U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 AM

18,696 posts, read 35,410,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrone10011 View Post
the hubbys view of the trip
we had a really nice ride of 2320 miles from south of Fort Myers, Florida to Minot, North Dakota pulling a 4000 lb. trailer with a dodge nitro we got an average 12 miles to the gallon. Had a few white knuckle experiances and a few wrong turns just had to turn the map right side up for the wife but all in all it was a beautiful trip. We left florida on wed. around 11 am and got to minot sat. at 7:30 p.m. just before sunset and got the trailer unhooked and setup the wife informed me that the trailer was out of level and I had to get out the 6 ft. level LOL. After we got all setup we went into town for somthing to eat not much difefrent than traffic in south fla. We road around checking things out and got lost or sightseeing as i call it. Glad to be here can't wait to get our life adventure started in N.D. thanks for everyone's help, blessings and encouragement.

A
Quick lesson. Put the level on the stove top and block accordingly. If the stove top is not level, your life will be miserable and she will hound you until hell freezes over. I don't care if you walk at a 30 degree angle going up a 10% grade in order to get to the bathroom, you may sleep where the blood rushes to your head, when you turn on the shower, even though it's pointed at the wall and it still squirts out the stall, just make sure that stove is level.

Life will be, oh so much, nicer.

In all seriousnouse. Make sure the refridgerator and stove are level. It is critical with the refer as it will operate a lot better. Should you find the refridgerator is not cooling like you want, check to see if you have settled and it is now unlevel. You cannot tell if the floor is a half of a bubble off, but you will certainly be able to tell if the refridgerator is.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-01-2012 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 11:26 AM

9 posts, read 27,224 times
Glad to see you guys made it safely!! My son will be leaving from Clearwater Florida at the end of May...any advice as what road NOT to take? lol

Old 04-01-2012, 02:49 PM

54 posts, read 102,208 times
elkhunter i took your advice got the stove level and now she is making me some homemade chicken soup got to love her. road around minot today made a few contacts Went to wally world it was packed every line open 20 people deep and then they came over the intercom cash only no credit or debit was a litle crazy.went down by the flooded out part of town sad to see all the ruind homes looks like are rebuilding and some torn down we know what its like been thought a few floods and hurricains. i'm glad the wind wasn't blowing this hard yesterday would have had a hard time pulling the trailer. thx A

Old 04-01-2012, 09:06 PM

54 posts, read 102,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmer View Post
Great posts! With three jobs lined up I am guessing your husband is a driver with experience. Is that right?

I am just starting to plan my move to ND. I have lots to do before I can even think of moving. I have a few contacts that are already in the Williston. I plan to learn from them what I can do to get a job and possible housing lined up.

NO I'M NOT GOING FOR A DRIVING JOB OR A JOB IN OIL.
I'M IN THE CONSTRUCTION TRADES FOARM AND CONCRETE FINISHER SO I CAME UP TO USE MY 25 YEARS OF SKILLS TO WORK. THEY ARE DOING ALOT OF BUILDING UP HERE AND SKILLED GUYS ARE GETING 25 AN HOUR TO START AND MORE IF YOUCAN RUN A CREW WORK 60 TO 70 HOURS A WEEK
SO IF YOU DO THE MATH ITS THE SAME IF NOT BETTER THAN THE OIL JOBS AND A LOT EASIER TO GET IN TO. THE JOBS THAT I HAVE REPLIED TO THAT OFFER ENTREY LEVEL JOBS STARTING AT 17 OR 18 A PLACE TO LIVE
ALTHOUGH IT'S A CAMPER THATS WHAT EVERYONE IS LIVING IN UP HERE
30$ A DAY PER DIEM AND A RIDE TO AND FROM THE JOB SITE. SO ANYONE TRYING TO GET INTO AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB COME UP LEARN A SKILL IN THE TRADES FOR A YEAR OR SO AND THEN TAKE THOSE SKILLS TO THE OIL FIELDS IF YOU CAN MAKE IT IN THE TRADES YOU CAN MAKE IT IN THE OILFIELD JOBS. GOOD LUCK TO YOU AND DO ALOT OF RESEARCH IT WILL PAY OFF IN THE LONG RUN

A

Last edited by ElkHunter; 04-01-2012 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 04-02-2012, 05:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,190 times
What a great thread to read. I'm glad you made it there safe and sound. I'm another Floridian preparing to move to either Williston or Minot at the end of the month. My job is downsizing and too many changes going on.
I have a lot of research and planning to do but I'm excited and a little scared but I see that's normal.
Thank you for creating this thread. Its sweet and positive. I like that.
Good luck with everything. Oh and I'm glad the stove is level for you, lol.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:04 PM

53 posts, read 302,602 times
Hello Everyone today is my hubby's 1st day of work. Being from Florida and it was so cold this morning I made him layer, layer, layer his clothes and take extras just in case. Did you ever watch the movie "The Christmas Story" the little brother....hopefully he has enough movement that he can work. lol I am sure as soon as he got out of my site he probably took at least one layer off. Anyway I am very happy for him, this has been a really long and hard decision to move here all the way from SW Fla, but we did it and so far everything has feel into place.
1. job offer
2. pack stuff
3. rented house
4. drove 2300 miles w/o any big issues and only 1 20 minitue rain storm
5. pulled into campground that we were lucky enough to have a site
6. acquired a post office box 7. one of us got a job and started work.
leaves
8. a job for me.

I actually feel like I belong here!!

Last edited by KTrone10011; 04-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: misspelled word

Old 04-03-2012, 03:43 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
You could always check w/ the restaurants, at least in Williston they are crying for help. Your hubby's hours will probably very very long....unless you want fulltime...which I would suggest office work in any oil field office............Than for part time just find the highest hrly for the least work.....lol Otherwise you will never see him.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 PM

Jan I would like an administrative position in the oil field...I am hoping that the employment agency I went to today can help with that.

Everyone A almost found his steel toed sandles.From Florida to North Dakota...Crazy...or a Great Move?-536198_10150804650058465_129446698464_11765006_1237320978_n.jpg

Old 04-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Elkhunter I discovered today that my stove is not level...A is now working from 6am to past 7pm...I am thinking of leveling it myself...sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!!

Old 04-03-2012, 07:34 PM

one more item for discussion. My camper is only 19 ft for me & hubby & abby (shih tzu). I am feeling crowed already and I haven't started working. To do one thing you have to rearrange 3 other things...and then put 4 things back. We pay 600 for lot rent. My thoughts are trade up for a bigger camper (ours is paid for 2010) and stay here. Payments with our trade in would be 200+ a few a month. Total month would be around 800. Or do we rent a house. Your suggestions will be helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota