Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 11:40 AM

18,700 posts, read 41,882,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Hard to prove you live somewhere else when you're working 100 hrs here. Just do the right thing.....People come here for the money, but try to get by w/ this kind of petty BS. Have respect for the place that is making you richer. Same goes for the actual drivers lic. there is a time limit.....you are required to have a N.D. drivers license, or I.D. and vehicles registered. All I'm sayin....
And, for someone living in another state, and working in an adjacent state, it might work.....unless they find you parked in Walmart parking lot sleeping.
But if you are states away, working for so and so....80-100 hrs week.....It ain't gonna fly. We might be nice in N. D. but we aren't stupid. Do the right thing, it's good karma.
You are probably speaking to deaf ears about licensing, either car or person.

College students are usually exempt and can maintain their home state plates. For others, it doesn't make any difference who it is licensed to and where they live, it matters where it is used. I could see it now, "Well, I drive this semi for Mid West Coast and Tom Jordan owns it and he lives in Mitchell South Dakota, so there for I don't have to license to pull in your state, right?"

However, workers should license and plate. But they won't. Most will think that their State Income tax will cover everything they do. They don't consider a lot of other things that this ties into. They rent, so they are not contributing to the community in any form, what-so-ever. They are not helping out with the parks or activities for kids around town. Nothing to the Library system, but I would bet that they are the majority user of the computers there. Hiking trails, bike paths, boat ramps, skate parks,, traffic signs, intersetion lights, even the bench by the intersection to set and rest. The beautification of down town, benches, statues, landmarks and all of the equipment at the city park. I've heard and seen hundreds, if not thousands, of posts on City Data saying, "I'm moving to North Dakota, what is there for kids to do?" Yet they won't contribute to what kids will do. But they'll sure raise hell when 8 teenagers are bored, and opt to keep themselves busy.

So what makes you think that they want to contribute to Highway Safety Campains, alert signs, 511 Notify, highway cams, and rest areas?

A lot of people want to become a part of the community but they are complete blind to what makes a community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,207,542 times
And a lot of people DON'T want to be part of the community (hence the permanent address that remains in another state). For that matter, a lot of these guys are driving their personal vehicles a few days a month while in ND and otherwise they're just parked.

Like I said, this is the same thing you see in ANY of the oil and gas patches around the country. Most of these guys aren't permanent residents. Or at least they aren't at first.

You wanna guess how many ND plates I see here in eastern Colorado? lol (I'll give you a hint: They aren't particularly rare )

Old 04-19-2012, 01:00 PM

993 posts, read 2,480,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post
Since you posted that your friend 'moved' to ND, Is she up here working or planning to make ND her permanent home? If so, she might want to have the owner of the vehicle register the car here in ND.
I do not know whether or not she is working, and I also don't know if she is going to make it her permanent home either, hell I don't even know her.

Old 04-19-2012, 05:23 PM

Residency for drivers license

Any person other than a nonresident student, a tourist, or a nonresident member of the Armed Forces who has lived in this state 90 consecutive days shall be deemed a resident of North Dakota for the purpose of driver licensing. You may use your non-commercial license from another state for a period of 60 days after you become a resident of North Dakota. You may use your commercial license from another state for a period of 30 days after you become a resident of North Dakota. Proof of North Dakota resident address may be required.

NDDOT - License Information

I guess you could try and convince the officer that you are a tourist and your company allows you more than 3 months of vacation each year.

It's kind of funny. Many years ago in South Dakota, you had 30 days to get your license. You had 30 days to get your tags. The state said, You are a resident after 30 days. However, if you wanted to get a resident fishing license, you had to be there 1 year. Now which is it? 30 days, or 1 year for residency, make up your mind?

Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,207,542 times
Quote:
who has lived in this state 90 consecutive days
Precisely. That's three months. Straight.

A lot of these guys are working 2 weeks on/2 weeks off, 3on/1 off, 6on/2off, etc, etc. They're not going to have 90 consecutive days. That's why residency is in their home states.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM

175 posts, read 458,823 times
Good point, itsMeFred!!! Looks like I will have to take some time off once every quarter.

As for contributing to communities... IDK how it works here (I sincerely mean to not sound sarcastic) but state gas tax pays for roads, real estate tax pays for schools and an assortment of other things, state income tax pays for whatever. That's how it works in MA anyway. Every tax is allocated to some budget(s). Non-residents here got two outta three. And they're building like mad so the third is coming around.... in the meantime the builders are creating a bunch of state income/gas tax. Then there is sales tax... alcohol tax... tobacco tax...

I don't understand the temporary registration thing. I think every state has a residency thing... stay here 'x' number of days and you're suppose to change licenses... update your address if you changed spots w/i the state, etc. I've never heard of a state saying if you want to work here you have to register your vehicle in this state. Sounds like the state is getting a little greedy. :/

If the fines from citations goes to communities then the state should reapportion the increased tax revenue to make up for it... or if allowed, communities should instate their own sales tax on a temporary or permanent basis. Basically (for me) it comes down to the temporary registration requirement... seems not well thought out when there are plenty of other ways to generate revenue that make more sense.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:10 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,075,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You are probably speaking to deaf ears about licensing, either car or person.

College students are usually exempt and can maintain their home state plates. For others, it doesn't make any difference who it is licensed to and where they live, it matters where it is used. I could see it now, "Well, I drive this semi for Mid West Coast and Tom Jordan owns it and he lives in Mitchell South Dakota, so there for I don't have to license to pull in your state, right?"

However, workers should license and plate. But they won't. Most will think that their State Income tax will cover everything they do. They don't consider a lot of other things that this ties into. They rent, so they are not contributing to the community in any form, what-so-ever. They are not helping out with the parks or activities for kids around town. Nothing to the Library system, but I would bet that they are the majority user of the computers there. Hiking trails, bike paths, boat ramps, skate parks,, traffic signs, intersetion lights, even the bench by the intersection to set and rest. The beautification of down town, benches, statues, landmarks and all of the equipment at the city park. I've heard and seen hundreds, if not thousands, of posts on City Data saying, "I'm moving to North Dakota, what is there for kids to do?" Yet they won't contribute to what kids will do. But they'll sure raise hell when 8 teenagers are bored, and opt to keep themselves busy.

So what makes you think that they want to contribute to Highway Safety Campains, alert signs, 511 Notify, highway cams, and rest areas?

A lot of people want to become a part of the community but they are complete blind to what makes a community.
AMEN!! You have totally told it. I don't begrudge anyone a good paying job. But I often resent the sense of entitlement, and "Your City should....." insert anything you can imagine here""
You are so right about community. You are either part of the solution, or you are part of the problem. I think everyone that earns a living in a community should be part of the solution. Thanks Elk for laying it out there.

Old 04-19-2012, 10:01 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,075,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post
Good point, itsMeFred!!! Looks like I will have to take some time off once every quarter.

As for contributing to communities... IDK how it works here (I sincerely mean to not sound sarcastic) but state gas tax pays for roads, real estate tax pays for schools and an assortment of other things, state income tax pays for whatever. That's how it works in MA anyway. Every tax is allocated to some budget(s). Non-residents here got two outta three. And they're building like mad so the third is coming around.... in the meantime the builders are creating a bunch of state income/gas tax. Then there is sales tax... alcohol tax... tobacco tax...

I don't understand the temporary registration thing. I think every state has a residency thing... stay here 'x' number of days and you're suppose to change licenses... update your address if you changed spots w/i the state, etc. I've never heard of a state saying if you want to work here you have to register your vehicle in this state. Sounds like the state is getting a little greedy. :/

If the fines from citations goes to communities then the state should reapportion the increased tax revenue to make up for it... or if allowed, communities should instate their own sales tax on a temporary or permanent basis. Basically (for me) it comes down to the temporary registration requirement... seems not well thought out when there are plenty of other ways to generate revenue that make more sense.
And your point is??? The N.D. residents pay all the various taxes you mention, as well as property taxes if they own a home. And, so we are supposed to carry the burden while folks that gripe about even registering their vehicles as required, use our police, our emt's, libraries, 911, our public facilities, schools. Essentially all public officials are overworked, and the system is overburdened. It's like a person using your home, for months, years, but not being willing to pay their share of the utilities, the maintenance. Updating your address is a requirement for anyone. And your answer, reapportion the revenue....but leave your revenue alone?? Seems pretty ridiculous. Hmmm, I'm hearing a great sucking sound.....

Old 04-19-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robione View Post

Mostly, you have a handle on it. But let me fine tune it a little. Taxes on fuels pays for part of the highways. Right at 50%. The rest is funded by Fed Gov for Fed highways and interstate. But those funds don't cover rest areas, parking areas, most signs, etc. Gas tax pays for laying pavement, basically.

Property tax pays partly for schools. But a lot of the oil workers are not contributing one red cent towards personal property tax. A lot of workers want to bring their families and I think that's great. But that is extra burden on the schools that they are not paying for. It's not their fault, it's just the way the system is.

You mention sales tax, alcohol tax, etc. You'll find that everywhere. Alcohol tax goes towards ad campains for safety. Don't drink while pregnant, don't drink and drive, etc.

Temporary tags. By the way, NO Place does it say anything about Consecutive Days. haha The Temporary tags were a method to give you, a migrant worker, a chance to be legal without having to pay full fee's for the year, and you won't be in North Dakota for the year. There is a lot of migrant workers that work crops. Combine crews going through for harvest, beet pickers, etc that will only be in North Dakota for a few months. There is no sense in them paying for the year. So the state come up with a method to NOT charge you for time not spent there.

Somebody mentioned, Well the vehicle is only used once every two weeks. That doesn't make any differnece. If the vehicle is in the state it has to be tagged. It doesn't matter how often it is used. Think about people that have motorhomes. They use it 14 days out of 365, but they still pay for annual tags.

When I worked construction, I used to have 3 state license plates on my pickup because I worked in 3 different states. Would be in one state for 2 or 3 weeks, and then the next state for 2 or 3 weeks and then back to another state for 2 or 3 weeks. I had to plate in all 3 states. I also had to pay full year fee's to plate each one.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:10 PM

175 posts, read 458,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
.... reapportion the revenue....but leave your revenue alone??
I pay ND sales tax... income tax... gas tax. My point was the state is seeing increased tax revenue. Instead of just having bigger budgets for x, y, and z because of increased sales tax revenue keep those items the same (if they can) but give the oil communities more $$$ for infrastructure and public services that are needed.

I went to UMass Dartmouth in early/mid-2000s. They laid off professors because there was no money in that budget. They also repaved every single parking lot that year because there was plenty of money in that budget. It was the dumbest thing we had ever heard. Reapportion the funds... keep the teachers! The parking lots were in fine condition. It's like I-195 in MA... I swear they have so much money in that budget it seems like they just keep repaving the road. Literally one end to the other... over and over, in a never-ending cycle. It's a little excessive and wasteful IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

When I worked construction, I used to have 3 state license plates on my pickup because I worked in 3 different states. Would be in one state for 2 or 3 weeks, and then the next state for 2 or 3 weeks and then back to another state for 2 or 3 weeks. I had to plate in all 3 states. I also had to pay full year fee's to plate each one.
Perhaps it's common here but it is completely alien to the New England area. Or it's never enforced. But honestly, until this thread I never even heard of such a thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota