U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:48 AM

113 posts, read 207,220 times

Advertisements

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM

If you don't know it....those who help here are priceless.

Would a train/plane ride and rent a car be the way to go then move or just do the move and not look back?

Old 04-15-2012, 03:20 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,440,406 times
Thomas, if you are looking to move the whole family....you might consider checking out towns a few hours away from the Bakken area...then going home on your days off. If you need some suggestions, just shout. If you are talking about yourself coming to just get a job, you would need a car once there, even if it is parked for your days on shift. There is no other mode of reliable transport at this time for folks working on the rigs. So, discuss w/ some of the folks already there. However fixall man rode the amtrak and was picked up there by the co to start work. Check w/ him, if it is a matter of leaving your car for family.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM

So far so good..... Been contacted already from some construction companies.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:07 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,440,406 times
Nice!!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:49 AM

Started my planning.........

I traveled in the sheet metal trade in the late 80's to 90's all over so I know the "rules' of the road.

Worse case...... Taking day labor while looking for work. But I've sent apps and corresponding.

Plan on a 30 day time limit to land a paying job that will benefit my savings account. Enough money to get there and back and stay one month should do it.

Am I missing anything?

Old 04-17-2012, 06:53 AM

594 posts, read 1,198,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLong View Post
Heading up soon... It's a do or die attempt to find employment.
I'm 46 and have light to heavy equipment experience. Many years in construction. No problem sleeping in car.
Minot and Kildeer area.

Would you do it?
My fellow Floridian!
My brother is in Minot, and he is sleeping in his car, showering at a friends house. It can be done, and in the meantime network, make friends. You will find at least a room to rent eventually. Good Luck!

Old 04-17-2012, 08:00 AM

Thanks....

Anyone

What's the skinny on firearms in the vehicle? I've read the laws...
Just want to know how L.E. view it up there.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM

154 posts, read 357,110 times
Quote:
Thanks....

Anyone

Unloaded and not concealed. Not saying lay your deer rifle on the dash, just don't put it under the seat or cover it up. Trunk is okay too but if you get pulled over tell the officer that you have it/them.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM

454 posts, read 812,519 times
Quote:
Thanks....

Anyone

If you have a permit to carry that is recognized by ND you may have a loaded firearm in your vehicle legally: Look closely at 62.1-02-10 #3. As far as how LE views it up here? I would hope they would follow the laws that are in place. I believe that without a carry permit, if you have a loaded firearm or a concealed weapon in your vehicle within reach of you, it's a misdemeanor, minimum fine of $500.00, and loss of the weapon. Many people do carry firearms in their vehicles here - some legally and some not.

62.1-02-10. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle - Penalty - Exceptions.
No person may keep or carry a loaded firearm in or on any motor vehicle in this state. Any
person violating this section is guilty of a class B misdemeanor. This prohibition does not apply
to:
1. A member of the armed forces of the United States or national guard, organized
reserves, state defense forces, or state guard organizations while possessing the
firearm issued to the member by the organization and while on official duty.
2. A law enforcement officer, except while the officer is engaged in hunting or trapping
activities with a rifle or shotgun.
Page No. 4
3. Any person possessing a valid North Dakota concealed weapons license or a valid
license issued by another state authorizing the person to carry a dangerous weapon
concealed if that state permits a holder of a valid North Dakota concealed weapons
license to carry a dangerous weapon concealed in that state without obtaining a
similar license from that state, except while that person is in the field engaged in
hunting or trapping activities.
4. Any person in the field engaged in lawful hunting or trapping of nongame species or
fur-bearing animals.
5. A security guard or private investigator licensed to carry firearms by the attorney
general.
6. Any person possessing a valid special permit issued pursuant to section 20.1-02-05.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota