Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 13,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeng99 View Post
I was expecting an hourly wage hiring than that. I'm considering Texas, since the housing costs are lower.
Yeah it is low, but im located in Oklahoma and the cost of living is the same as Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
Default Pick ur Brain?!? RockfordNativenowSeattle

That was a very interesting and helpful bit of info you posted!
I have a few questions if you have time...I have been accepted for the cement operator assistant 1 position in fort lupton CO. I start Jan 6th, 2014. When you said you start with a group of people. Is it a bit of a competition to see who makes the cut or does everyone get accepted based upon passing, cdl license, permits, ex. Also are you enjoying the position still? I know you posted this article last year, hopefully your still with the company!

Hope to hear back

Ryan

Old 12-26-2013, 04:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,298 times
Yeah with us Cementing, they do compete to see who makes the cut, i personally didnt have any issues, im used to hard work so im doing just fine. Only problem now is that my wife is hating my schedule, it was my idea to get into oilfield to see if i like it, my wife on the other hand wants me to quit or move to a set schedule. Personally the money is ok, its really not all that. Also the work is easy honestly, your body gets stronger and rigging up gets easier and fast. The lack of sleep is what gets most people, anytime i have downtime im sleeping. With us in our district we get to sleep in the trucks not comfy at all, being a green hat you sleep on the passenger sleep of the cement trucks and they are very uncomfortable, unless you get a good guy so will take turns sleeping in the bunk. If your single cementing can be good, but sometimes hours vary, since we have to many new guys hours are good one week and bad another, by bad i mean like 40hrs, which to me is not good since i got in to oilfield to make money. You have to be working overtime and get as much as you can so you can get the big checks, or else its not worth it in my opinion. Im still here but we will see how long my wife will put up with it. But make sure to ask about how long till you get hired permanent, b/c here theres guys who have 6 months and are still green hats. Also to get raises you have to complete modules which takes time, and you have to have your cdl+hazmat permit so you can go to their driving school and get hired permenant.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,905 times
Hey Rockford!

Why do you recommend frac operator assistant, cement operator assistant, and logging and profileration over other jobs?

LOUTMB,

When you talk about people hurting their backs, are you referring to COAs or frac crew? Perhaps both. And what how different are their daily duties compared to each other?

EDIT: So I read a post about what COAs do. Yea, sleep seems to be the biggest challenge to worry about. Fracs are the ones dealing with the drill? I seen some videos like with Mike Rowe on Dirty Jobs so I know how that goes.

I don't know why COA is considered better though. More random therefore it's interesting?

Last edited by MiamiHeat87; 01-01-2014 at 08:35 PM..

Old 05-25-2014, 02:14 AM
n0x

16 posts, read 19,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUTMB View Post
one more thing a good website for entry level employess is SOS staffing theres a website there and you work for them for about 8 months before they roll you over. beside equipment operator (frac operator) there cement operator assistant, wireline operator, coiled tubing. these are all oil field positions you can look into. also a real easy oil field related job if you like to pretty much chill relax and sleep while your at work is being a gas fueler at the site. you need a class B license with hazmat but all they do is put diesel in the machines which takes about 40 minutes at most ( simple as fueling your vehicle) they do this about 3 times a night. for the rest of the night or day they sleep and watch portable dvd movies lol
So how does one get on as a gas fueler? My husband is trying to get in as a sand/water hauler and I'll be joining him once he gets established. Seems like a job I could do to add to our resources and keep myself productive.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,623 times
Littleman7,
Are you still with Schlumberger? Elk City or...?

Old 12-15-2015, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,019 times
Hi, me and my husband are really interested in getting a job with one of these companies (oil rigging). However, with no prior experience we don't know what we should put on our resumes....or does it not matter? I know you said to go with entry-level jobs but there are so few of those....are there any upcoming job fairs (2016) that you may know about? We are willing to sacrifice and drive to wherever for a chance to better our (financial) life.

Thx.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,019 times
Quote:
No CDL or any related experience in the oilrigs, what kind of entry level positions are there available with that kind of lacking experience? I'm aware of roustabouts and entry level frac operator assistant, I'm wondering what else I might be able to apply for, any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

Trying my best to be well informed to avoid a "any entry level position you have!" right off the bat. I under stand my chances are beyond slim but I'll be driving by ND and decided the 300 extra miles is worth a shot at least.

hi, did you ever go for it.....did u get a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota