that it's closer to Minneapolis. The nice thing about Bismarck is that you get to live in Bismarck. Really a matter of I taste i suppose (good taste vs. bad taste) but I'd go with Bismarck.

To bad to hear about Michigan's economy. You should really go ahead & discover some oil. It seems to have been a great strategy for North Dakota.

Last edited by ebitdadada; 09-07-2007 at 12:05 AM.. Reason: gramatical parallelism between sentences

Old 09-09-2007, 02:17 PM

8 posts, read 39,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpinegang View Post
Hello North Dakota

My wife and I are considering a move to North Dakota. We currently live in northern Michigan. She is a registered nurse and I am in office equipment repair/IT. We have a son who is attending MSUM in Moorhead, and lives in Fargo. We have visited several times and enjoyed the area. As you may be aware, Michigan's economy is in bad shape. The company I work for has downsized several times in the last few years. We are ready to jump ship. Fargo or Bismarck? Info? Contacts? Thank you.
I am a Realtor in Bismarck, I love this area, I am not from here but have lived in Mandan ND for 15 years. I can assure you there are plenty of jobs in the Bismarck area. The housing has increased in price an avg of 7% per year for the last 5 years, so a very good economical thing to do is purchase a home in our area. Please check out all of our new businesses that have built here in the past 18 mos. I can not even count all of them, and with many more starting to build here It will only keep increasing in price. Also very good resale in our area, an avg of less than 30 days on the mark

Last edited by Jammie; 09-09-2007 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: for got to sign off. cannot list your name and realty company

Old 09-18-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpumove View Post
I am a Realtor in Bismarck, I love this area, I am not from here but have lived in Mandan ND for 15 years. I can assure you there are plenty of jobs in the Bismarck area. The housing has increased in price an avg of 7% per year for the last 5 years, so a very good economical thing to do is purchase a home in our area. Please check out all of our new businesses that have built here in the past 18 mos. I can not even count all of them, and with many more starting to build here It will only keep increasing in price. Also very good resale in our area, an avg of less than 30 days on the mark
We would probably rent initially, however, would buy within a year of relocating. Do you have a short list of pictures, etc. Just the two of us. 1-2 bedroom, 50k-150k, 5-10% down.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:54 PM

13,496 posts, read 25,440,038 times
You're free to use DM (Direct message) for buying or renting a home. Thank you.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:19 PM

428 posts, read 1,118,886 times
Default Bismarck, ND

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackpinegang View Post
Hello North Dakota

I would consider Bismarck. Even though I live in Minot, ND, I watch the job ads consistently. Bismarck is constantly advertising for IT personnell and RN's. So finding a job will not be a problem. Look at Job Service North Dakota to see what is available. If that doesn't help you, contact me and I'll direct you to the sites that is advertising for IT personnell. Welcome to ND.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:49 PM

8 posts, read 39,366 times
You can find rentals on Bismarck Mandan Free Classifieds | Bismarck, ND Classifieds

Old 10-15-2007, 02:23 PM

Default music scene, outdoor activities bismarck

Interested in info concerning music scene and outdoor activities in the bismarck area. I have been researching the area, and would like additional information. Hobbies are fishing, jogging, cross country skiing, biking, also play guitat in a local blues band. I(we) have started researching job opportunities and housing, so are interested in local cultural and recreational opportunities. Thank you.

Old 10-17-2007, 02:44 PM

246 posts, read 700,145 times
All your outdoor stuff should easily be covered in and around bismarck. As for the music part, I don't see why you couldn't find a group to join.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota