Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 PM

454 posts, read 938,810 times

Advertisements

WMA camping restricted in western ND oil patch | The Dickinson Press | Dickinson, North Dakota

Same old song and dance.

"The boom in the oil patch has led to a housing crunch, and wildlife chief Randy Kreil tells The Bismarck Tribune some people are setting up camp in the WMAs. He says that's led to other problems such as littering."

AGAIN WITH THE LITTERING! C'mon people, if you want to come here and work, at least have the decency to pick up after yourself. I truly believe that most natives of ND have no issue with the newcomers, but when there is a weekly story about littering or human waste disposal issues, it starts to turn the locals off to your plight. Personal responsibility, that's all that's needed to correct come of these issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:08 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,145,170 times
I agree NDP, there really is an element of "F" you involved w/ some of these folks, and the complete disregard for property and living spaces of those they have invaded. And they are not held accountable..... ....and we are just supposed to let them slide.....sorry. I am sick of the piggish behaviors of so many.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 PM

477 posts, read 1,505,232 times
There was a battery in the water by the shore at Springbrook, a car battery! Very disturbing on many different levels.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 PM

39 posts, read 141,712 times
I have a long pair of strong stainless steel cooking tongs that I use to clean up campgrounds. Using a strong set of long tongs means not bending over so much and they are great for digging bottle caps out of the mud etc. They also pick up broken glass very well, even small pieces. The stainless steel cleans really easily as well.

It doesn't take me long to thoroughly clean up a large area and I hope that when others pull into a camping area and notice that there is not one single piece of garbage to be seen that they will respect the area more.

Picking up garbage by hand is a pain but it is very easy using a long pair of stainless steel tongs. The cheaper kitchen size garbage bags are also a lot cheaper than using black trash bags and there is always a place to dispose of garbage not too far away.

Cleaning up is easy and a good sized area can be done in less than 15 minutes. Try and do this when other people will notice if possible to help set and example.

More than anything though I feel really good about leaving an area in as pristine condition as possible, and for a mere 10 plus minutes of easy work it's worth earning that great feeling.

Get a good pair of long stainless tongs, some cheap kitchen garbage bags and get that good feeling. I promise you that if you are a person that cares you will enjoy the short task and feel very good when you leave.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:27 AM

RigPig....It is appreciated! Wish there were more folks like you.
I can't get past the fact that for some other folk....the best way not to have to pick up your own garbage, is to just put it in the trash, if you don't throw it on the ground in the first place....You aren't having to pick it up. Duh.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:12 AM

Right on RigPig!

It's so simple really, if it came in with you, it should go out with you, or find it's way to the nearest garbage container. If more people had your attitude, we wouldn't be reading these articles about camping bans, because it wouldn't be an issue.

Old 04-28-2012, 02:52 PM

39 posts, read 141,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsk/Deutsch/Polska View Post

It's so simple really,
Yes, but some people just can't do what many of us consider simple things. The people that litter really are intellectually less fortunate than others. I used to think people were being a little malicious about littering, but they really just don't get it. The inside of some people's houses are really trashed so we may as well accept that they will behave the same when they travel.

The good news is that others before us did a lot of hard work to protect some of Americas nicest areas and provide all of us with so many wonderful National Parks, State Parks and recreation areas. People have done a lot of really good work designing shelters, bathrooms, campsites, trails, water supplies, bear proof storage and yes even user friendly garbage and recycling containers. All of this good work was not done to just to make money and there are a lot of volunteers that help in the parks for free to make a contribution.

I travel and hike a lot, and our parks are just so amazing and so enjoyable thanks to all the hard work that others have done.

People will always litter because they are not very intelligent and once you accept that you'll feel a little better.

You'll feel absolutely fantastic though when you stop to consider what so many others in the past have done for your benefit, and how good it feels just to grab a set of long tongs and a garbage bag and do your part to pay the way forward for others enjoyment, as others have done for us.

I wish I could help more people understand how good it feels to leave a place as clean as possible as it takes so little effort.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:55 PM

45 posts, read 86,137 times
I agree this is really sad. There is no excuse, but its important to remember that there are guys like rig pig and. myself and thus lumping all of us workers together is a hasty, inaccurate generalization. There are a bunch of good people who hate the trash (people, not litter) as much as the locals do.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:29 AM

Lokahi11 Agree....I post against those that are not the good stewards of N.D. land, rather the piggish folk that throw trash, dump garbage along roadsides, dump raw sewage where ever. The ones that do , or defend these things usually post ugly rhetorical comments.
I personally never mean to include all the "good folk".....

Old 04-29-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokahi117 View Post
I agree this is really sad. There is no excuse, but its important to remember that there are guys like rig pig and. myself and thus lumping all of us workers together is a hasty, inaccurate generalization. There are a bunch of good people who hate the trash (people, not litter) as much as the locals do.
I understand your point completely, and I agree - but let me throw this out there:

Anytime something like in this case, the litter issue, or in the case of Williston changing some policies at it's community center due to constant messes in the bathrooms and human feces found in the hallway ( and in the showers) is pointed out or brought up in the media or posted on forums such as this, pretty soon some people think that the person who posted the info and commented on it, is down on every oil field worker in the state.

Not the case, at least not in my case. I'm not looking at every oil field worker and thinking they are all slobs, but it only takes one or two people to ruin it for everyone, and in the case of what has been happening to the western part of ND, it's very obvious that there are more than one or two people with some issues when it comes to littering and cleaning up after themselves in a camping area or in a public restroom - and it's a dang shame.

I greatly appreciate those who come here and have respect for the laws we have in place and for being good stewards of the places in which they are staying, it's too bad that everyone doesn't take it upon themselves to do the same, locals and transplants alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota