U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2012, 09:41 AM

454 posts, read 812,270 times

Advertisements

It's up to LE to enforce this, and evidently they plan do try and do it - somehow, otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing it now.

Most people can get a pretty good impression of other people by how they post and what they post. That is why we all have certain feelings about other members, it's all based on the posts they make and what they state in those posts.

This has nothing to do with drivers licenses, it is in regards to registering vehicles. It is up to the folks who are coming here to work to educate themselves on what they need to do to be within the bounds of the law. It's not up to the state to stop every single person coming here to work and then read them the laws of ND. What ever happened to personal responsibility?

Saying that the vast majority of people don't even know about it, doesn't matter, it's the law.

People need to take the steps to educate themselves when they are working in a place that isn't their home, or face the consequences of choosing to remain uninformed.

Some officers are more lenient than others - no doubt, so it's all in the luck of the draw on that one.

An article addressing some of the very things we are discussing, lots of info:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/even...cle/id/234538/

Last edited by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska; 04-20-2012 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Added link, corrected spelling error.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 10:48 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,169,852 times
I think you might need to re-read the thread.

Quote:
It's up to LE to enforce this, and evidently they plan do try and do it - somehow, otherwise we wouldn't even be discussing it now.
We're discussing it now because someone asked a pretty typical question that you see on any of the state boards in any given month.
It was the answer that was unexpected and created the conversation.

Quote:
This has nothing to do with drivers licenses,
Re-read the thread. I was responding to ElkHunter's post. That's why I quoted it.

And I'm thinking an article in the Grand Forks paper isn't going to help much for the thousands of guys in the oil patch...However, it does prove my theory: It's a minor fine--$100. Which, doesn't "far exceed doing it right," btw.

My point remains, when a law is something unexpected, there is no way people are even going to know they're supposed to go looking for it. And ignorance of the law is indeed an excuse. It happens everyday. That's a part of the purpose of "warnings", afterall.

Old 04-20-2012, 11:47 AM

625 posts, read 1,606,434 times
ND has some of the lowest license & insurance rates on the nation. We pay $60-$70 in license fees for each of our 3 vehicles and insurance is around $150/year each.

Here in Valley City, I know the cops keep track of unfamiliar vehicles and after 30-40 days you get a note in the mail suggesting you get r done.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
ND has some of the lowest license & insurance rates on the nation. We pay $60-$70 in license fees for each of our 3 vehicles and insurance is around $150/year each.

Here in Valley City, I know the cops keep track of unfamiliar vehicles and after 30-40 days you get a note in the mail suggesting you get r done.
Mail? This goes back to the issue of an address... and no, $60-70 isn't bad. Thats what we always paid in nebraska, too.
But they're asking $120 (DOUBLE what you as a resident pay), and that's on top of what people are paying in *their* state of residence...

Old 04-20-2012, 03:13 PM

175 posts, read 407,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
... most people have never heard of it but it's a relatively small fine, so they don't argue, they just pay it...
IDK how it works here but for insurance, it never mattered what the fine was. Each offense had so many points associated with it and that determined your annual premium. Similar thing here? I honestly never cared about the fine it was always the insurance.

Quote:
If you don't actually have an address, you can't get a driver's license in the state even if you want one. lol...
I had this problem in Alaska for a while. What a pain in the tootie. My MA license had been expired for three months at that point to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Oaks View Post
.... and insurance is around $150/year each.
Wha?!? I'm a convert! I'll be legal w/i the time limit. ... Well close.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 PM

113 posts, read 207,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You are probably speaking to deaf ears about licensing, either car or person.

College students are usually exempt and can maintain their home state plates. For others, it doesn't make any difference who it is licensed to and where they live, it matters where it is used. I could see it now, "Well, I drive this semi for Mid West Coast and Tom Jordan owns it and he lives in Mitchell South Dakota, so there for I don't have to license to pull in your state, right?"

However, workers should license and plate. But they won't. Most will think that their State Income tax will cover everything they do. They don't consider a lot of other things that this ties into. They rent, so they are not contributing to the community in any form, what-so-ever. They are not helping out with the parks or activities for kids around town. Nothing to the Library system, but I would bet that they are the majority user of the computers there. Hiking trails, bike paths, boat ramps, skate parks,, traffic signs, intersetion lights, even the bench by the intersection to set and rest. The beautification of down town, benches, statues, landmarks and all of the equipment at the city park. I've heard and seen hundreds, if not thousands, of posts on City Data saying, "I'm moving to North Dakota, what is there for kids to do?" Yet they won't contribute to what kids will do. But they'll sure raise hell when 8 teenagers are bored, and opt to keep themselves busy.

So what makes you think that they want to contribute to Highway Safety Campains, alert signs, 511 Notify, highway cams, and rest areas?

A lot of people want to become a part of the community but they are complete blind to what makes a community.

Interesting view you have there.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:38 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
Quote:
I think you might need to re-read the thread.

We're discussing it now because someone asked a pretty typical question that you see on any of the state boards in any given month.
It was the answer that was unexpected and created the conversation.

Re-read the thread. I was responding to ElkHunter's post. That's why I quoted it.

And I'm thinking an article in the Grand Forks paper isn't going to help much for the thousands of guys in the oil patch...However, it does prove my theory: It's a minor fine--$100. Which, doesn't "far exceed doing it right," btw.

My point remains, when a law is something unexpected, there is no way people are even going to know they're supposed to go looking for it. And ignorance of the law is indeed an excuse. It happens everyday. That's a part of the purpose of "warnings", afterall.
Yep, lots of folks are ignorant. The jails are full of em. One way or the other, we locals will get to pay for those that don't. Somehow I think I always expect more from folks that many of us offer help and support while they are planning to come to our state and reside and be gainfully employed. It sort of surprizes a person to see someone that edits folks grammar, defending ignorance of the law as a justifiable excuse.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:55 PM

175 posts, read 407,549 times
I'm not for defending ignorance of the law. But when researching registration it's more of, "how long can I stay before I need to get plates?" Connecting employment and registration like ElkHunter alluded to is an association I (and apparently many) never would have thought.

Anywho... we all know now. I'm going to be a convert! Hallelujah!!! Saves me $$$ having ND insurance. Just don't tell me I can have ND insurance and MA plates. I'm too lazy to do the research now and don't want to know.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Yep, lots of folks are ignorant. The jails are full of em. One way or the other, we locals will get to pay for those that don't. Somehow I think I always expect more from folks that many of us offer help and support while they are planning to come to our state and reside and be gainfully employed. It sort of surprizes a person to see someone that edits folks grammar, defending ignorance of the law as a justifiable excuse.
I thought maybe I was just taking your last couple of posts wrong, but this is getting downright snotty...

You do realize I'm speaking in generalities, right?

(Or maybe I'm just missing something as the "edits folks' grammar" thing completely baffles me) As it stands, I really don't know what I ever did to you to deserve such nastiness...

Old 04-20-2012, 07:01 PM

15,824 posts, read 18,434,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
I'm not for defending ignorance of the law. But when researching registration it's more of, "how long can I stay before I need to get plates?" Connecting employment and registration like ElkHunter alluded to is an association I (and apparently many) never would have thought.

Anywho... we all know now. I'm going to be a convert! Hallelujah!!! Saves me $$$ having ND insurance. Just don't tell me I can have ND insurance and MA plates. I'm too lazy to do the research now and don't want to know.
LOL, No worries....We'll keep that for another day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota