U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 05-20-2012, 02:38 PM

156 posts, read 160,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjchris66 View Post
I appreciate all the advice and information you all have given me. We made a (very) quick trip to Bismarck and decided it was not for us. Most people were quite friendly. The culture shock was extreme. I admire rural north dakota, it has great natural beauty and the rugged, desert landscape is shockingly different from the sycamores and pawpaws of nebraska.
There is no desert here...deserts have sand.

Unread 05-21-2012, 07:51 AM

449 posts, read 414,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjchris66 View Post
I appreciate all the advice and information you all have given me. We made a (very) quick trip to Bismarck and decided it was not for us. Most people were quite friendly. The culture shock was extreme. I admire rural north dakota, it has great natural beauty and the rugged, desert landscape is shockingly different from the sycamores and pawpaws of nebraska.
Glad you decided to check out North Dakota before you took the plunge.

I do have a question about the 'extreme culture shock' - I guess in my opinion, I understand 'culture shock' to mean having to adapt to an extreme change in climate, no availability of foods you are accustomed to, locals speaking a foreign language, use of a different form of currency, etc, not necessarily the particular landscape of a one state vs. another state.

We are friendly though, glad you got that impression, because that is how it is here, it's actually got a name: "North Dakota Nice" .

Unread 05-21-2012, 09:57 AM

2,051 posts, read 2,472,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naelbis View Post
There is no desert here...deserts have sand.
And there aren't "sycamores and pawpaws" in Nebraska, either...

Unread 05-21-2012, 11:20 AM

449 posts, read 414,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
That's an odd statement to make, considering that according to this book, both those trees are native to Nebraska.

Handbook of Nebraska trees: a guide to the native and most important ... - Raymond John Pool - Google Books

Unread 05-21-2012, 12:09 PM

If the pawpaw or sycamore is native to Nebraska, it's only clear down in the very southeast corner... Omaha would be too far north for either to be considered a "local" tree.

Edited to add:

Nebraska Game and Parks Commission - NEBRASKAland Magazine - Indian Cave
Quote:
As one travels from southeastern to northeastern Nebraska, the forest community found in the Missouri River bluffs becomes less complex as eastern and southern species reach the limits of their range. Black, white, blackjack and Chinquapin oak, shellbark and bitternut hickory, sycamore, black cherry, redbud, pawpaw, bladdernut, prickly ash, June-berry and high-bush blackberry are found at Indian Cave, some trees towering 80 feet tall and forming a dense canopy, which by June sunlight cannot penetrate.
Travel north and by the time you reach Omaha, many of these species have vanished.
Both species would have to be fairly protected to be happy in Omaha.

Unread 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM

109 posts, read 110,400 times

Quote:
If the pawpaw or sycamore is native to Nebraska, it's only clear down in the very southeast corner... Omaha would be too far north for either to be considered a "local" tree.
19 seconds on google and a glance out my window proved you wrong.

Ever been to/east of Grand Island? Sycamores everywhere. There's a sycamore street in the island. I lived most of my life in Central/East Nebraska. Saying we don't have either of those trees is like calling florida "arid". Are you trying to convince these north dakotans that our state looks like theirs? It doesn't. The sycamore is absolutely one of the most common trees in the state, right beside the cottonwood and elm. Are we talking about the same state?

Unread 05-21-2012, 12:24 PM

5 posts, read 7,084 times
Quote:

wtf...what planet are you from. If you have never seen thousands of these in nebraska, i doubt you even live here.

http://www.nfs.unl.edu/CommunityFore...s/Sycamore.pdf

"American sycamore is native in 36 states
including Nebraska. You can go to just
about any eastern Nebraska community and
find at least a few larger sycamore trees"

Unread 05-21-2012, 12:48 PM

I have no doubt there are a bunch. People have been planting trees in Nebraska for a hundred+ years, including non-natives. Like I said, if protected they're happy. But the sycamore's range is here: The Natural Range of Sycamore
You'll note, Nebraska barely even makes the map.

And more importantly, the statement included pawpaws. You wanna tell me how many pawpaws you have?

For as much interest as my statement has generated, I was simply agreeing with Naelbis that it was an odd comment...

Unread 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM

16,838 posts, read 19,579,793 times
The OP has said that they are not moving.

Thread Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota