Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 AM

14 posts, read 27,632 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,been following this forum for some days now. I'm currently resident in California and will be flying into Williston in the next few days. Thing is i don't have a vehicle, or the money needed to rent a vehicle. In fact, i don't have any significant amount of money at all. I'll be staying at one of the hotels for a week, after which i hope to have found a job good enough to ensure i'm able to secure a much cheaper housing alternative.
My question is how hard is it moving around Williston without a vehicle? And how is the transportation service over there. Are the buses regular? Are there any buses at all, taxis?
Also, i was considering moving to someplace besides Williston. Where would anyone recommend that has good transportation system and jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 AM

746 posts, read 1,728,571 times
How can you afford to fly into Williston? Fares into Williston are astronomical. Take a bus to Billings or Bismarck and buy a clunker.

A vehicle is simply a must for Williston, unless you get a job that offers a mancamp bunk.

Minot, Bismarck, Fargo, and Grand Forks ofer bus service.

Old 06-03-2012, 10:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
You will be in trouble in Williston or any of the oil boom towns w/out subsistence money to tide you over until you find a job....plus remember some jobs pay after you work a couple weeks or more...how will you eat. And, without a vehicle you are really in trouble there is no public transportation in the oil field towns. There is sometimes buses that will bring mancamp folks to and from....but you would have to have a job that has a mancamp that provides that service. Do not consider flying in w/out money to fly back out. There are homeless types w/out jobs that are real trouble makers....you do not want to be vulnerable by yourself in any boom town. And make sure you know what the hotels are charging....there are no cheap hotels. Read the thread you posted in....this kid really understood what he needed to do to survive til he got a job and a first paycheck....Think about this...I know folks in Cali think...oh no biggie cause your sort of used to looking out for the bad sort of folks(I am from there)....but this boom has some real bad situations going on that you cannot prepare for if you are living on the street here cause you don't have a car or housing. It is not safe imo for male or female especially if you are alone w/out funds.
Unless you already have some job offers look at a better area of N.D. Fargo, and still no guarantee...Housing is not cheap anywhere in N.D.
Also, there is plenty of oil work in Texas, much closer to home for you and weather etc. Why aren't you researching that area?? REad this thread, especially the posts by RockfordNativeNowSeattle He gives excellant advice..How to get a job in north dakota oil fields He has a few threads, some really wise suggestions and information form this young man....read it please....make sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy05 View Post
Hi everybody,been following this forum for some days now. I'm currently resident in California and will be flying into Williston in the next few days. Thing is i don't have a vehicle, or the money needed to rent a vehicle. In fact, i don't have any significant amount of money at all. I'll be staying at one of the hotels for a week, after which i hope to have found a job good enough to ensure i'm able to secure a much cheaper housing alternative.
My question is how hard is it moving around Williston without a vehicle? And how is the transportation service over there. Are the buses regular? Are there any buses at all, taxis?

Also, i was considering moving to someplace besides Williston. Where would anyone recommend that has good transportation system and jobs.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:03 PM

159 posts, read 350,851 times
That sounds like me Im flying to LA got enough for a hotel for a week an not much more will be looking to get a job that week as a movie STAR in Hollywood so I can make it from there on out. Been homeless in Hollywood it aint no Joke. Packed a bag caught the greyhound out to the Midwest 20 years ago and started from scratch. with a couple hundred in my pocket. Doing much better now. Where did U find a hotel in Williston? and how much are they charging if u dont mind me asking?. I priced the flights from there already about a month ago cause i will fly to cali now and then from williston to visit family and friends. close to 6 Bills for round trip. You could end up S>O>L in a hurry up there unless u have some financial back up. Just keep a good escape plan incase all else fails. Minneapolis

Old 06-03-2012, 08:08 PM

AHHH you have a round trip ticket

Old 06-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Wiseguy05...Don't get Us wrong, we wish you the best. It is just that folks are coming w/out preparation in many cases. There isn't even a mission in Williston for those folks that fall on hard times, so just be very prepared, even if it means waiting a couple mths. Applying online initially works for many folks, than make your trip out for interviews...or listen to the advise of the folks that have done similar to what you propose. One question that I have for some of the folks already living in mancamps...What are most of your paying for your accommodations?? I've heard some real high prices....but have never had them confirmed. Anyone know?

Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 PM

I believe ive heard around a couple hundred to a little less a day. But the company your with is going to make the difference on what You would pay out of pocket. Ive seen a couple lady drivers on Youtube say they pay $600.00 a month, and have seen job offers on craigslist state less to none.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 AM

14 posts, read 27,632 times
Thanks for the advice JanND, fourwinds and Jefferyz. You've really made me rethink my plan. I haven't bought my plane ticket, and after reading all you guys wrote, it made me revise my whole plan. I've decided i am going to drive out to Williston. Took my car to the shop the 2 days ago in order to get it in tip top condition since a vehicle is a must and i most certainly can't afford it breaking down on me. Admittedly, that did considerable damage to my limited funds but ey without risk there's no reward.
Ok and about the question of how much i paid for hotel. The price of the motelroom i booked, which i'm bout to call and cancel, was $200 for a night. Not 200 exactly but very close to it. And the name is Candlewood suites.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:08 PM

231 posts, read 872,841 times
If I was driving from California, I'd map places to apply along the way. There is oil activity in New Mexico, Wyoming, and Montana that might be hiring people without much experience and that might have a better chance at housing.

If you don't find anything in the oilfields, there are a lot of places in Bismarck and Fargo that are probably looking for laborers. The industrial park here in Fargo has signs up on every building that they are hiring for all positions. A studio apartment here in Fargo is just a couple hundred a month to get you started.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:45 PM

You have made the wise decision. Tundra Dweller is right, check out other areas on the way....Research companies list I sent you...many are based in other states. You may find a better job. There are folks on here, scorpio125 and a couple others that know what churches let you park. Someone else may have some suggestions too. Minot has lots of construction jobs, CalFrac.as a Frac Tech..check w/ rickydink63 on that. Be safe....Jan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy05 View Post
Thanks for the advice JanND, fourwinds and Jefferyz. You've really made me rethink my plan. I haven't bought my plane ticket, and after reading all you guys wrote, it made me revise my whole plan. I've decided i am going to drive out to Williston. Took my car to the shop the 2 days ago in order to get it in tip top condition since a vehicle is a must and i most certainly can't afford it breaking down on me. Admittedly, that did considerable damage to my limited funds but ey without risk there's no reward.
Ok and about the question of how much i paid for hotel. The price of the motelroom i booked, which i'm bout to call and cancel, was $200 for a night. Not 200 exactly but very close to it. And the name is Candlewood suites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota