U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 AM

8 posts, read 12,147 times

Advertisements

I would go with either minot or dickenson or maybe even bismark but prlly dickenson.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:01 PM

16,207 posts, read 23,866,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrone10011 View Post
I agree when I sat with the owner of the design shop I mention that. She didn't seem to agree with me. I started thinking on my marketing side...get with the builders...search city records of the new builders requesting permitting...come up with a partnership plan for builders...etc. I was so excited that I had to sit on my hands to keep from jumping up and down clapping.
How are you two??? Haven't seen an update this week. Hope all is well, and that you both are liking Minot. Update when you can. Jan

Old 04-21-2012, 04:43 PM

54 posts, read 111,401 times
just a short update.

I got my first week at the new job in and i love it. All the people are nice and easy to work with. Didn't start the super job yet maybe in 3 weeks waiting on permits till then got to pay my dues in the field. I got 55 hours in my first week should make for a nice pay day. also a guy that got to walmart sunday night walked onto the job site and asked for a job and he starts on tuesday so you know that they are looking for help, "good help". We are adjusting to our new surroundings every day the weather though is somthing else, it was 70 on saturday and snowing on monday and I had to work out in it I did just fine just had to layer up .We have been here 3 weeks and everyone has been really nice came across a few rude pepole but your going to get that where ever you go.
As far as the coast of living here we think it's about 15 to 20% cheaper here in Minot than in south Fla. As for rent it seems a little high but with the flood and the influx of new folks coming here to work thats just the old supply and demand. There is plenty of construction work going on retail and residential and inner structure like roads and bridge work and the supply chain that goes with it. So anyone thinking of coming up to work even if it's for the summer do all your research get a game plan together and go for it they need skilled people here. Other than not being able to figure out how to open the po box the water house freezing up a few times and the poopy hose backing up and still making wrong turns and the lines at walmart we are still glad to be in Minot. A

Old 04-21-2012, 04:50 PM

113 posts, read 226,746 times
Nice to hear!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:55 PM

Alan....thanks so much for the update. Kelly just messaged me back too. So glad to see you two are doing well. sounds like your job is a keeper!! Hoping Kelly will find her niche too, and she will. Keep us updated as you can...Take care...Jan

Old 04-28-2012, 02:51 PM

WE HAVE OUR FIRST 30 DAYS IN AND STILL LOVEN IT IN MINOT.

I LEARNED A FEW THINGS THE HARD WAY. 1. DON'T TRUST THE WEATHER MAN IT CAN BE 84 ONE DAY AND 38 THE NEXT WITH WIND CHILL OF 28 SO YOU NEED TO BE PREPARED FOR ANYTHING. 2. IF YOU BUY GLOVES THAT HAVE THE SMALL RIBS ON THEM DON'T WIPE YOU NOSE AS THEY WILL MAKE IT RAW AND SORE...LEARNED THIS ONE THE HARD WAY. THE JOB IS GOING JUST FINE AND THE WIFE STARTS HER NEW JOB ON TUES. (THANK YOU THANK YOU) AS SHE HAS HAD WAY TO MUCH TIME ON HER HANDS YOU GUYS SHOULD KNOW WHERE I'M COMING FROM...LOL IN THE TIME THAT WE HAVE BEEN HERE I MET A LOT OF GUYS FROM ALL OVER THE COUNTRY NORTH, SOUTH, EAST AND WEST ALL HAVE THE SAME STORY CAME FOR THE WORK. SOME SLEEPING IN THERE CAR OR TRUCK AND SOME IN THE WOODS IN A TENT...AFTER HEARING THEIR STORYS AND PROBLEMS I FEEL BLESSED TO HAVE OUR 18 FT. OF WARMTH AND DRYNESS ALL 190 SQ FEET OF IT.

AS FOR WORK IF YOU ARE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME YOU CAN GET A JOB IN DAYS IF NOT IT WILL TAKE A FEW WEEKS. THE PROBLEM BEING I THINK, IS SO MANY PEOPLE APPLYING AND BEING A LITTLE SHORT STAFFED. DON'T GET ME WRONG THERE IS PLENTY OF WORK IN EVERY TRADE IT JUST TAKES TIME AND PATIENCE SO A LITTLE PLANING AND RESEARCH WILL GO A LONG WAY IN YOUR SUCCESS OF GETING THAT JOB YOU ARE AFTER.

AS FAR AS THE COST OF LIVING WE THINK THINGS ARE A LOT CHEAPER IN N.D. THAN IN SOUTH FLA. AT LEAST IN THE MINOT AREA .THERE IS A HOUSING SHORTAGE BUT YOU CAN STILL FIND SOMETING MAYBE A LITTLE PRICEY BUT IT CAN BE FOUND AND THEY ARE BUILDING MORE AS FAST AS THEY CAN.

OTHER THAN THE RAIN (THE LAST 3 DAYS) NOT BEING PREPARED FOR THE WEATHER CHANGE AND FREEZING MY A-- OFF WE ARE STILL GLAD WE MADE THE MOVE NO REGRETS. OH YEA AND THE LINES AT WALMART.

A

Old 04-28-2012, 05:43 PM

Atrone....Thanks so much for the update. I can hardly believe it has been 30 days already!! Tell Kelly to have a wonderful first day at work. Glad she got her job. Good work you two...hope things continue to be good for you two. Keep us updated.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:54 AM

226 posts, read 461,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrone10011 View Post
one more item for discussion. My camper is only 19 ft for me & hubby & abby (shih tzu). I am feeling crowed already and I haven't started working. To do one thing you have to rearrange 3 other things...and then put 4 things back. We pay 600 for lot rent. My thoughts are trade up for a bigger camper (ours is paid for 2010) and stay here. Payments with our trade in would be 200+ a few a month. Total month would be around 800. Or do we rent a house. Your suggestions will be helpful.
Make sense go for it!

Old 07-21-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAJAN246 View Post
Make sense go for it!
Been a few months so i thought i would write a short update.
We are going on are 4th month and thing are working out good for both of us in Minot.
The wife got a job with a major furniture store in town and i'm doing well in the construction filed.
We have had a lot of firsts like hail the size of a quarter 70 mph winds out of no were a broken windshield on the car nice sized rock came off an oil truck and almost getting stuck in the mud on one of the back woods dirt roads when it was raining

Went on a road trip to Williston went south of minot about 25 miles then went west on the dirt roads and goat trails.lol We got there 5 hours latter( forgot) the map and the phone had limited reception for g.p.s. usage amazing trip though. Seen a lot of oil rigs and some of the most beautiful landscape with all the colors of yellow and blue and gold and coming across free range cattle in the road makes you think that you are lost in someones cow pasture.

We went to the town of Towner for the 4th missed the street dance but got to see the rodeo was a grate place to go to get that small town felling of American pride.
The state fair starts this week can't wait to go and try one of everything that they got deep fried on a stick .

We are both gratefully for the opportunity's we have been blessed with and the ones that are still to come. The only thing that gets to me is being called out of stater or outsider that we are ruining everything. I told one guy that i work with that i'm neither one i'm an American here to get a piece of the pie and right now you got moor pie than you can eat so be happy to share .

best of luck to all who make the journey

a

Old 08-25-2012, 01:26 PM

Update on are 5 th month

Wow it seems like only yesterday that we got here and started our adventure it went by fast and we still look at each other and say can you believe we are in N.D.

So to answer a few questions yes we are both in are 50s and we are in Minot we both got good jobs and yes there are plenty of jobs . We live in a rv park like most do but it's not bad we have good neighbor's and we all help and look out for each other. Last weekend we started skirting up a few of the trailers to get ready for winter and had a big cookout yes we are staying the winter in the trailer.

The first few month were a struggle for both of us mentally and financial I got a job in the first week and still there the wife had to bounce around for a while till she finally got a good job. I think the hardest thing for her was convincing the employer that we were hear to stay and not going to leave as soon as it got cold .After 3 interviews she got a job in sales with a major furniture company in town and she is on her
second month and did $75.000 in sales this month and they say it's the slow time of year.

Ok now back to the jobs oil is'nt the only thing out there there are jobs for everything. They are building schools roads, homes, retail and comical buildings to rail lines to ship the oil out . There is a lot of the oil services company's based out of Minot and they all have help wanted banners up. The city of Minot said on the news the other day that they are finishing up sewer and water project to 3.000 aces in the south west part of town this fall so thats a lot Moore residential home that can be built. Whats going on is here to stay so if you unemployed or underemployed or just need a change it's here. You may not get rich but it sure beets any Obama plan that your on now. Do all the research ask all the questions put a plan together and go for it Me and my wife are glad we made the move and feel blessed with every opportunity that has came our way since we have been here .We came as a team it wasn't easy but we made it happen it just takes grit faith and determination and you will find out what you are made of and come out a better person
in the end.

A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota