Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,655,539 times

Advertisements

My co-workers and I are enjoying your posts, we read them daily. Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:47 PM

175 posts, read 459,127 times
Are you in ND?
Do you hire drivers?
Do you succumb to charm, wit and a box of donuts?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:56 PM

Long day at the base. Moving these beds up to the third floor is a back breaker... especially when pulling a 12 hr day. To think they had an elevator planned but removed for budget reasons. Well I doubt the furniture movers being over budget will exceed the money saved from no elevator but we'll sure put a few nibbles into it.

Tomorrow is looking to be the same. I asked for "half a day" off, meaning I'll start at noon or so. But he's going 'til 23:00... and so am I.

Found the library I was looking for. Open 'til midnight. Looks like I'll be saving a little money by the change in venue (B&N to MSU Library). Applied to a few more places, printed out a few apps to fill out and mail tomorrow. Will hit PowerFuels, GoldSpur, Badlands.... ND Job Center... and more. Too tired to think at the moment.

Well everyone have a goodnight. This is by far the latest night yet in Minot.... (Almost, but not true. It sure does feel like it though.)

Old 04-11-2012, 07:14 AM

23 posts, read 46,234 times
Riveting thread. Wishing you luck from GA!

Old 04-11-2012, 06:17 PM

917 posts, read 2,294,437 times
Hi, Very informative posts, I have a son heading your way and have sent you a private message regarding that. Ann

Old 04-11-2012, 06:19 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,215,243 times
Just saw your "plan" over at ghost's. Interesting idea.
I hope it pans out for you.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:44 PM

Thanks Traversant.

Yesterday was a "little" frustrating. Not the beginning though. I started my day a little late. And apparently I was on the afternoon ticket to work at the base which started at 17:30. So I was told just come in early for noon or one.

It's been a little while since I did applications en mass. I actually didn't even get to ULM or Badlands or GoldSpur! Sanjel had emailed me a response back right away for the driver/operator position and had forwarded me the "real" application. So I completed apps for Sanjel, OMI Diversified, and 2 trucking companies going through Williston Job Services considering people with 0 experience. Sent some supplemental stuff from my packet with them as well.

Between filling everything out, printing documents, and all that stuff, then mailing them at the Post Office.... it was 15:30! I thought no worries.... I'm on the evening work ticket. So I went to PowerFuels.

FINALLY!!! The manager and I were both there at the same time! I tried to sneak the app in my packet so he would look at everything.... nope. He just took out the company app and looked at that. I was curious I had all this information. He replied, "If there are any skeletons in your closet we'll find them in the background checks." (Mr. T: I'm squeaky clean foo!)

I had led in with "no experience," "not the norm to hire such people," etc. He named several people they hired with none. Then these odd questions came... at least they seemed that way to me.

Quote:
PF: "Can you drive?"

Me: I'm sure my face read just that too... which is why I don't play poker.

"Yes. How can you get a license and not know how to drive?"

PF: "You'd be surprised. We've had people w/ 10 yrs OTR experience who can't drive."

Me: Have no idea how that is even possible. Tried to understand how. Dbl clutching?

PF: "How was that for you?"

Me: "Took a little while to downshift properly." Told my CDL story. (Short version: Having only seen a semi before, in 20 minutes I was on strange, icy, city streets with little daylight and plenty of traffic... and got my CDL with 18 more class hours.) "His facial expression resembled... indifference.
I forgot the second one, ironically it's the one he ended with, "I know. It's a dumb question." He was going to send my app to Watford City. Apparently he's only a gatekeeper. They only do their hiring from Watford. That's what I learned from another post a while ago... it just seemed different when speaking with people in person.

Quote:
PF: Then he looked off into the distance and silently repeated in deep thought while seemingly expecting an answer, "3900 S Broadway... 3900 S Broadway."

Me: I couldn't take it anymore.... "Walmart."

PF: (Paraphrased.) We don't hire people who don't have housing. Too much of a flight risk after training.

Me: Traveled 'x', spent 'y' to be here, et cetera, et cetera.

PF: "We don't hire your kind of people. Go to GoldSpur or Fox Run."

Me: I ask for my app back as it is transferred to the junk pile on the desk.

PF: (Tosses it in my direction, seemingly irregardless of where it would land.)

Me: (in thought anyway)
So then I go to the mall and check my voice mail. I had sent an application to CR England. It's an OTR company I thought I might use to "get experience." They seemed all excited to bring me on. I explained my financial situation, as I had just missed the "free tuition" special. She said I only needed $50 for administrative fees!

Then we got into finer details. Apparently there was some confusion on my app. They thought my CDL was through MA not AK. I also said I was in ND right now with intentions of staying. She needed to speak with her director. As it turns out they don't have enough freight going through ND to make it a "home base." They don't do anything in Alaska either so I can't use that. I have to go back to Massachusetts... the place I left after ... many years. I could get on then after transferring my CDL there. What the....

Well time to go to work. Started at the base a little after 17:30. For such a short distance it sure takes a long time to get there. Not to mention the speed limit on base is excessively slow... 15mph at the gate, 30 mph inside. I was partnered with an ex-special forces guy. I guess I have earned some trust and respect from the foreman through my work. The two of us were allowed to stay late.

I was excited. It would be nice to get stuff done. No people in the way. We could just plow through things. We kept a good pace and definitely put a dent in things. But it is amazing how much work is required to setup and furnish a room.... and how expensive it is for the Government.

It was a different experience. I met another special forces guy in Tony's Bar in Kodiak, AK. Both of them were very nice people. But I find it hard to relate to them. All they know is violence and killing. So I heard a lot of stories... records in killing, injuries sustained and given, all the schooling and training he went through. We got along... and I think respect each other. I can't really participate in a conversation like that. My experiences are the complete opposite. So I just listen. We shared our stories. Then he shared more death and violence. Then 2am arrived. We had unwrapped many dining room chairs, setup desk chairs, and moved a bunch of furniture around. Mission Successful.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:22 PM

My pass is not valid from midnight to 04:00. A realization made around 01:00. Luckily I was not pulled over. We then went to a new sleeping spot (for me) off of 36th Ave. near the Indoor Tennis facility. It was peaceful and quiet. No traffic noise what-so-ever. I slept without ear plugs and for the first time actually heard my other two alarm clocks.... but my cell phone woke me up first.... at 5:45am. Yes ~3 hrs of sleep with a brief interruption at 4am.

Today nothing special. Special forces wanted to hang out after work and fish. I wanted to goto B&N and write my posts. Although I wouldn't mind finding where he's sleeping because my hat is in my hoodie at the job site. Vibrating telephone is useless not touching me LOL. We were to wake each other up if the other's alarm wasn't... effective. So I wouldn't mind doing the same again. It's in one of two spots.... and both are closer to the base which is nice. It's hard to not be closer from anywhere other than Walmart.

Special forces may help me get a job out of Dickinson. $16/hr for 2 months then $27. OT after 8 hrs/day. I can skip driving for that. Just the drama of "help out"/"*expletive* me over and I'll blacklist you from North Dakota" is unneeded. Kinda a turn-off to be honest. If you trust me and my work speaks for itself go for it... otherwise don't help. That's how I figure it. Guess he's been burned before though.

There's ~3 weeks of furniture moving. Hate to bore everyone with 21 days of "moving chairs, desks, appliances" posts. So I'll keep them short. Got out at 5pm. Checks deposited and on my way to B&N. I'm like $40 from my goal today. So basically I achieved my goal! Going to move funds around after this post. Now that my balance will be about zero... need to save for April's bills. Then I'll be "free" for a bit and the pursuit can really begin.

I should also mention I should date the librarian... either that or they read my post because all B&W are 10 cents not FREE. I found that out yesterday printing out all that stuff LOL.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:39 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,118,910 times
Robione...wow...Hard to understand someone being that rude. I have to say, I sure hope that isn't the norm for folks. I haven't heard anyone be so descriptive of their interviews before you started your posts...which are a delight to read, so expressive and personable. I hope that your other interviews are not so horrible, and disrespectful. So, for those of you applying also, sure wish you warmer and more hospitable introductions to potential employers. Have to say, this guy might be just a taste of the rest of the company....maybe you dodged a bullet. Sleep well, and let us know what tomorrow brings. Good luck on your next interviews.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:48 PM

Default Plea for assistance...

One last post for today... this is something I normally don't do as I don't like depending on others' charity. If I wasn't in such a bind financially I probably wouldn't even ask this.

What happened at PowerFuels is what spurred this brainchild. I was curious if any native Minot-ian or denizen of a nearby town would allow me to use their address for residence. I have no plan of actually staying there. I told the manager at PF I'm more than content staying in my car. And I sincerely am. (I spent over a year in a hammock in Alaska. This is an "upgrade." ) At Walmart... the Indoor Tennis facility... wherever. If possible it would be nice if I could receive mail.... only for job-related things. So I expect rarely to never. Nearly all my mail is sent to Massachusetts.

Obviously I'm a stranger and don't expect anyone to agree to this without knowing me. I'm up to meet anyone who would help, B&N for coffee, Space Aliens, Hibabchi, wherever. PM me and I'll give you my number and we can set something up.

And to the user who recently sent me a PM I just wanted to clarify this is not a veiled request directed at you if you felt that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota