U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 08:39 PM

192 posts, read 440,928 times

Advertisements

@Jan yup yup and yup.

Not much to do but apply, network and apply again! LOL I'm not leaving the state till I get a job.... oh wait then I won't leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2012, 11:28 PM

39 posts, read 129,431 times
I have been lurking on this forum for about a month now and appreciate everyone posting all the great information.

I used to be an assistant driller up in Northern Alberta many years ago so I am considering returning to the oil rigs to work. Fracking is new to me.

1. People keep mentioning hiring picking up in May and I wonder if that is a typical hiring time in ND? After spring break up perhaps?

2. I have also read that all of the rigs that drill deep holes are working and companies are waiting for new rigs to be built or moved before an increase in hiring might be possible? Has anyone heard similar information?

3. Does anyone happen to know if there is a high job turnover rate on the rigs at the moment?

4. Are there better jobs than than working on the rigs that pay as well? I have been watching the fracking videos online to get a basic idea of the process. Is it safer and easier to work on a frac crew than working on the rigs? What are considered the best jobs in the oil fields at the moment without getting a degree? I would drive a truck if that was better but rig hands seem to make a little more money.

Also a question for MovingToNDToWork Do there seem to be a lot more jobs in Texas? I am wondering
if the water shortage and drought there might put a damper on fracking or drilling?

Any advice is appreciated and TIA

Old 03-27-2012, 11:32 PM

One more

Are the companies that are sending people to get training out of state paying for room and board, hotels, wages etc.? How much does it cost to go for the required training for the frac crews etc.?

TIA

Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
RigPig I don't work on rigs...Just read a lot on here. Used to be married to a driller. I would say that w/ your rig experience you would be able to walk into a position very easily up here. The slow up seems to be a variety of things, including lack of experienced workers applying. There evidently is a requirement for a ratio of experienced/non-experienced workers per job site. Fracking is amping up. Read the posts by Rickydink....He moved up got on w/ CalFrac???? fracing Co. out of Minot (head office in N.D.) They sent him for training....read his thread, he has "Rickydink update". Start by applying online. Emphasize your previous experience. I can't offer first hand info on dangers. All oil field work has danger imo, which you already know. There are some threads on fracking that posts are a bit detailed...should be helpful to search this N.D. forum. Got a thread in the N.D. threads..."community jobs.." check that for a pretty good list of companies. COMMUNITY JOB Links, Websites & resources:Add your's as you discover new resources...
someone had said CalFrac was based in Minot...I found this which says there is an office in Williston (scroll down locations)...http://www.calfrac.com/Docs/Corporate/locations_usa.php (broken link)
Found this on Stockhouse webpage....Really informative post about fracking Long but informative http://www.stockhouse.com/Bullboards...0&s=AZA&t=LIST

Last edited by ElkHunter; 03-28-2012 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: Excellent. Don't have to site or source.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Thanks Jan! You help a lot of people and it is greatly appreciated.

I'm still wondering about business picking up in May and see there are now some road restrictions in place.

The rigs are moving from the gas fields to the wet gas and oil fields which I am watching as well. Once I have enough money saved to move and to pay for First Aid, CPR and H2S Alive and possibly WHMIS training I will start applying online.

All other information is appreciated and if anyone runs into someone that works on a large triple rig which is drilling for oil it would be great to get some first hand information.

Thanks again!

Old 03-29-2012, 04:54 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig View Post

I'm still wondering about business picking up in May and see there are now some road restrictions in place.

The rigs are moving from the gas fields to the wet gas and oil fields which I am watching as well. Once I have enough money saved to move and to pay for First Aid, CPR and H2S Alive and possibly WHMIS training I will start applying online.

All other information is appreciated and if anyone runs into someone that works on a large triple rig which is drilling for oil it would be great to get some first hand information.

Thanks again!
RigPig Have you read a few other threads?? I keep seeing, from folks as well as the websites for companies...i.e. cal frac pays for training. Course that isn't drilling.....but when the drillers leave, the supports are still here....Fracking it seems is a bit risky.......but would certainly be long term....production is long term. And even Drilling is predicted to be going on for years.
Glad to help.....especially since you are someone that really does know what you are getting into. And, folks will correct me if I'm wrong. But, it isn't like the old days where you are moving your own rigs....I believe they have full crews that do that now a days. It has got to be easier on the drilling crews! Well, check the websites in the "community jobs...." thread....not sure you should wait...you have experience they want folks w/ experience.....that is part of the slow down....too many folks w/ no experience are all that are applying. Get those apps in emphasize your oil rig experience, use the terminology, also you know first hand what is required re: work ethic. Good luck, give a shout if you need anything else to help.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:29 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,169,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig View Post

DH said several frac sand coordinators have been talking about how it'll "be good when we get going again" which seems to mean yeah, it's been slow, but it's picking back up.
He also heard that Marathon has three, new drill rigs on order and he couldn't remember who else, Exxon? Shell? had at least two on order. And those are just the ones he knows about.

Quote:
pay for First Aid, CPR and H2S Alive and possibly WHMIS training I will start applying online.
Doesn't the company pay for this stuff for you?
My husband had to take OSHA10, H2S, as well as specialty classes for Marathon, Hess, etc. and his truck company paid for all of it...

Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Doesn't the company pay for this stuff for you?
My husband had to take OSHA10, H2S, as well as specialty classes for Marathon, Hess, etc. and his truck company paid for all of it...
Most do yes. H2S I get.. CPR?? First Aid?? Your not applying to the Fire Department here.

Even with H2S and WHMIS why bother paying for it when you don't even know if the job you get will even require it?

CDL Permit yeah I can understand that... even the dispatchers here get asked if they have a CDL.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,169,852 times
I hadn't even caught the CPR/FirstAid! lol

Speaking of, I can't remember if it was at H2S or Marathon site training where hubby was told he might have to shave his mustache! (Horrors!!) because they didn't think he'd be able to seal an airmask if needed in an emergency.
He pulled out his volunteer firefighter card and pointed out he's SCBA certified and if the mask for his SCBA tank seals, he's confident theirs would too.

Oh.
OK.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:40 AM

Yeah I shaved my beard off 2 days after I got here. Got tired of hearing it.

Same thing applys to all the convo on here about gear.. Oil Resistant boots, FR Coveralls, Hard Hats, where to buy what to buy... and for what a job you don't have yet, for a company that would prolly buy it anyhow?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or