U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2012, 04:20 PM

443 posts, read 691,206 times

Advertisements

robione, here's a strategy that you're already pursuing (sort of).
There are a lot of positions in the area that used to be considered "good jobs", that aren't competitive with oil field employment. Examples include UPS, FedEX, Con Way, Yellow, Waste Management, BNSF railroad, and various county and municipal positions. A long term strategist might consider employment with these organizations which were there before the boom and will be there after the boom. Over time, you will earn far more money at one of the former "good jobs" than at a boom job. A young guy (or gal) could gain a lot of seniority while the boomers chase their tails.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 05:07 PM

1,288 posts, read 955,821 times
Listen to ursa22!!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:20 PM

14 posts, read 28,073 times
I haven't read through this thread entirely,, so it may have been cited already, but look at jobsnd.com

Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 PM

175 posts, read 404,471 times
Tynkrbelle I knew about that already.... months before I came here. My problem isn't finding work, something I did < 24 hrs after I started looking. It's finding what I came here to do. The second problem is that working during the day M-F keeps me pretty much at the same place in life and pretty much eliminates me looking for other stuff... hence my Monday off. Which actually might turn into 2.5 weeks but I have to run numbers.

I came prepared with a number of links, companies, certs/CDL, and cold weather gear (which has proven utterly useless so far). Unfortunately I didn't have much of a plan besides maxing my Roth IRA for 2011 and getting day work at Command Center. (Consequently the former is why I needed the latter.) Due to timing I now have my monthly CC bills to pay so I need to come up with ~$800 over the next two weeks. Nothing too difficult to do but just one of those things where I need to work and not look for other things. (Maybe I'm not that organized after all and other's have no problem with this but I haven't mastered it yet, LOL.) Then I'll be left with ~$0... which I need to get back up to ~$900 for the next month plus food and gas which is not part of that figure. So if you run the numbers with $10-$12/hr with minimal OT (don't forget taxes).... it's pretty much a grind.

Being in this battle with CC's has conditioned me to not "waste" money. I manage to do it occassionally though. The prospect of me spending ~$3000+ for my CDL not ever using it kills me. That might be something I need to get over and just get on the wells period. But that's where I'm at in a nutshell. I already cut short an interview with a ~$100k/yr job. The job was not what I wanted to do. In addition there was no way for me to really enjoy my time off (2 days). Give me a week+ off, plus ~$2k/wk working at any job and I can make that work. Gimme all that at I job I want and I'll work when I have the option to be off!!!

(To give you an idea of what I need to pay off... it'll be about 3-3.5 months of working on the wells/driving after tax.)

Last edited by robione; 04-15-2012 at 10:22 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 04-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Progress Made:
  • Applications
    • Fedex - Submitted resume via email. Can't edit application any longer after being booted off by wacky wifi at wings place.
    • GoldSpur
    • Con-way Freight - Only accept students within 30 days of finishing CDL school.
    • Sanjel
    • Frac Tech - Getting late. Will apply online tonight. Can't find a definitive address in Minot for them in my searches (like Magnum).
    • Strata - Hopefully will get the fly-ash driver position. I'll be on the wells then. But I'll take ready-mix driver if offered.
    • Sundre Sand & Gravel - Tomorrow
    • Zimney Oil Field Services
    • D&H Trucking (Add-on)
    • Couple of Craigslist postings (Add-on)
    • Pumpco - Tonight. Online. Same position as Sanjel and Frac Tech. (Driver/Operator) (Add-on)
  • Follow-ups/Inquiries
    • UCP Personnel Services - No positions on wells. Apparently the hiring blitz is over for now... for them. No change on driving.
    • Wolf Oil Field Services - Voice mail then later no boss around. Call another day.
    • Fox Run - Voice mail 2x. No msg left. Will talk to person. Will test my plan out.
    • Magnum - Require 1 yr experience regardless of my plan.
    • Cross Country Couriers - Oopsie... tomorrow.
    • OMI Diversified - That's a negative.
    • Job Services @ Williston - Only forward apps. One company is anonymous. The other specified on their website to not call.
    • Sand Solutions - Don't directly employ drivers. (Add-on)
    • Command Center @ Williston - Chances of day work are 50/50, so I was told. That'll put a damper on an extended stay. Might head back to Minot same night.(Add-on)
    • CR England - Voice mail 3x. No msg. (Add-on)

Overall feeling:

Last edited by robione; 04-16-2012 at 05:49 PM.. Reason: Strata comment

Old 04-16-2012, 06:53 PM

Nothing quite like the feeling of a vibrating phone that only the Command Center and potential employers have the number to! I spoke with the manager of Fedex and like the guy at Fox Run he has to make some calls. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning.

Dose of reality at Barnes and Nobles... the card that had ~$450 of credit left when I arrived was rejected. I now have under $7 left. 98.45% Money shuffle.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:55 PM

113 posts, read 205,806 times
Good luck.....

Old 04-16-2012, 07:14 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,106,939 times
I can't remember... Have you talked to Badlands Trucking in Minot? Or D&T?

Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM

Just submitted my app to D&T today. Saw the trucks before but saw an ad on LiveWorkPlayMinot.com (or some combination of the first three) today. Forgot about Badlands... oopsie. I had submitted their online "app" about 2 weeks ago. Not much more than a lead capture page. (Name, Address, CDL?). I'll go there tomorrow before I head out to Williston.

Time to hunker down and eat oatmeal and SlimFast and drink water only, cut down on extra miles and just work... wherever that may be.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:40 AM

15,682 posts, read 17,996,515 times
Robione....Turning down a very good paying job probably wasn't a smart move imo.

" I already cut short an interview with a ~$100k/yr job. The job was not what I wanted to do. In addition there was no way for me to really enjoy my time off (2 days). "

Most trucking companies want 1-2 years experience, especially in the Bakken area.....whch is posing challenges for even experienced drivers. Taking a job related to what you want, then getting the occasional driving time while you build credibility w/ your employer might lead to your eventually having that desired position. Plus, untold opportunities to network and learn what you need to know to make yourself more marketable in the meantime. Hope you gave that 100,000 job lead to another deserving poster on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota