U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-05-2012, 03:25 PM

28 posts, read 34,570 times

Advertisements

Currently living in WA state, and looking to move to ND...mostly for the employment opportunities.

Firstly - anyone know what Satellite Installation Techs make out there? I saw a few companies hiring but none said what the pay rate was.

Beyond that...what's the best part of ND to move to? I'm thinking between the 3 major cities for the most part, I have 3 little ones and a wife so moving to those small towns near the oil fields that lack housing isn't really an option.

From what I've read, people are friendlier in ND over-all. That would be a refreshing change of pace from the nasty passive-aggressive attitude I find in Seattle. I'm from Buffalo, NY originally, so snow and winter is nothing new to me either.

So far as I can see, employment in the 3 major cities is roughly the same. There anything more than just what shows on the surface there? I've noticed Craigslist is pretty bare for anywhere in ND when it comes to jobs.

Also curious about utility-cost/taxes etc in the area. WA state has no state income tax, however our sales tax is like 9.9%.

One other thing...is it sunny there a lot? I don't care if snow is on the ground, I just hate an area that is overcast all the time...we get like 300+ cloudy days a year here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 07:54 PM

33 posts, read 76,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tounces7 View Post
Currently living in WA state, and looking to move to ND...mostly for the employment opportunities.

Firstly - anyone know what Satellite Installation Techs make out there? I saw a few companies hiring but none said what the pay rate was.

Beyond that...what's the best part of ND to move to? I'm thinking between the 3 major cities for the most part, I have 3 little ones and a wife so moving to those small towns near the oil fields that lack housing isn't really an option.

From what I've read, people are friendlier in ND over-all. That would be a refreshing change of pace from the nasty passive-aggressive attitude I find in Seattle. I'm from Buffalo, NY originally, so snow and winter is nothing new to me either.

So far as I can see, employment in the 3 major cities is roughly the same. There anything more than just what shows on the surface there? I've noticed Craigslist is pretty bare for anywhere in ND when it comes to jobs.

Also curious about utility-cost/taxes etc in the area. WA state has no state income tax, however our sales tax is like 9.9%.

One other thing...is it sunny there a lot? I don't care if snow is on the ground, I just hate an area that is overcast all the time...we get like 300+ cloudy days a year here.
I'm not exactly sure what your job pays here. I don't know any satellite techs.

With the 3 major cities, I'm assuming you mean Fargo, Bismarck, and Grand Forks. You shouldn't have any problem finding affordable housing in Fargo or Forks, Bismarck I'm not sure about. All three cities have a variety of education options. Personally, I like the eastern part of the state.

People are generally friendly. You will meet jerks, but... nothing you can do about that.

Job Service North Dakota might give you a better look at employment figures and it's a good start to finding a job.

To me, it feels like it's sunny here a lot. According to this website, North Dakota Tourism : About North Dakota : North Dakota Weather Data , it's over 200 days with sunshine per year.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:59 PM

224 posts, read 516,029 times
There are a bunch of jobs listed on job service for satellite techs. You can't really go wrong with any area of North Dakota, I've lived all over. If you someday want to transition into an oilfield position, you might want to try Bismarck, it's closer to the oil patch, and you could network for a position working in Oilfield communications someday. I'd pick Fargo over Grand Forks for entertainment purposes, but the people in GF are really great too. If you want peace and quiet, go to a small town.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:04 AM

8,394 posts, read 7,482,327 times
LOL, coming from Seattle all three N.D. big cities will feel like small towns to you. I live in G.F., it is decent, UND is here, Fargo has NDSU, Concordia, MSUM in Moorehead MN(across river) if your wife considers school something she might like. As Tundra said Fargo has more nightlife, more restaurants. Either Fargo or G.F. would be decent moves, unless Bismarck's proximity to oil interests you. Between Fargo and G.F. rents are generally cheaper in Fargo, and it is closer distance to Twin Cities & places like MN Mall of America, and lots other MN outdoor activities. Good luck on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota