Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:18 PM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Thanks....Folks might like a link.....I appreciate their are folks willing to share what their experiences are....Keep
I have to sympathize with the folks discussing the hamster wheel that oil field jobs can become...Like the old saying the more you make the more you spend. You sort of become trapped in mortgage and car payments etc....It becomes a viscous cycle....The best you can hope for is clearlyto be able to keep a semblance of normal family life....keep yourself grounded as much as possible....All the best to you all! Please keep posting.
The language, in my link, can sometimes be a little rough but keep in mind, these are roughnecks. It will clearly emphasize the destructive potential of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 10:28 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
Isn't this true of any job, though??
Live below your means and it simply won't be an issue.

My DH has been in the oilfield now for 3 years. He's run in ND, WY, PA and is now home in CO most of the time. (And yeah, he really does love his job...weird hours, hard work, and all.)
However, we still have the same budget we did when he was just a cow hand making less than 1/2 the income. We paid off some bills and have our new house nearly finished (built with cash as we've gone along). We're currently chafing at the need to buy a new(er) primary car. But even then, we're looking at 3-5 years old, family sedan, not a new crew-cab Powerstroke.
Just because you're making good money doesn't mean you need to spend it.

Unless they're legitimately trapped in a poverty-level job, the only reason someone should be on a hamster wheel is if they chose to put themselves there.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:38 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,230,775 times
I was just talking to my better half about this and he made an excellent point.
There are a lot of guys, particularly young and/or single who blow a lot of their paycheck without even thinking about it. Going to the bar a few times a week, eating out regularly...that stuff takes a huge chunk out of an income without anyone even realizing it.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:29 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Thanks....Folks might like a link.....I appreciate their are folks willing to share what their experiences are....Keep
I have to sympathize with the folks discussing the hamster wheel that oil field jobs can become...Like the old saying the more you make the more you spend. You sort of become trapped in mortgage and car payments etc....It becomes a viscous cycle....The best you can hope for is to be able to keep a semblance of normal family life....keep yourself grounded as much as possible....All the best to you all! Please keep posting.
Here's another good link:Welcome to World Wide Welding « Belch.Com

Old 01-10-2015, 09:53 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,152,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I was just talking to my better half about this and he made an excellent point.
There are a lot of guys, particularly young and/or single who blow a lot of their paycheck without even thinking about it. Going to the bar a few times a week, eating out regularly...that stuff takes a huge chunk out of an income without anyone even realizing it.
This explains about half of my coworkers.(at least the younger ones). Often after work I get invited to go to the bars and/or strip club to drink. Even after a 12-18 hour shift. In six months, I have yet to go out to eat or drink outside my man camp. My budget is roughly $100 every two weeks.(including gas money)

Old 01-12-2015, 02:58 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
This explains about half of my coworkers.(at least the younger ones). Often after work I get invited to go to the bars and/or strip club to drink. Even after a 12-18 hour shift. In six months, I have yet to go out to eat or drink outside my man camp. My budget is roughly $100 every two weeks.(including gas money)
You are smart! Make it work for you as you go, bank it, invest it....whatever....The folks that don't live to regret it later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: