U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2012, 08:51 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times

Advertisements

I've seen repeatedly, and there is a recent post....think rickydink's update...that there are certain outfits the company's generally supply. I would hold out on spending anything til you know.

I heard an interesting rumor today. A local law firm was asking about renting an office space in minot, at a construction site that was just getting underway...sometime in last few weeks..The developer said....too late Heard that Amerada Hess bought out the whole strip mall in Minot for their new offices. I didn't catch how big it was, but he was talking a big strip mall, and was sort of shocked. So, heads up.....Amerada Hess is a BIG oil player for years in N.D. I'd be checking
Amerada Hess Corporation in Williston, North Dakota. (nd.) #33455479
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 03:06 AM

39 posts, read 129,431 times
Quote:
But, it isn't like the old days where you are moving your own rigs....I believe they have full crews that do that now a days.
In the old days more crews were brought in to run cranes, pickers, and load the 52 semi trucks that the rig was broken down onto. The rig crew had to be there to know where all the hoses, assembly pins, bolts and cables were stored and exactly what they connected. There was always extra help but the rig crew had to be present. That my have changed though.

Quote:
not sure you should wait...you have experience they want folks w/ experience
That's music to my ears!

Quote:
itsMeFred
He also heard that Marathon has three, new drill rigs on order
I also read somewhere that many new rigs were on order that would take some time to build, and they would be more capable for the longer runs with horizontal drilling, but this is all second hand information and I would like to hear more.

Quote:
scorpio125
Doesn't the company pay for this stuff for you?
My husband had to take OSHA10, H2S, as well as specialty classes for Marathon, Hess, etc. and his truck company paid for all of it...
That is what I am trying to find out. 1. What certificates are required? 2. Who pays for it?
It looks like the larger companies have in house training though and they would pay for that. My funds are limited so I need to know how long this all will take?

I saw a Rig Pass course listed at Williston State College
IADC Rig Pass WSC-Safety Training (http://www.willistonstate.edu/Classes/TrainND/Safety-Training.html - broken link)
"Upon completion individuals will receive IADC Rig Pass Card, Safeland Endorsement, Medic First Aid Card, H2S Certification, and respiratory fit test with printed results."

so I emailed a contact there and received this reply

"IADC Rig Pass is held every week on campus. It stars on Tuesday and ends on Friday. The cost is $600. You will need to pre-register and pay the first day of class.
As far as certifications needed to work on the rigs, you would need to contact one of the drilling companies. We provide training for companies. They determine what training programs their employees will need."

I may not even need the rig pass course? I'll start calling drilling companies.

FWIW I also inquired about the CDL class at the college and got this response

"The cost of the class is $4,500. Financial aid does not pay for this class. Job Service does have a few grants available, you can contact them. The next opening I have in a class is May 1st"

I can't believe how hard it is to find out what the regulations are now online but H2S safety training is needed for sure. Maybe a lot of the training is left up to the discretion of the drilling companies?

Thanks for all your help and any more input is appreciated.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
We aren't allowed to repost old threads. So I am researching your questions, and putting the answers/opinions and the nick of those folks that have posted some information. Here goes... and... I am no expert....just repeating what info I can find for you. Your own research is always best. Just use the search portion top of page.....so much info there is no way for us to repeat it all.
1. H2S....No don't take that class..
Kychlo answered same question on 11/16/11 He said generally companies are putting folks thru training as part of hiring process. But, again this was Nov. things change fast...so your decision to make.
Me, I wouldn't spend the money....I think that the classes weekly is a response to the demand, and the demand has got to be from the oil companies.....cause there aren't that many folks who come up there w/ an extra 600 in their pockets until they get a job....My opinion..

2. it'smefred ??? answered the endorsement questions..(you quoted her answer)..wait until hired company will likely pay for what they require.
I know my ex-husband had safety meetings often when he was a rig hand, derek hand, etc.

3. CDL; Don't pay for a CDL imo just get a permit....This is a best guess....ask companies

Again answered by it'smefred....She is a wealth of info and common sense. She suggested to get a CDL permitt only.
You could study the booklet, found at your local driver's lic. office. Take the test there, and you got a CDL permit in hand. The permit is a good piece to add to your job app, resume.

I believe I have seen that..the CDL , permitt in hand is often pushed through w/ hands on training in the company. Also, I heard plenty of folks just have cdl in case they have to drive, not because their actual job requires them to drive truck. That is imo the primary reason we have so many accidents in the Bakken area....CDL drivers w/ no otr experience. So, this policy may have changed since it was last descussed on these threads. Best to ask company yourself. I know folks looking for drivers look for 2 yrs otr experience.

For your questions in general:
Go to this thread....You cannot get this info anywhere else imo
Video's re: Oil Field jobs: Update from Ex-Oil Field Worker, #1-8, and multiple oil related videos...Good Info!

Old 03-31-2012, 11:17 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,169,852 times
Quote:
3. CDL; Don't pay for a CDL imo just get a permit....This is a best guess....ask companies
Actually, from what I'm hearing this part depends on what you're wanting to do.
If you want on a drill rig, the CDL permit can be a good bit of fluff on your resume. Or, it won't make a lick of difference.
OTOH, if you're wanting an actual driving job, no one will even talk to you unless you've got a CDL-A in hand.

If you don't know what you're aiming for, and you're just driving up there hoping to shoot in the dark and maybe get lucky and hit something, it sure can't hurt to do the written at your local DMV before taking off...

Old 03-31-2012, 11:58 AM

175 posts, read 407,549 times
I took my H2S online. It was relatively inexpensive. I was griping about spending $$$ before I started making some but if it would help me get *the* job I decided to suck it up. Not recommending this to everyone as I may have wasted some $$$ (like I did with my Baffin boots... 80 degrees in Minot tomorrow... argh) but I took OSHA-10, H2S and HAZWOPER-40 online.

Not to endorse any specific company but safteyunlimited.com offers the H2S for ~$20... ~$25 if you want a wallet card. (I strongly recommend submitting a photo for your card. If I had known the card is only formatted to include a photo I would've uploaded one myself.) Compared to the other expenses it is by far the cheapest cert you can get before coming here.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:23 PM

Thanks everyone. I am trying to get on an oil rig but posted the CDL information for others possible benefit.

If the courses are that cheap online I will probably pay to do them while I have comfortable living conditions and a fast connection rather than while camping so thanks for that information. It seems to make sense to pay $25 now and get to work a little quicker when I make the move.

The courses I have taken in the past were easy but the information was very important, and easy to retain, so I'm not surprised that the training is so cheap online.

I really appreciate all the help!

Old 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM

581 posts, read 2,047,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigPig View Post
Thanks everyone. I am trying to get on an oil rig but posted the CDL information for others possible benefit.

If the courses are that cheap online I will probably pay to do them while I have comfortable living conditions and a fast connection rather than while camping so thanks for that information. It seems to make sense to pay $25 now and get to work a little quicker when I make the move.

The courses I have taken in the past were easy but the information was very important, and easy to retain, so I'm not surprised that the training is so cheap online.

I really appreciate all the help!
Woah woah woah oil patch newbies. I would NOT recommend taking any online classes for H2S, OSHA 10, HAZWOPER. In Rig Pig's example of trying to work on a drilling rig, THEY will put you through their specific training. You walking into their office saying "I have H2S" will not get you hired in front of the guy that just walked in that did not have the class. Any reputable company has their own training program. Most in and around Williston use Williston State College. The classes WSC offers are not meant for individuals, they are meant for the companies that are hiring.

Many companies also have "BAKKEN CLASSES" that means you may have been trained my Marathon in Wyoming but you must take the Bakken or ND Marathon class. Normally these classes are only available to you once you are hired on with a company. An individual can not just go attend these classes. Same goes for HESS and Conoco.

Back to H2S, etc.....

Don't waste your money on anything but a place to stay and food once you get here. If a company accepts your online $20 H2S card, I would run away. They obviously don't have a legit training program and don't really care about you as an employee. None of the "majors" will take online courses seriously. And again.....an H2S card doesn't get you a job, baffins don't get you a job, OSHA 10 online doesn't get you a job. Experience gets you a job, a solid resume gets you a job and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL........WHO YOU KNOW GETS YOU A JOB. Get up here....network....and get hired. It's 75 degrees today, what are you waiting for! Good luck.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Woah woah woah oil patch newbies. I would NOT recommend taking any online classes for H2S, OSHA 10, HAZWOPER. In Rig Pig's example of trying to work on a drilling rig, THEY will put you through their specific training. You walking into their office saying "I have H2S" will not get you hired in front of the guy that just walked in that did not have the class. Any reputable company has their own training program.
[snip]
and MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL........WHO YOU KNOW GETS YOU A JOB.
Get up here....network....and get hired. It's 75 degrees today, what are you waiting for! Good luck.[/quote]

Thank you so much for taking the time to clarify all that for me and others that might read this! Greatly appreciated.

"MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL........WHO YOU KNOW GETS YOU A JOB"
So true! When I lived in Alberta most of my job offers took place while getting together with people.

I'm over 6'4" and used to be able to lift and stab the pickup subs in the drill collars without using a winch so the drillers loved me for speeding up the trip times. I'd need to work up to doing that again now though. I always worked on
triples with the deepest vertical holes to 18,000 feet deep in north western Alberta. As a former assistant driller it sounds like my chances are good.

I wish I could get up there right away but hopefully in a few weeks.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by RigPig; 04-02-2012 at 01:44 AM..

Old 04-02-2012, 10:04 AM

192 posts, read 440,928 times
Not sure if I can post this twice...

This comes straight from the horse.... Applebys is looking to hire at $14 an hour. Almost all of the kitchen positions. They also said that they know you'll be gone soon for a job in the patch and they don't care. They are desperate for workers. Day Shift.

That comes directly from one of the managers who came to the church I'm staying at begging for workers from the peeps staying there. That was 2 nights ago. In Williston.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM

979 posts, read 3,349,464 times
Buffalo Wild Wings had an add in Sundays Classifieds for workers, servers, cooks, bartenders for their new Williston BUffalo Wild Wings opening soon in Williston. I'm guessing this is NOT a rumor???? Since it was in the classifieds? Where is this being Built in Williston ? This is certainly good news for Williston. Another new restaraunt...also read in a Minnesota paper that Cowboys Jacks bar & grill is opening up in the Trapppers kettle restaraunt. It is a Minnesota chain with restaraunts in the Twin Cities metro area and St. CLoud. This will be their first outside of Minnesota. Also saw an add in the Williston Classifieds for new workers, managers, etc... for a new McDonald's in Williston. Is Williston getting a 2nd McDonalds??? They need one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or