Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 10:25 PM

6 posts, read 36,047 times

Advertisements

No CDL or any related experience in the oilrigs, what kind of entry level positions are there available with that kind of lacking experience? I'm aware of roustabouts and entry level frac operator assistant, I'm wondering what else I might be able to apply for, any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

Trying my best to be well informed to avoid a "any entry level position you have!" right off the bat. I under stand my chances are beyond slim but I'll be driving by ND and decided the 300 extra miles is worth a shot at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 11:27 PM

90 posts, read 355,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozing View Post
No CDL or any related experience in the oilrigs, what kind of entry level positions are there available with that kind of lacking experience? I'm aware of roustabouts and entry level frac operator assistant, I'm wondering what else I might be able to apply for, any info on that would be greatly appreciated.

Trying my best to be well informed to avoid a "any entry level position you have!" right off the bat. I under stand my chances are beyond slim but I'll be driving by ND and decided the 300 extra miles is worth a shot at least.

Here's my advice and I believe its worth something too yah.

1: If your 21 and older; apply for a frac operator assistant position. "Frack isn't Easy and the talk of days off at least in TX is somewhat of a Myth" They will be your second family ie this is the main reason frack is always hiring...

1a: The big companies will train you and help you get your CDL. They have a recruitment centers at least they do around here there's one in Amarillo Texas for Halliburton.

1b: Look for Cement operator Assistant or Logging and Proliferation I work Cement; and its great. You go logging and you will be working with Explosives and other dangerous materials...

2: If you can get your CDL training on your own you skip the 4 weeks of Trng before you get out into the field. You will be done in two weeks.

3: Don't over look the other parts of the Country... ie West Texas and north TX Pampa Amarillo . Liberal, Kansas and Duncan Oklahoma... Wyoming and Colorado.

4: Always post a little more info like your age so we can direct you a little more. I myself came from Sales and If I can get through the door anyone can I feel... You can always transfer after you get into the door with any of the companies.... Well hope this helps and GL..

Old 03-15-2012, 02:47 PM

155 posts, read 748,375 times
RockfordNativenowSeattle, this was a very interesting post. I live in Los Angeles, and have been out of work for over 2 years, and I just read several news articles (in the past 7 days) about the Oil Rush jobs in North Dakota. Which up until now, I did not know that much about the Oil Rush. Now that winter is almost over and the weather getting better nationwide, I could easily see myself trying my luck back east or in the south to see if I could get a temporary job until next winter comes, because based on what I have read thus far, I do not want to be working and living in some of those Oil Rush areas during the very cold and snowy winter months.

Yet I took an interest in your post, because you mention Texas. For over a year now, I heard that Texas has been a good place to look for a job. However nobody ever will say what would be some of the jobs one should look for. You are the first person I have heard say the actual jobs one can look for there. So thank you for that alone.

Upon checking out your suggestion of a Cement Operator Assistant (COA), is see that Haliburton has such an opening, that was just listed yesterday, to work in Fresno, Texas.

I come form a complete office worker background and have absolutely no experience in the oil drilling sector. However, I’m 48 years old, and I was just curious to know how hard is it to get one of these COA jobs? I would be okay working 4 weeks to get a CDL, yet I was wondering about how much does a COA earn (gross each week, if they have a 40 or 60 or 80 hour work week)? I’m not sure how good I would be at this type of Heavy Duty labor (since I come from an office background, I am not very mechanically inclined, and nor do I know how to drive a stick shift), but I would like to at least give it a try since I have been laid off for over 2 years and I can not find any good or stable work here in Los Angeles, so I have absolutely nothing to lose at this point. It seems like for every open job I apply for here, there are at least 100 people applying for the same job. However seeing how bad things are for me here, I’m open to relocating wherever I can find a good paying job and where housing is not an issue. I’m not sure how things are in Texas in regards to oil field related jobs, however I don’t want to end up applying for these jobs (with no oil field experience), if there will be hundreds of people applying for the same job.

I could not find anything under “Logging and Proliferation”, however since it sounds like it involves explosives, I rather not do a job that involves that much danger. Yet how dangerous is being a Cement Operator Assistant and Cement Operator?

Lastly, do these oil related companies offer any housing or is one on their own? Also, since you been working in Texas, do the places that you work have any housing troubles (like I hear about with regard to the Oil Rush cities/towns/areas in North Dakota)?

Old 03-15-2012, 07:44 PM

90 posts, read 355,274 times
Default Model 660 Pneumatic Cementing Trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastWilson View Post
RockfordNativenowSeattle, this was a very interesting post. I live in Los Angeles, and have been out of work for over 2 years, and I just read several news articles (in the past 7 days) about the Oil Rush jobs in North Dakota. Which up until now, I did not know that much about the Oil Rush. Now that winter is almost over and the weather getting better nationwide, I could easily see myself trying my luck back east or in the south to see if I could get a temporary job until next winter comes, because based on what I have read thus far, I do not want to be working and living in some of those Oil Rush areas during the very cold and snowy winter months.

Yet I took an interest in your post, because you mention Texas. For over a year now, I heard that Texas has been a good place to look for a job. However nobody ever will say what would be some of the jobs one should look for. You are the first person I have heard say the actual jobs one can look for there. So thank you for that alone.

Upon checking out your suggestion of a Cement Operator Assistant (COA), is see that Haliburton has such an opening, that was just listed yesterday, to work in Fresno, Texas.

I come form a complete office worker background and have absolutely no experience in the oil drilling sector. However, I’m 48 years old, and I was just curious to know how hard is it to get one of these COA jobs? I would be okay working 4 weeks to get a CDL, yet I was wondering about how much does a COA earn (gross each week, if they have a 40 or 60 or 80 hour work week)? I’m not sure how good I would be at this type of Heavy Duty labor (since I come from an office background, I am not very mechanically inclined, and nor do I know how to drive a stick shift), but I would like to at least give it a try since I have been laid off for over 2 years and I can not find any good or stable work here in Los Angeles, so I have absolutely nothing to lose at this point. It seems like for every open job I apply for here, there are at least 100 people applying for the same job. However seeing how bad things are for me here, I’m open to relocating wherever I can find a good paying job and where housing is not an issue. I’m not sure how things are in Texas in regards to oil field related jobs, however I don’t want to end up applying for these jobs (with no oil field experience), if there will be hundreds of people applying for the same job.

I could not find anything under “Logging and Proliferation”, however since it sounds like it involves explosives, I rather not do a job that involves that much danger. Yet how dangerous is being a Cement Operator Assistant and Cement Operator?

Lastly, do these oil related companies offer any housing or is one on their own? Also, since you been working in Texas, do the places that you work have any housing troubles (like I hear about with regard to the Oil Rush cities/towns/areas in North Dakota)?

Cement Operator Assistant; info for the position... Here it is ma man!

This is how I got into the Job from Sales; first I was reading the forums like yourself and others. I heard about the Oil Rush 1year from today's date. I didn't run to North Dakota; I saw the masses going there and figured that it wouldn't happen unless I took the plunge here and now.. Plus I learned following the herd blindly isn't good; so I applied for Tx and got a email in a week. Those who don't plan with no experience shake out fast. This guide will give you more info then I have seen on this forums and I got when I started the journey on the COA position. Enjoy, its a wealth of information.

"Research"

I did the research like your doing right now. Go type in Model 660 Pneumatic Cementing Trailer into the search engine...

Read up on the types of trucks and equipment Halliburton has... "Mainly Bulk Equipment" You won't start on a pump, or cementer, so get to know 660 Pneumatic Cementing Trailer everyone in COA starts Bulk...

This will prepare you for the interview and the job itself. I read up on just this one; and stressed that I could handle the long hours.

"Being a Salesman for 8 years helped me sell myself I might add"
Research also did the trick also along the BS I threw...

"Age of People in my class"

There were 7 in my first week class and they were from ages 30-50 I would say. Then they added a few in the second week which had a few guys about 25 and up. So your age won't be a problem for you. Just do the research for the Recruiter; they decide who gets hired mainly. Show your interest by doing the research and your ahead of the group by light years. Now COA Description...

"The Job COA"

When you get the job you spend 2-4 weeks in Trng; depending on if you have a CDL A with N endorsement.

There are no shifts at our Yard; You show up at 7:30AM and you get going with your Mentor who will show you the ropes. You start out in Bulk so that's why I said do your research on that stuff. You work your way up to other equipment. 6 days on 24hr call 3days off is my rotation.

You get a job, yes no shifts hours just a job thats been paid for from the oil drilling companies, say in New Mexico, Oklahoma or Kansas for my region or Texas panhandle area. You don't lift anything over 60 pounds if its heavier two have to lift it. There big on Safety at Halliburton... The physical work isn't that hard to be flat out honest with you. Its the Mental work of keeping the mind occupied for the long hours, is where the battle is lost.

Were on 6 days on 3 days off... The 6 days you are on duty; you belong to the company.. ie military style 24hr on call.

Some are different 2 weeks on 1 off it varies. Though its the same when on the work days. Next phrase

Examples on How this works

1) You get there at 10am you start the job; lets say its a quick job 6-7hrs you finish at 5pm. You get back to the yard at 7pm. The dispatcher will say no other Jobs are available at the moment. We will call and let you know. You get too the house just getting into bed and the phone rings; there's a job you got 1hr to get too the yard.

2) You get too the yard you get a job that's suppose to be only 8-10 hrs you get too the site and the drill crew even isn't there. This means you will be there all night lol... " Always take cooler and food with you 2-3 sandwiches and 3-4 water bottles" The Supervisor will have water for the crew also... He runs the Cementer lol But always nice to have your own too..

3) You get too the yard and there's no jobs yet; you finish up some trng on the computer "This how you get your raises and promotions" an hour passes nothing you go home. Your still on call; but if nothing happens you get paid 9.5 hrs for the day. "This hasn't happened in my experience lol" I didn't even get to finish that trng mod and was called out.

"The Job COA and extra"

The lowest hours Ive had on a check was in trng at 92 hrs... You will routinely get 180+ the key too this is if your out on site you get paid. You show up there's no crew there; you all kick back and wait $$though your getting paid$$ you don't leave that site till the job gets done. Even if something breaks down; they will send a relief if its over 24hrs lol.

The work will be to rig up your cement truck too the pump truck and too the rig. You will help everyone get there stuff hooked up.. Well everyone being Halliburton 99.9% of the time. If you finish give the other guy a hand also you want too learn everything... The rig stuff is the Company that hired us to cement the job. ie BP, Conco ect..

The job isn't that hard you will have to deal with the long hours. If your stuck overnight; you just log Sleeper Berth till there rdy to go onsite... You get paid if your on site.... Lets go too the next shall we?

"The Skills You bring too Halliburton"

Positive attitude and the willingness to learn goes the distance in light years here.... The office work gives you an advantage as you are use to dealing with people a lot. Most of the people here don't have those skills and if you do; you will move along faster...

"Not my words the Trainers words in my 2 week course. You can't make Management and not be able to talk in front of crowds he said."

If you decide to go for it; and I hope you do, just learn and show your eagerness to do more. Nothing going on at the yard do your trng and comp for your title mods. Done with that stuff and ahead; head over too the bulk shop and cut some bags. Till you get the call and they all take notice. You here to get things done.

Now I say this with due respect; some of us who come here may or may not have a big vocabulary. Though the one of us that do; keep it simple and if something comes out that's above some of the guys head; explain and shift back to normal.

Now in the oilfield your dealing with good god fearing people in the community. "The people/areas your dealing with are rural, and behind the big cities, or states in complexity by 20years. Not my words, the guy who was in my class explained this too me.

I was the only guy in the class not from the Area I might add. What they lack in complexity; they more then make up in mechanics and getting things done. They K.I.S.S ie keep it simple stupid... Love that phrase lol..

Hope this helps and gives you the info you need... Ohh wait Money

Pay $$$$$

Pay for my area is 14.00 with cdl. 13.25 without; and you get the raise when you do.. So it isn't that big of a deal I would conclude.

Housing here in area is getting tight ie.. 10-15mins from the yard... Apt $490 a month 500ft^2 all utilities included. That's what I'm in now...

But you go 20 miles out and its easy to find something the same $550 800ft^2... You will drive 20-30mins to work....

Math and money

This is based off of my work yard and area; others like middland, odessa pay $2.50 more an hours.

North Dakota will pay $4.00 more for guys to start... Though you will loose it in the housing issue there.

$14 * 80hrs = $1120 - $13.25 = $1060

$21 * 100hrs = $2100 - $19.88 = $1988

$1120 + $2100 = $3220
- $1060 + $1988 = $3048

These above and below are Averages on pay... Though the margin for error is within $100.00

low for my area; $3200 every two weeks.
mid for my area; $3650 every two weeks.
High for my area;$4050 every two weeks.

The way you figure it in hours you take off 2-4 days in two weeks your low end; take 1-3 your mid; take off 2 your high end.

Sorry it took so long to reply but this was a bit of a task to get the info out... When I was asking questions like you 4 months ago; I know why they didn't reply all the time. This takes hours lol... Off too wash clothes and too bed. I start early again. I will checkup for replies on my cellphone if I can get a signal lol....

Last edited by RockfordNativenowSeattle; 03-15-2012 at 08:05 PM..

Old 03-15-2012, 07:56 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Wow.......You did a wonderful job explaining and going into detail.....You are extremely helpful. Hope you don't cause a mass exodus to your area Really good post.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:19 PM

WOW RockfordNativenowSeattle!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I sincerely and greatly appreciate you taking the time to write me such an AWESOME and detailed response to my questions of your breaking into this business.

Since you provided such a thorough and detailed response, I’m going to take a few days to re-read it, take notes, and get back to you with the few remaining questions that I have. Yet with as much time that you have invested in providing me this abundance of help, there is no need for you to take any more of your valuable time to add to what you have provided. I’m just truly grateful that you have shared as much as you did and I don’t want to infringe upon too much of your time. I’m just grateful for all that you have provided to me here.

Yet one thing that I see as a couple of problems is, I am not a salesman. Though I have been unemployed for over two years, I have seen hundreds of sales jobs available, but I’m am not going to lie, salesmanship is not in my blood and I would not be able to handle sales rejection well, thus is why I don’t want to learn or do sales or enter the sales field. Then since I am not mechanically inclined , I just do know if I could pull off having knowledge of the Model 660 Pneumatic Cementing Trailer. Since I can’t drive a stick shift, I think that the chances are probably slim for me to even thinking about getting a CDL. A 12 passenger full size American commuter van is the largest vehicle that I’m fairy good at driving, but I'm not too sure if an employer would afford me the time and luxury to learn how to drive big multi ton cement truck. Yet since I’m a worker bee and plan on maybe trying to live out of state doing “something” to earn a living for about 2 years, I’m not sure if I want to make a career of whatever I end up doing. Yet if I like the work, the employees, the employers, I may stay awhile beyond the 2 years. So I'm only thinking of giving this my all while doing it as a 2 year trial experiment. Yet based on what you listed, I would be happy and content being AND remaining an COA (since I really do not think I want to deal with the pressures that would go along with holding a higher position), and I think I would just be content while making $13.25 (or whatever the low end pay for a COA position in any company). Since I am single, I don’t need a big place to live in. An efficiency or studio apartment is fine, especially if I have to work long hours. All I would like is a good, quiet, clean, comfortable place to sleep, a tiny kitchen or kitchenette, a TV, a cellphone, my laptop computer, a convenient place to do laundry, and a grocery store . . . and "I think" that is all I will need. So 500 sq. feet of living space is fine. Again, if I am going to be working those long hours, I don’t think I would need anything more. Y

One question though, can you get WiFi out in those fields? Years ago, before the internet, people used to read books and newspapers during their downtime at work, yet now that we have the internet, I figured if there is downtime while you have to be on duty, would I be able to easily use my laptop and iPod while out in the fields?

Thanks aging for this wonderful, wonderful priceless information. It is greatly appreciated. Most of all, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. Oh for sure, I know what you mean about people not answering your questions when you put them out there in a public forum. That has happened to me too many times than I care to remember, LOL!!!, yet I know that is the nature of Internet forums at times. LOL!!! Yet at times, I think I have great questions and I see that people ask great questions in various online forums, however sometimes I think those questions are not in the best place to get the best exposure to be answered properly. Case in point, City-Data.Com. I had never heard about this GREAT website before, until my brother told me about it about 2 or so years ago. Yet I wonder how many internet users know about this site? Because I have never heard any of my friends talk about this site ever . . . yet you ask almost anyone that is internet savvy if they have heard of AND visited or used Craigslist or Ebay or Yahoo or Google then it seems EVERYBODY knows about and has at least visited all 4 of these sites at least once . . . whereas I doubt if the same could be said (when asking people in large masses) about City-Data.Com. Yet since I have been using it, I have gotten a lot of help with this site and I have tried to offer help and feedback to others, when I see their questions posted, since I have been using City-Data.Com.

RockfordNativenowSeattle, have a great weekend, and I will check back again when I have my additional questions for you. Thanks a MILLION!!!

Cheers!!!

Wilson

Old 03-16-2012, 10:48 PM

3 posts, read 54,658 times
Im 24 btw, thank you for the wondeful informaton! And thank you JanND for the info in pm, I feel a little less blind now! Ive done 6 years in the restaraunt business, I had some pretty cushy hours but moderately hard work none the less, all on my feet, holidays, and coming home dirty smelling like fry oil.

Last edited by Hftb; 03-16-2012 at 11:12 PM..

Old 03-17-2012, 06:44 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Hftb...You are welcome, give a shout if you need anything else, lots of great and helpful folks on here, someone will chime in.
WCW....I think RNNS Went above and beyond to answer questions and you are very lucky....Haven't seen that through of an answer ever. I believe you are overthinking....Doesn't matter if you were never a salesman, matters that you'll kick it in gear, be enthusiastic.....and I see from your posts you are eager. I would read RNNS posts a few more times, noting all the subtle tips....and what I'll call sage advice. You would probably do well seeking something South, sounds more cost effective and a tad bit closer to home for you, plus you are used to the heat. Rockford...wanted to rep you......You got my vote for most informative!! Working those hours and still helping..........you ROCK!

Old 03-17-2012, 07:51 AM

9 posts, read 30,344 times
Holy Cow....Rockford, I'm gonna quote your posts for my son! THANKS for this info...he's gonna be coming in blind from Florida...any info you can give me about the type and best brand of winter clothing would be GREATLY appreciated....he's never lived anywhere but Florida. lol

Old 03-17-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Hftb...You are welcome, give a shout if you need anything else, lots of great and helpful folks on here, someone will chime in.
WCW....I think RNNS Went above and beyond to answer questions and you are very lucky....Haven't seen that through of an answer ever. I believe you are overthinking....Doesn't matter if you were never a salesman, matters that you'll kick it in gear, be enthusiastic.....and I see from your posts you are eager. I would read RNNS posts a few more times, noting all the subtle tips....and what I'll call sage advice. You would probably do well seeking something South, sounds more cost effective and a tad bit closer to home for you, plus you are used to the heat. Rockford...wanted to rep you......You got my vote for most informative!! Working those hours and still helping..........you ROCK!
Thanks, JanND.

For sure, I truly appreciated all that RockfordNativenowSeattle shared, as I think that the time that he devoted to sharing as much as he did while helping as much as he did is absolutely priceless. Thus I tried to provide a good and detail "thank you reply" for all of his help and to let him know that it is most appreciated. Most of all, I hope that his information will help Everyone that reads his post that is seeking similar help and advice. Based on all that RockfordNativenowSeattle wrote, he sounds like an amazing and outstanding man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota