Originally Posted by ThomasLong
What's the skinny on firearms in the vehicle? I've read the laws...
Just want to know how L.E. view it up there.
If you have a permit to carry that is recognized by ND you may have a loaded firearm in your vehicle legally: Look closely at 62.1-02-10 #3. As far as how LE views it up here? I would hope they would follow the laws that are in place. I believe that without a carry permit, if you have a loaded firearm or a concealed weapon in your vehicle within reach of you, it's a misdemeanor, minimum fine of $500.00, and loss of the weapon. Many people do carry firearms in their vehicles here - some legally and some not.
62.1-02-10. Carrying loaded firearm in vehicle - Penalty - Exceptions.
No person may keep or carry a loaded firearm in or on any motor vehicle in this state. Any
person violating this section is guilty of a class B misdemeanor. This prohibition does not apply
1. A member of the armed forces of the United States or national guard, organized
reserves, state defense forces, or state guard organizations while possessing the
firearm issued to the member by the organization and while on official duty.
2. A law enforcement officer, except while the officer is engaged in hunting or trapping
activities with a rifle or shotgun.
Page No. 4
3. Any person possessing a valid North Dakota concealed weapons license or a valid
license issued by another state authorizing the person to carry a dangerous weapon
concealed if that state permits a holder of a valid North Dakota concealed weapons
license to carry a dangerous weapon concealed in that state without obtaining a
similar license from that state, except while that person is in the field engaged in
hunting or trapping activities.
4. Any person in the field engaged in lawful hunting or trapping of nongame species or
5. A security guard or private investigator licensed to carry firearms by the attorney
6. Any person possessing a valid special permit issued pursuant to section 20.1-02-05.