Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:35 PM

1 posts, read 8,801 times

Advertisements

I work in the oilfield for nov but i am also looking into getting into fraccing... anyone know of places hiring directly into fraccing operator and willing to help you get your cdl rather than going through a staffing company. I work on the backyard of a rig, i am just seeking something with better bonus pay and better potential to move up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM

155 posts, read 748,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockfordNativenowSeattle View Post
I would recommend you add CDL Permit Endorsement to your license, for what ever company you apply for in the yard.... Then you stick out from the 90%
RockfordNativenowSeattle, out of curiosity, do you think that "maybe" Mentalmark should re-apply with Halliburton with the CDL Permit Endorsement to his license or do you think that it is too late for him to try again with Halliburton?

I'm not sure when I have seen in the Halliburton job ads, when they say "Entry Level", I'm also thinking that does not mean "no-experience", yet I must admit many of of the Halliburton job ads I have seen using "Entry Level" in the job title, they seem like friendly ads that seem to welcome people to apply for the job along with making the job sound ideal for newbies trying to get into the oil field industry. Yet I could be wrong. However I'm wondering what gives to all of those rejections that Mentalmark has been receiving? Though I have not read anything into the Halliburton ads per se, yet I'm wondering if they have undisclosed job requirements (i.e. are there some trick questions in the application, where if the applicant does not answer them all or a certain percentage correctly, then the application is automatically rejected). Yet it would be nice to know what are all the "right things" to put in and or what can one really do to enhance a Halliburton job application, to get an interview and to also hopefully get hired, as a newbie with no oil industry experience?

Old 03-25-2012, 02:04 PM

192 posts, read 497,213 times
Its never to late at Halliburton. Every time a new job posting comes up but has a different number its a whole new ball game. You'll see the same job listed 5 times... APPLY TO ALL 5.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
Its never to late at Halliburton. Every time a new job posting comes up but has a different number its a whole new ball game. You'll see the same job listed 5 times... APPLY TO ALL 5.
Scorpio125, this sounds fine and dandy, BUT we need to know the exact reasons why Halliburton will not consider Mentalmark for employment. That statement of :

"Unfortunately, you have not been chosen to move forward in the selection process at this time. This decision was based on application review and/or your responses to specific application questions."

However that is too vague to even guess why they are denying him employment. So I'm wondering if there is something that can be fixed or is there a lack of certain experience that is holding him back. Yet without knowing detailed reasons behind the rejection letters, it is hard to know how to best proceed with Halliburton, especially since they keep having new job openings posted on a regular basis. So it kinda comes down to "What am I lacking AND what do I need to do (if I can), to become employed by Halliburton?" (IMO).

Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinzja View Post
I work in the oilfield for nov but i am also looking into getting into fraccing... anyone know of places hiring directly into fraccing operator and willing to help you get your cdl rather than going through a staffing company. I work on the backyard of a rig, i am just seeking something with better bonus pay and better potential to move up.
Prinzja, I'm not sure if you saw member's LOUTMB post on March 18th (in this thread), that said:

Quote:
"I currently work for schlumberger as an eqipment operator aka frack operato out of alice texas.schlumberger sends you to school to get your class A license. i think schlumberger is the only one out of the bigger companies that actually does that. we go thru a 2 week class (actually 11 days) and by the end of those 11 days you'll know how to drive an 18 wheeler. i had never driven a stick shift before in my life and actually its better if you havent because they want you to "double clutch" when you drive there trucks. our starting pay is 15 dollars an hour and hour work week is 6 days on a days off vary depending on whether your switching from days to night. when your switching from days to nights you get 3.5 days off and when your switching from nights to days its 2.5. overtime is paid for anything over 40 hours. typical work week averages 60 to 100 hours. once you make it to bonus your pay increases dramatically ( which i havent reached yet) i work on a frac crew with approximately 16 people 8 are bonus eligible (white hats) 8 are not(green hats beginners). typically we do about 3 stages a day and the bonus eligible guys make about 300 bucks a plus there salary of 750 dollars a week. Now heres the catch. sometimes the wireline guys misfire and the job is down for a couple of days sometimes the well isnt ready and you maybe sitting around for a week. Also bonuses vary depending on how many people are bonus eligible which creates some conflict because the bonuses are spread out between the bonus eligible guys which means the more guys who are eligible the less money they take home. if all 8 green hat guys on our crew become eligble then the bonus would average out to about 150 dollars a stage. so theres some tension. when your a green hat you have to "prove" yourself to the other guys(white hats) and its kinda awkward for me because im 36 and some of the white hats are 21 years old. the hardest part of the job is being away from your family. if you have a wife who needs you at home or who gets "lonely" then its going to be a problem. now the COA (cement operator assistant) are on call and travel back n forth everday but equipment operators (frac crew) stay out in man camps 2 to a room. while your at work your roomate is in the room and vice versa. weather wise down here in south texas the weather in the winter is pretty miled the lowest it got was about 35 degrees and it was only that low for maybe a month or two (no snow) but on the other hand the summers are BRUTAL!!!!! it gets up to about 110 degrees and with the heat from the machines your around it gets up to around the 115-120 degree range. Rigging up in 100 degree weather is BRUTAL!!!! your instrucked to drink a bottle of water every 15 minutesand its easy to drink a case of water and not even use the bathroom. Imjuries do happen frequently because your working around metal pipes. people slip and fall all the time or hurt ther backs. Fianlly demographics also play an important part as you have to get used to the culture of the area your in. im in south texas which is predomiantly hispanic compared to working in north dakota which from what i hear up there is predomiantly white. im a black guy by the way and i fit in fine down here so if you come in with a hard working POSITIVE attitude you'll do fine"
His post may not be all what you are seeking, yet it sounds like there are a few things in his post that may help you.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-25-2012 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote

Old 03-25-2012, 02:35 PM

192 posts, read 497,213 times
Forget it you won't ever know.

Is his online app accurate? timelines etc.

No spelling errors? Sounds silly but I can assure you that with a million apps.. yes 1 spelling mistake, 1 grammar and bam that's reason enough. I used to date a recruiter and I saw her do it online in front of me, she said they all are qualified so... gotta find something to narrow it down.

Are you applying for the right job? I know a guy with no experience who refused, absolutely refused to apply for entry level, and could not understand why he had an inbox full of Halliburton rejections.

Cover letter? Is it clear, concise, professional "I am abc, I want 123, I will do XYZ to get it."

PM if you need some one one discussion about resumes and cover letters.

Old 03-25-2012, 05:16 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
You've gotten some excellent insights, advice and even an offer to review and discuss your resume/cover letter. Can't think of anything I've seen repeated more on these threads except to make sure that you are emphasizing your manual labor....make sure to identify your transferable skills.

The other thing is timing, I've seen recently that this is the slowest time of the year generally....spring thaw usually, so road constraints usually apply.

Also, the percentage of green hands to experienced hands per osha, safety rules.

Rig work in a lot of cases is brute strength, hands on labor, team work, the ability to work long strenuous hours in often horrible weather conditions, sometimes w/out food...always without complaint.

Emphasize those skills/strengths. If you've been a leader, say so. If you've worked in hazardous conditions, yet got the job done, say so. If you get along well w/ all people say so.

W/ thousands of apps daily, Scorpio is correct....no misspelled words short, sweet just like he described. Good luck. Also there are some good links in the thread called "community links....." in this forum where folks have been posting company names etc.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:14 PM

90 posts, read 355,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWilson View Post
RockfordNativenowSeattle, out of curiosity, do you think that "maybe" Mentalmark should re-apply with Halliburton with the CDL Permit Endorsement to his license or do you think that it is too late for him to try again with Halliburton?

I'm not sure when I have seen in the Halliburton job ads, when they say "Entry Level", I'm also thinking that does not mean "no-experience", yet I must admit many of of the Halliburton job ads I have seen using "Entry Level" in the job title, they seem like friendly ads that seem to welcome people to apply for the job along with making the job sound ideal for newbies trying to get into the oil field industry. Yet I could be wrong. However I'm wondering what gives to all of those rejections that Mentalmark has been receiving? Though I have not read anything into the Halliburton ads per se, yet I'm wondering if they have undisclosed job requirements (i.e. are there some trick questions in the application, where if the applicant does not answer them all or a certain percentage correctly, then the application is automatically rejected). Yet it would be nice to know what are all the "right things" to put in and or what can one really do to enhance a Halliburton job application, to get an interview and to also hopefully get hired, as a newbie with no oil industry experience?
He should re-apply with the CDL permit for the Pampa Texas... Make sure his resume and cover letter is direct and too the point.

The Frack team down here is short! Yes they need another 8 People right now! If he wants the job; he should follow those steps above.

They Want To Know you Can Get a CDL So Get a Permit to Prove it "They= Recruiters"!
Frack is not for the weak, whining, complaining, and picky folks. If you haven't been through military boot camp / abuse lol then Frack will be a shock... There isn't much further I can offer; other then to Quote the Frack Boss

"Walked into class asked how many are frack? 8 raised hands and he said Half of you won't be here next year!"

No sugar coating that position; its the best money and the toughest of the jobs IMHO! If he does his research; he will know that's how it is...

I like too be helpful; and do this for folks; though when you see questions like his. Then it rings this person hasn't done there homework/research on the position. I applied for 6 or more Halliburton positions got denied by all but TX's Believe me when I say it wasn't my first choice. I just became desperate and willing to go anywhere and here I am! After 6 months you can transfer once your in if the position is open...

Like Nikes Slogan JUST DO IT!!! Go for it you have nothing to loose and everything to gain... GL

Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 8,655 times
Default fellow sales man here!

Hello,

Great info thanks! The level of detail is amazing. I'm thinking on giving it a shot in the next few weeks up there in Williston, ND. I'm currently living in Mongolia, though American. I have a small transportation company here, but business is dead. I've provided service to the US Marines and Army when they visit to train the Mongolian Army. But, my company is just to small. Anyway I miss the good old USA!

In the past I've owned a restaurant here, and taught English. Previously in the states (AZ, MD) I sold manufactured homes, cars, etc.

The question: What can I do in ND? And where can I live. I want to be able to bring my Mongolian wife and baby there with-in the next 6 months.

I have a BA in Anthropology, with a minor in International business. I'm 35 years old.

Thanks,
Sarge

Old 03-26-2012, 06:36 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Start like you have, by reading and researching the various threads...even the older ones hold information. Read every thread on the first page of this forum. You are obviously intelligent and capable. Research the various companies, their open positions. There are company names listed in the thread entitled "Community job links...." You'll figure out the who and what.

Last edited by JanND; 03-26-2012 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota