U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:24 PM

5,991 posts, read 7,926,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johny_utah View Post
I know North Dakota is getting a lot of the publicity but Texas has just as many or more jobs. Maybe because Texas has always had oil so nothing new. As far as jobs with degrees Houston is one of the best cities in the nation for job growth.
Well if Houston is willing/able to double my salary then Houston, here I come!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,175,458 times
Quote:
Actually the pay is higer in Texas. The demand is so high now starting entry level is $25.00 an hour in the oil fields. Plus the winters aren't as bad and more to do in Texas on the off days.
More to do? In regards to what, exactly?

So far as pay...is that a rate which includes benefits? OT? Guaranteed hours? Housing? And what type of a job is that?

I've never seen someone just throw out a single number, I guess.

Old 05-08-2012, 04:56 PM

15,833 posts, read 18,470,538 times
Quote:
Actually the pay is higer in Texas. The demand is so high now starting entry level is $25.00 an hour in the oil fields. Plus the winters aren't as bad and more to do in Texas on the off days.
And there is probably housing to boot. Great....Then Texas it is. Probably find some great information in the Texas threads.
Now, back on topic. Florida to North Dakota......Thomas Long be sure to let us know how it goes for you as you come up. Would like to hear your travel and experiences much like another poster that updates regularly in another thread. Be safe, and hope you have a great job lined up.
Here is a thread w/ plenty of construction projects listed.

Last edited by JanND; 05-08-2012 at 05:26 PM..

Old 05-09-2012, 09:31 AM

5,991 posts, read 7,926,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
More to do? In regards to what, exactly?

So far as pay...is that a rate which includes benefits? OT? Guaranteed hours? Housing? And what type of a job is that?

I've never seen someone just throw out a single number, I guess.
I have a SERIOUSLY hard time believing that jobs in West Texas pay more than North Dakota (same jobs)! The biggest reason ND pays so well is that nobody lives nearby and they need PEOPLE! People like Thomas have to take a leap of faith essentially to look for a job in ND, because it's so far from his home AND there are no places to stay! That's not a problem in Texas. Also, in Texas there are droves of unskilled or skilled laborers looking for work, and the region is enormously populated (Texas that is).

Old 05-10-2012, 11:19 AM

4 posts, read 8,669 times
If you don't have oilfield experience, there are no jobs in West Texas. My husband was a civilian contractor in Afghanistan and Uzbekistan for 7 years. Came home and applied for anything and everything related to his former job...he ran the camps over there. No takers. He has a background in concrete construction as well. Anyway, he ended up working for a local fast food company working 50+ hours a week (which is no big deal...he was working 15-18 hours days overseas) and his take home was about $1000 every two weeks. He's headed up to Dickinson right now, looking for work.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM

113 posts, read 207,306 times
I rethinking about just driving up...I may take an RV with me even if I find housing I can sell the rv as prices are higher and can make a nice profit...

Old 05-15-2012, 07:11 AM

Seem's Bismark has high paying jobs also. I have a phone interview for a foreman position for a large siding company.

I'm throwing out apps like crazy and tracking down there "real" location to knock on their door when I get there. My plan is to start in Bismark the first day and then move outward to the remote cities and seek the best fitting job for me.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 AM

15,833 posts, read 18,470,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLong View Post
Seem's Bismark has high paying jobs also. I have a phone interview for a foreman position for a large siding company.

I'm throwing out apps like crazy and tracking down there "real" location to knock on their door when I get there. My plan is to start in Bismark the first day and then move outward to the remote cities and seek the best fitting job for me.
Give some thought to the "seasonal" aspect of some jobs in N.D. Don't sell yourself short. Unlike Florida....construction and outside jobs can be pretty unreliable during winter months up here....Just throwing that out there.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 AM

Seasonal may work..... Foreman pay with overtime is a great start, I will keep an eye open.

Last edited by ThomasLong; 05-15-2012 at 09:46 AM..

Old 05-17-2012, 05:34 PM

Did a phone interview with a siding company based in Bismarck...Offered me a foreman position. Least I have a wage to gauge from when interviewing with others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota