Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 4,747 times

Advertisements

My husband has family in Minot (like...a lot of family). We have been considering moving to Minot for some time (mostly due to his sister wanting us to). Now we have basically made the decision to do so. With us already having family there (aka, someone to stay with until my husband found a job and we found housing), would you pick up and go right away? My husband currently works a factory job, so he is familiar with long shifts. He would also be willing to take a "regular" job while he waits to find an oil job.

We were thinking of waiting until Sept to move, but would moving sooner be better? This might sound silly, but I have only ever experienced weather in Southern states so I like the idea of having plenty of time to get settled before the cold comes. (My husband is used to ND weather).

I have read *many* of the threads here and found them helpful. What a wealth of information!

Oh, and we would be moving from MS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 12:47 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbice View Post
My husband has family in Minot (like...a lot of family). We have been considering moving to Minot for some time (mostly due to his sister wanting us to). Now we have basically made the decision to do so. With us already having family there (aka, someone to stay with until my husband found a job and we found housing), would you pick up and go right away? My husband currently works a factory job, so he is familiar with long shifts. He would also be willing to take a "regular" job while he waits to find an oil job.

We were thinking of waiting until Sept to move, but would moving sooner be better? This might sound silly, but I have only ever experienced weather in Southern states so I like the idea of having plenty of time to get settled before the cold comes. (My husband is used to ND weather).

I have read *many* of the threads here and found them helpful. What a wealth of information!

My wife has family in Minot too, lots of them. In my opinion, if you have a place to stay (as you do with family) then I see no reason to wait. This time of the year is a big hiring time for construction type jobs, etc. On the other hand if you feel you need to have more savings built up, then wait a bit. I would use your husband's connections greatly as in many areas up here a lot of things are known by word of mouth, or I know someone who knows someone.

September is a nice month weather wise usually with mild days and cool nights and even it you wait til then you would still have time to acclimate.

Dan

Old 05-12-2012, 04:13 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
If it were me, knowing what I know about the income potential, I would high tail it up here if I had family willing to house me.
You would have some time to acclimate too.

The earning potential is really above normal. You will need a bit of time to sort things out, so while you do your Husband should be applying online to various oil field jobs. I would recommend reading sveral of the job related threads to get an idea of the names of companies etc. But, seriously, by September all the folks that waitied last fall will be here soon, and September you might be more behind the ball then you are already. This is just my opinion.
Here is a thread that has some company names COMMUNITY JOB Links, Websites & resources:Add your's as you discover new resources... ( 1 2 3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbice View Post

Last edited by JanND; 05-12-2012 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,747 times
We just got a job lined up with a friend of the family, starting at $18/hr in an electric company. They give raises every six months, and pay for them to go through school. So we at least have that lined up already and my husband can see how he likes it. The hours would also be a bit easier than the rigs (we have a toddler, so having daddy home would be nice). Looks like we will be moving in about 4-5 weeks! EEKKK! I am scared and excited.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
You will be fine. You have the best help available an eager Sister N Law It may be hard to adjust at first...I moved 30+ yrs ago to N.D. w/ my ND hubby whom I had met and married in Calif. It is doable.
The hardest part is N.D. isn't like normal cause of the flood last summer in Minot and the oil boom. But, ND folks are great....you know that, you married one Good luck to you...and many Blessings, Jan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota