Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:54 PM

73 posts, read 94,738 times

Advertisements

So I was going to go up there and just live in a tent and go hardcore to find work. But the more I look at stuff i'm thinking it may be best to wait a year and get a year of OTR for truck driving. Anyone know what would best choice for someone with no oil experience and such? Thanks for all the helpguys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 PM

60 posts, read 95,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Cracker View Post
So I was going to go up there and just live in a tent and go hardcore to find work. But the more I look at stuff i'm thinking it may be best to wait a year and get a year of OTR for truck driving. Anyone know what would best choice for someone with no oil experience and such? Thanks for all the helpguys
I would not recommend trucking. Trucking has no future and if you get into oilfield work or construction you have a skill to take with you. Truckers are a dime a dozen and in ten to fifteen years truckers will be all foreigners. Trucking is going the way of the busboy, Gardner and dish washer.
You have to remember you need to have a good year at least driving. We had a guy with 10 years driving perfectly, fell asleep, jackknifed and was fired. If you fall asleep and run off the road in your own car going home from your construction/oil/office job you won't get fired over it.
Plus the driving up there is construction, dirt roads, bad weather etc. You won't learn that driving up and down an interstate.
If you really want to do it, I would only do it if they will get you your CDL for free and train you, then go for it.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:37 PM

Yeah the company i'm going to I'd I do will pay for it all for 12 months of commitment so

Old 03-06-2012, 06:25 PM

941 posts, read 1,914,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathanphilosophy View Post
I would not recommend trucking. Trucking has no future and if you get into oilfield work or construction you have a skill to take with you. Truckers are a dime a dozen and in ten to fifteen years truckers will be all foreigners. Trucking is going the way of the busboy, Gardner and dish washer.
You have to remember you need to have a good year at least driving. We had a guy with 10 years driving perfectly, fell asleep, jackknifed and was fired. If you fall asleep and run off the road in your own car going home from your construction/oil/office job you won't get fired over it.
Plus the driving up there is construction, dirt roads, bad weather etc. You won't learn that driving up and down an interstate.
If you really want to do it, I would only do it if they will get you your CDL for free and train you, then go for it.
I am sorry but I highly disagree. Trucking is just as much a skill as other trades, it is something you must learn to do and follow a procesure to do it. To me, that's a skill!!

Graham_cracker, I think you know the best for yourself. If you want to be on safe side then take the free training offer, just remember though if for whatever reason something goes wrong with them, the payback is pretty hefty. You can be a loyal, hard-working person but sometimes it is the company who is in the bad and to me that is a high price to pay for commiting a year to them. But if you see they have good reputation then go for it!!! My husband almost went this route but I talked him out of it, the schools have great salespeople and sounds so tempting, but there is still that little voice saying not to do it. The other route is more my style if I was the one doing it(it is my husband,lol) but everyone is different and the best decision is always what your gut tells you is best...Good luck!!!

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laina1980 View Post
I am sorry but I highly disagree. Trucking is just as much a skill as other trades, it is something you must learn to do and follow a procesure to do it. To me, that's a skill!!

Graham_cracker, I think you know the best for yourself. If you want to be on safe side then take the free training offer, just remember though if for whatever reason something goes wrong with them, the payback is pretty hefty. You can be a loyal, hard-working person but sometimes it is the company who is in the bad and to me that is a high price to pay for commiting a year to them. But if you see they have good reputation then go for it!!! My husband almost went this route but I talked him out of it, the schools have great salespeople and sounds so tempting, but there is still that little voice saying not to do it. The other route is more my style if I was the one doing it(it is my husband,lol) but everyone is different and the best decision is always what your gut tells you is best...Good luck!!!
Fine, don't listen to the ex-trucker. When they fire you for the teensiest screw up (since they have a financial incentive to do so) after 10 months of work and hand you a bill for that free trucking school don't say I didn't warn you.
To be fair I didn't listen when people told me not to do it either.

Old 03-07-2012, 02:21 PM

Jon you really dont help new drivers feel like there is a market in driving if your a driver yourself. My brother has been driving for 3 years now fine. My uncle did it for 15 years fine. I'm not sure if the reason your an ex driver is cause you got fired and now are jaded but please if you dont have anything constructive to say keep it to yourself. I'm trying to see my options as i have two little boys im trying to support and make sure they have a good life. Ty

Old 03-07-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Fine, don't listen to the ex-trucker. When they fire you for the teensiest screw up (since they have a financial incentive to do so) after 10 months of work and hand you a bill for that free trucking school don't say I didn't warn you.
To be fair I didn't listen when people told me not to do it either.
When I did research on truck driving for my husband, I read stories like this on a truckers forum. But most often the long time truckers would come in and say there is always more to a story of the ones who get let go from doing a driving error. Often they said, they were the drivers who had problems wherever they went.

Old 03-07-2012, 07:33 PM

Go get a CDL and see for yourself.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Go get a CDL and see for yourself.
You seriously need to get rid of that CDL I think it is ruining your life.
Let it go and find something that truly makes you happy.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:50 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham_Cracker View Post
Yeah the company i'm going to I'd I do will pay for it all for 12 months of commitment so
Frankly, I'd be very careful about signing a contract in order to get your CDL.
The only hard part about a CDL is getting ahold of a truck for some driving time for practice, as well as to take the test with. You might want to explore other options first. My father in law, for example, got his CDL about 12 years ago by doing nothing more than driving the neighbor's truck/cattle pot a few times...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota