U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 02:14 PM

477 posts, read 981,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWilson View Post

One question though, can you get WiFi out in those fields? Years ago, before the internet, people used to read books and newspapers during their downtime at work, yet now that we have the internet, I figured if there is downtime while you have to be on duty, would I be able to easily use my laptop and iPod while out in the fields?

Cheers!!!

Wilson
No Wifi out in the fields, but if you had an aircard maybe you could get out. However, if your on duty I highly doubt they would welcome you to pull out your laptop and start surfing the net. On the rigs, you will not be able to be on your phone all during your , lol, some companies have started pulling cell phones when you come on the site, or at least have you leave them in your vehicle.

Most places are remote and companies use satalite internet as cell phones can't get out let alone an aircard.

Ipod I have no clue on downtime. There is not much downtime on the rigs, but I'm sure it happens.

That's all I got, lol, good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 09:07 PM

155 posts, read 454,679 times
Thank you, Broncogirl. I appreciate your reply, and thank so very much for all of the good information that you have provided. Oh, my question was solely directed at things to keep one occupied during the downtime, when one is on duty, but have nothing to do. For sure I can see the employer not allowing use of laptops and cellphones when one is actually physically working at a job site.Yet when RockfordNativenowSeattle said:

You get too the yard you get a job that's suppose to be only 8-10 hrs you get too the site and the drill crew even isn't there. This means you will be there all night lol... " Always take cooler and food with you 2-3 sandwiches and 3-4 water bottles"

That made me think that in those cases where one arrives at work, yet are unable to do their job, due to the time that one must wait for other people or equipment or other teams to arrive or any reason that stops one from working (not in their control) . . . where one would end up having paid downtime. Thus is why I would think that if they allow one to wait in their vehicle (until they need you to actually work) that I would not think that the employer would mind one killing time with their laptop or cellphone. Yet if you canít WiFi out in those fields, then it sounds like a good book and or an iPod are in order at paid downtimes like that, to make killing that time more comfortable and enjoyable.

Old 03-17-2012, 09:16 PM

38 posts, read 53,887 times
In those situations, everyone pulls out their smartphone and plays games. If you got Verizon, you can generally get some form of Internet access, but not always.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:05 PM

Thanks, Misc1972! It sounds like Verizon should be my preferred carrier. Now I wonder if they offer excellent service in both North Dakota and Texas? As I have not decided which state I will try my luck in if I decide to work outside of California . . . yet thus far, since I'm not particular either way (in regards to where I go), just as long as there is a good job (that I think I can successfully do) with good pay & benefits, then I'm willing to at least give it all a good try. Yet I "think" I would only plan to work during the non-winter months, since I do not want to work in the bitter cold and snow that is the norm in certain states and locations in our nation (during the winter). Yet if I had an indoors job, i.e. housekeeping, then I would be more inclined to work year round. Yet on the flipside, I can not imagine what it would be like working in the dead of winter or the dead of summer in one of those fields in Texas. Yet needless to say, I have a lot of thinking about what I want to do, if I want to seriously try to make a successful go of whatever I end up doing.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:19 PM

Verizon is generally your best choice. It's the carrier of choice for over-the-road truck drivers for a reason.

Regardless of where you decide to go, be prepared for long hours, hard work and gruff people. It's the nature of the game in the oil patch.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM

Thanks much, Misc1972!

Old 03-17-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misc1972 View Post
In those situations, everyone pulls out their smartphone and plays games. If you got Verizon, you can generally get some form of Internet access, but not always.
Bahaha, I am talking on a different level I guess than what your used too. LOL, and I take it you don't work with my bf on his rig, meaning everyone don't pull out their cell phone and play games cause there usually isn't downtime like that.

I sorry I mean I have also been on rig sights also for my job and we don't pull out our phone to play games on them either. We find something to do.

On a side note, cell phone boosters can help with signal, but not always. There are still spots around the Bakken area without enough towers or hills in the way to get a good signal. That being said Verizon is better than At&t usually, but not always.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWilson View Post
Thank you, Broncogirl. I appreciate your reply, and thank so very much for all of the good information that you have provided. Oh my question was solely directed at things to keep one occupied during the downtime, when one is on duty, but have nothing to do. For sure I can see the employer not allowing use of laptops and cellphones when one is actually physically working at a job site.Yet when RockfordNativenowSeattle said:

You get too the yard you get a job that's suppose to be only 8-10 hrs you get too the site and the drill crew even isn't there. This means you will be there all night lol... " Always take cooler and food with you 2-3 sandwiches and 3-4 water bottles"
Okay sure I get what your saying and your welcome. I am just coming from a different side of working out in the oil field. If your part of a drilling crew you will finish your shift and if the next crew don't show up you stay on the rig drilling until said crew shows up. There is no waiting for drilling crews, sucks if your that crew on duty and the other don't show up, but drilling don't stop for anyone or any kind of weather. If it is a blizzard out and crew don't make it to their shift, the one that is supposed to get off will continue to work. If your a truck driver it's a different ball game I am sure.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncogirl View Post
Bahaha, I am talking on a different level I guess than what your used too. LOL, and I take it you don't work with my bf on his rig, meaning everyone don't pull out their cell phone and play games cause there usually isn't downtime like that.

I sorry I mean I have also been on rig sights also for my job and we don't pull out our phone to play games on them either. We find something to do.
Can't say I know what kind of work you do on site, but the work I've done often entails waiting for another crew to finish their job before you can start.

In those situations, you entertain yourself as best as you know how, because you might be there for a while.

Old 03-18-2012, 01:03 AM

90 posts, read 236,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samiam24 View Post
Holy Cow....Rockford, I'm gonna quote your posts for my son! THANKS for this info...he's gonna be coming in blind from Florida...any info you can give me about the type and best brand of winter clothing would be GREATLY appreciated....he's never lived anywhere but Florida. lol
You will get your outfits 1 winter, 2 summer, 1 winter coat, and shirts, boots, all from the company.... Only thing you dot get is T-shirts, Jeans and Socks, underwear...

Halliburton takes good care of there Employees.... "Just got back from a 44hr on the clock... Good Night ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota