Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2012, 09:33 AM

192 posts, read 497,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Robione....Turning down a very good paying job probably wasn't a smart move imo.

" I already cut short an interview with a ~$100k/yr job. The job was not what I wanted to do. In addition there was no way for me to really enjoy my time off (2 days). "
Yeah I have to agree on this one. Stop spending time on the photo collages, day jobs and IRAs and get serious. People come to ND to work 100+ hours a week and days off are a necessity for sanity and health. My 2 friends work 6 weeks straight and 2 weeks off. Enjoy and relax are not part of the vocabulary up here. IMO

If you did indeed turn down a $100k job and your "enjoyment" was a deciding factor you should reevaluate why you are really here.

This whole thread is starting sound like shenanigans and doubt I'll read it any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 08:50 PM

175 posts, read 459,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Robione....Turning down a very good paying job probably wasn't a smart move imo.
This happened 12 days ago and seemed to go unnoticed. I liked the two sentences after the ones you quoted myself. Particularly the last one. If I was good at this game I wouldn't be out here. I'd be leading an immature and irresponsible life (More so than now anyhow if that's what people are thinking.) with lots of tech gadgets and whiz-bangs, having really learned nothing and living in ignorant bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio125 View Post
Stop spending time on:
  • the photo collages - 1, ~4 hrs, 15 days ago (3 days before interview, when I didn't use my car for safety reasons and walked to staffing agencies/got my bearings in Minot)
  • day jobs - instant money to make ends meet and accomplish goals
  • IRAs - accomplished goal
and get serious....

If you did indeed turn down a $100k job and your "enjoyment" was a deciding factor you should reevaluate why you are really here.

This whole thread is starting sound like shenanigans...
My priorities were spelled out earlier in the thread as far as order of completion: IRA, ability to pay bills (a.k.a. ends met), job search. Second one will more than likely happen through more debt and hence I began to put more effort into the search Monday. I apologize I couldn't swoop in and find a crude hauling job and earn $3k/wk my first day.

The deciding factor was that it was a rotation that I couldn't pursue working for a second employer... driving. Driving, more so than oilfield, is the theme of the companies I applied to / followed up on yesterday's list. If it isn't evident that's what I came to do (considering only the oilfield initially). I'm not taking the first thing that lands in my lap where people expect you to stick around for a while and it not be driving. Jan is right though... I'm not a long-term thinker. I want my cake now and I want to eat it now. I see the cake, not the courses I have to go through to eat it at the "proper" time. I may eat my cake on Friday BTW. I may eat the "cupcake" (non-oilfield driving) tomorrow.
:P

(I may have seen one of your friends in Applebee's today. I doubt there are many 6/2 rigs. Something about guys being out of state and taking one day to get home and one to get back so they went 6/2 instead of 3/1... I'm not touching that one.)

You can make whatever you want out the this thread. There's many reasons I kept it going the two major ones: people's support, a measure of accountability. This takes way more time than anything else (excluding the job search). If there's anything I should stop it's writing this thread.

Forgive me for not posting tonight... tired from filling out apps at 02:00 in my car in the Walmart parking lot this morning, interview at 08:00 tomorrow and things to do.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:31 PM

192 posts, read 497,332 times
My apologies.

I thought this was the City Data, North Dakota chat board.

"I doubt there are many 6/2 rigs"

I never said it was a rig. I doubt a person could survive long a 6/2 on a rig.

There are more oil jobs here than just rigs.

Last edited by scorpio125; 04-17-2012 at 10:53 PM.. Reason: Rig Quote Added

Old 04-18-2012, 03:12 AM

10 posts, read 26,487 times
I've set my sights on Minot, robione, cuz I have carpenter's tools and experience, and wouldn't mind being a trim/finish carpenter for a while, until perhaps, I can get my foot in the door as an Electronics Technician.

...and guess what my overnight accommodations of preference usually ends up being?

Walmart...the home away from home, lol

...that is? if they'll still welcome me with open arms?........and a flat and level parking space

"nomad...........vagabond.........call me what you willllllll"

here I come ND

"wait'll they get a loada meeee"

Old 04-18-2012, 08:05 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,661,715 times
Good Luck Supernova_sunset

Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM

155 posts, read 748,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixall man View Post
well,I arrived in williston today at 1 pm and started work at 2 pm.it seems that I am the only maint. person at the camp,gotta decent room,had prime rib and crab legs for dinner(part of the package)gotta get some sleep,will spend more time in forum on sat.
Hey Fixall man, do you have any updates since your arrival to Williston? I hope they are not working you too hard and that is the reason why we have not heard anything from you since your 04/13/12 post

Old 04-18-2012, 04:26 PM

Yum. Frac sand/construction cake. All paperwork in. Start Tuesday. $22.50 + OT.

Old 04-18-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernova_sunset View Post
... I have carpenter's tools and experience, and wouldn't mind being a trim/finish carpenter for a while...

... if they'll [Walmart] still welcome me with open arms?...
As far as I know there's still no problem parking overnight at Walmart. I haven't gotten a ticket yet. I've been paying a little more attention since my earlier post where I said I wasn't and I only know of one other person consistently there. Again, lot of over-nighters but probably only a handful, if that, of consistent ones.

You should have no problem finding carpentry work. I personally don't know of any companies. Carpentry was far removed from my "radar." There's a lot of repair work from the flood.... like street blocks in the NW area. (Blocks are small here but nonetheless.)

I started taking a few pics and I'll start posting them tonight maybe, definitely within the next few days.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:02 PM

113 posts, read 230,802 times
Those in construction...keep posting and let us know "what", "where" and "how".

Heading up in three weeks!

Robione Congrats!

Old 04-18-2012, 05:09 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Congrats robione.

Who'd you hire on with?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota