Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:56 PM

6 posts, read 20,802 times

Advertisements

Moving from Cali to Kenmare for work. How's it living there? Is it a friendly town? What's there to do? Thanks for the info

Last edited by jazzyj#1; 07-10-2012 at 09:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 09:42 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,738,476 times
I lived there for a summer around 32 years ago. It was a good place to live at the time. It was a small, clean town with friendly people.

Kenmare is next to a lake. It had tennis courts and I think it was getting a new pool (32 years ago). The town had a grocery store, a movie theater, and some bars.

I had fun the months I lived there.

Not sure what it is like now, so my reply is kind of pointless...

Old 07-11-2012, 01:03 AM

I'm glad to hear it was a friendly town. Thanks for the info.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 19,051 times
It is a typical small North Dakota town. There is a pool, two grocery stores, a drug/gift store, hardware store, a movie theater, several bars and dining choices.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:08 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,738,476 times
I lived in a lot of ND's small towns, so I may be confused.... but I think there was a supper club by the lake that was nice to go to, and a place we went for pizza and beer, and to play the duck hunting game that hung up on the wall.

So long ago, but fun times.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:02 PM

85 posts, read 205,026 times
I used to work in Kenmare about 6 years ago - It was a nice, friendly little town back then. I hope it hasn't changed too much, although I'm sure it's a lot more crowded now!

It's a nice spot - not far from Minot, and not far from Canada. If you don't mind me asking, who are you working for?

Old 07-13-2012, 12:12 AM

I'm an RN working for the community hospital. I know the demographics have changed a bit, so I just wanted to know more about the town. I've never lived in a place that small too, so just wondering. I've never been to ND either, so it will be a whole new experience for me. Looking forward to it actually.

Old 07-15-2012, 06:27 PM

431 posts, read 1,600,820 times
Kenmare is a town population of around 1500. Sits right next to a beautiful lake that you cannot use. The oil is just touching the fringes of it. it has a pharmacy, couple of gas stations, 1 grocery store, 1 bar, several churches, and of course grain bins. Has a small hospital clinic and they are suppose to be adding an additional 200 homes. Haven't heard if that has started yet. This is a 1 hour drive from Minot. I drive it a lot.

Old 07-20-2012, 02:53 PM

231 posts, read 870,529 times
I grew up there in the 70's and 80's. Still have some friends in the area. Check out Kenmarend.com Very nice small town. You will probably drive to Minot a lot to do your major purchases. It will be a slower pace of life probably than what you are used to. Get out and make some friends, talk to people, take advantage of any rec activites you can find, they have a very nice 9 hole golf course. It seems to be growing nicely, but not at the crazy pace of the more Western communities. They are trying to manage the growth sensibly. Hopefully you have a place to live lined up, even in Kenmare. I hear it can be difficult to find something livable and affordable. I'm pretty sure there are at least three bars in town and a lot of places you can grab lunch. Most people should be very friendly, but like everywhere, you might find a few flakes.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra dweller View Post
I grew up there in the 70's and 80's. Still have some friends in the area. Check out Kenmarend.com Very nice small town. You will probably drive to Minot a lot to do your major purchases. It will be a slower pace of life probably than what you are used to. Get out and make some friends, talk to people, take advantage of any rec activites you can find, they have a very nice 9 hole golf course. It seems to be growing nicely, but not at the crazy pace of the more Western communities. They are trying to manage the growth sensibly. Hopefully you have a place to live lined up, even in Kenmare. I hear it can be difficult to find something livable and affordable. I'm pretty sure there are at least three bars in town and a lot of places you can grab lunch. Most people should be very friendly, but like everywhere, you might find a few flakes.
Sounds like it will be quite an adventure! I'm glad they are trying to manage growth because with influx of a lot of people, a lot of change can occur in the area, not always for the better. Thanks for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota