Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 07:41 AM

53 posts, read 323,164 times

Advertisements

We are trading my husband's precious Harley for a camper today. I am bringing a box of Kleenix he will need them. But we are serious we want to make the move. We need lots of advice. I have had 3 different job offers (pending) 1 in Williston, 1 in Minot and 1 in Stanley. I would like to hear from everyone their opinions of these towns. From what I understand there isn't any place to park a camper, or rent. Is there campsites further away that you could commute a reasonable distance. I know in the wintertime the snow is pretty serious but I was hoping to find something a little more permanant by next fall. Looking forward to hearing from you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 07:57 AM

45 posts, read 125,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrone10011 View Post
We are trading my husband's precious Harley for a camper today. I am bringing a box of Kleenix he will need them. But we are serious we want to make the move. We need lots of advice. I have had 3 different job offers (pending) 1 in Williston, 1 in Minot and 1 in Stanley. I would like to hear from everyone their opinions of these towns. From what I understand there isn't any place to park a camper, or rent. Is there campsites further away that you could commute a reasonable distance. I know in the wintertime the snow is pretty serious but I was hoping to find something a little more permanant by next fall. Looking forward to hearing from you!!
I'm out of Dickinson, but back in January/February, I went up to Williston and New Town to look around. There were 4 RV parks opening up in Alexander at that time. I don't have any contact info as they just put up signs saying "RV Park."

I understand what your husband is going through; I did the sold the Mustang for a minivan......so sad...

BTW, I did the Florida to ND back in December.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 AM

154 posts, read 412,809 times
There are a lot of RV parks going in between Watford City and Williston (south of the river). I don't know what the costs might be but it seems like a new one goes in every other day lately.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM

174 posts, read 378,634 times
Coming from FL you would probably like Minot the best. More shopping and amenities than Williston or Stanley. Plus housing will be easier to come by once they get fully recovered from the flood last summer.

Old 03-10-2012, 11:54 AM

477 posts, read 1,506,320 times
Quote:

Ohh, not the hog!!!! I would say Minot also, maybe Stanley, but really wouldn't want Williston, lol, I am thinking of moving out of there. As said by Naelbis Minot is bigger and has more to offer as far as shopping and activities. There are various places alongside the road advertising camping spots so I am sure you will end up finding something along the way. The price of them is another question, but to pay anywhere from 25 a night to more... I guess I could have taken down some numbers when I went to Minot last weekend from Williston, but try googling for campgrounds in Stanley, Minot, and Williston areas. Also, if you have not already search some of the past threads here, many links already posted.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 PM

BounceMan how was your transition from fl to nd, I am coming from the Naples/Fort Myers area.

BroncoGirl I have called alot the phone numbers for the campground info but they are out of service, no one answers or I even had one lady tell me she sold her campground and we chatted for quite awhile...very nice person.

Just like everyone on here seems so helpful...that is great when you are making a life changing move!!

Old 03-10-2012, 12:36 PM

If anyone is passing one of those new campground if you would jot down the phone number and post it to my post...I would be Greatful!!

Old 03-10-2012, 07:52 PM

45 posts, read 125,393 times
Quote:
BounceMan how was your transition from fl to nd, I am coming from the Naples/Fort Myers area.
Transition hasn't been bad. People are really nice here.

You'll need to make sure you have good winter clothes when the time comes. The wind is something else here.

Traffic is a lot lighter here than in Ft. Myers.

I have a lot of family in Ft. Myers and a lot of them are unemployed. I know how tough its been economically down there.

It's been tough being away from my family. I haven't seen my wife and kids since the beginning of December. I am going back on 3/13 for a week.

Old 03-11-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BounceMan View Post
Transition hasn't been bad. People are really nice here.

You'll need to make sure you have good winter clothes when the time comes. The wind is something else here.

Traffic is a lot lighter here than in Ft. Myers.

I have a lot of family in Ft. Myers and a lot of them are unemployed. I know how tough its been economically down there.

It's been tough being away from my family. I haven't seen my wife and kids since the beginning of December. I am going back on 3/13 for a week.
BounceMan I was thinking of your reply abut the traffic when I was driving home from the grocery today as I was following a car going 35 in a 45 in my lane and the next lane over same thing they were just looking from one side to the road to the other (sightseeing maybe) but the traffic was backed up behind me. lol Maybe the move will be a great thing in more ways than one.

Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM

60 posts, read 156,786 times
The weather is getting better and IMHO it would be best to slowly tranisition to the colder winter weather by being here during warmer temps and slowly getting used to the cold.

There are plenty of great jobs here in ND but it requires a high level of determination and "Grit". Spend a year or two and take your $$ and run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota