Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 7,344 times

Advertisements

So maybe I spent a little too much time hoping the economy would turn around in the Chicago area. It's not happening. I heard many media reports of job opportunities in North Dakota, but that was many months ago. Does anyone know if they are still seeking workers up there and what jobs are in the greatest demand?

I am a military veteran with a bachelors degree in business and I would just love an opportunity to work a decent job with a fair wage. I don't want to believe the American Dream is dead, but I am also skeptical about jumping in my car and driving a thousand miles for a pipe dream.

Does anyone know if the demand for jobs is still high in this region? and what advice can you provide for someone, so it does not take me weeks or months to find work?

I thought about contacting corporate recruiters in the area, but then again, I don't see any reason why they would waste time talking to me if they had a hundred qualified applicants outside there door everyday waiting for the same job.

Honestly, I just want the no BS assessment of whether there are jobs out there and what I should do to find work, so I am not wasting time when I get out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 07:47 PM

54 posts, read 114,263 times
read all and every post \ yes there is jobs and yes there is alot of pepole trying for these jobs.
Do your reserch get a game plan and go for the american dream.
And yes housing can be hard to come by most are living in trailers in r.v. sites again read all the posts and you and you will get all your answers if not just ask and someone will try to help good luck.

A

Old 05-02-2012, 12:52 AM

746 posts, read 1,724,343 times
Specifically, what type of job do you want? Logistics or retail is just exploding up there, but you need housing in the oil field regions. Check jobsnd.com. Fargo's unfilled jobs numbers are even more than Williston's.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:11 PM

18,700 posts, read 41,923,618 times
Have you read any of the threads? A lot of questions have been answered.

Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 PM

394 posts, read 1,166,204 times
Jobs everywhere in N.D. I am 300 miles from Williston (Jamestown), and there are jobs to be had. Wages are not nearly as high as Williston, but neither is the cost of living.

I know there is a shortage of welders and fabricators just about everywhere in the state. Same goes with just about every other skilled profession.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 33,394 times
It is a little hard to believe that they are having trouble finding people at that pay considering how bad the unemployment situation is in the rest of their country...even if moving there means living in your car!

Is there room for young people without a lot of experience but a degree? I am reading that there is a lot of demand for things like welders, trucker drivers, logistics, etc. Is it possible to get these kinds of jobs without experience, and are there other jobs that might be available?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 05-08-2012 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: Removed quote

Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 AM

231 posts, read 871,109 times
Fargo is begging for skilled workers. There are signs up all over town.

You can even live in your car if you want to.

Old 05-09-2012, 08:38 AM

105 posts, read 447,942 times
I hire around 5 guys a month just to keep up with our continued growth. I am quite particular in who I hire but still have to fill the demand at the same time. With the growth I see around me I can not imagine other companies not hiring as well.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,142,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsykoKustomz View Post
I hire around 5 guys a month just to keep up with our continued growth. I am quite particular in who I hire but still have to fill the demand at the same time. With the growth I see around me I can not imagine other companies not hiring as well.
Hire who? For instance, I have a bachelors and 7 years of experience in business administrative type jobs (financial analysis and real estate). Are jobs like that available for people like me, or people like me without the experience (new grads)?? I have heard about this boom for a while now (being a MN resident, word got around pretty early) as well as the ridiculously high-paying jobs, but not until recently have I had any interest in relocating, but always want to consider the options...

Old 05-09-2012, 09:55 AM

105 posts, read 447,942 times
I hire mainly for field level positions. The type of people that I look for to fill these roles have mechanical experience and are use to working with their hands. Need to be able to work a 13 hour tower and deal with the outside elements. I have my support staff pretty well set as we speak, however as there is growth there is always need for more office level support. This comes in the form of coordinators/ administrators/ sales/ etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota