Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2012, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,354 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

So I'm heading to the Bakken looking for a job and have a few questions before I go. I've been lurking on here, reading various forums so hopefully these questions don't sound redundant. I'm 25, live in Minnesota, no real commitments to hold me back like mortgage, wife and kids etc. Have my Bachelors in Information Systems, but no job experience relating to that field. I'm working a low paying job now, but am drowning in student loan debt. I figure why not head to the Bakken..? I would be looking for any type of job, that pays well and can work a lot of OT, IT related or not (non-CDL). I work labor right now year round in MN, so I'm physically capable. I've been applying on jobsnd, ND craigslist, employers websites and other job boards for months with zero luck. I figure if you're not living in that area they just toss it aside.

I have a week off my work coming up and will be planning on driving out to try to find a job. If I can find one, I'll drive back to MN, put my 2 weeks in, pack and go. My main questions is to see if this a good idea? Would you do this or would you recommend quitting my current job, packing and just driving to the Bakken?

I'll be looking for jobs with housing provided, but I'm assuming they are very competitive and hard to come by, so I'll be living out of my car until I can save up enough for a camper. Is living out of cars or trucks common there? Are the RV/camper parks overrun and full? Any recommended spots to park the car and sleep, besides Walmart? Also I have a ton of hiking/camping gear so I wouldn't mind living in a tent for the summer. Are primitive camping sites common, overrun etc?

I've seen a few job openings in Bowman ND. Would it be worth driving down there to find a job with my limited time?

I'll be in ND for about 5 nights, what itinerary would you recommend?(Williston for 2 nights, watford for 1, don't go to new town...just wing it..etc)

My plan is pretty basic...drive to recommended towns, find openings online before I leave, get addresses, then go in person. Any other recommended ways? Are most of the oil company's offices in town or are they outside of town hard to find? I'm trying to get a plan and some sort of bearing to prepare myself for the trip, so any tips would be great.

People have mentioned most IT is in Fargo. As someone who is entry level IT, pay wont be nearly as good as a laborer working OT in the bakken. That being said, are there any positions that will make me more competitive than the next guy with this degree? I figure it's close to useless when applying to oil jobs, but just checking...people have mentioned Hydraulic Frac companys. Is this true? Anyone know from first hand experience?

Thanks for reading and responding. Any other tips or ideas to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 06:57 PM

159 posts, read 350,909 times
Also from MN, I will be heading up there in about a month or so would have like to have been up there a couple months ago but have to take care of finacial matters here in the cities first. First off everyone speaks of Williston as it were the main hub but as U know there are plenty other areas operating the Fracing Biz. in williston they are outlawing sleeping around town in any fashion but i believe that just pertains to the city limits. Sorry to here youve been getting shot down with all your efforts, Maybe this can help try contacting SOS staffing and looking on there site up in ND,they post some of there job openings online. And are also a way to make little extra cash in your spare time up there. You may find something to put your IT skills to use thru them also, As well as Bakken staffing. whos name pretty much speaks for it self. Both of these agencies are working hand in hand with the oil industry up there. Just remember that all staffing agents are taught to sugar coat things an dont nessessarily keep U well informed. And if u get a gig with an oil outfit thru a staffing agency try and make sure before u start day one that they do not have a long standing commitment contract with that company stating they cant hire u until u have put in X amount of time thru the staffing agency first. A week or two is fine but i have seen them up to 4 to 6 months. meaning there getting part of your hard earned pay. Hitting the parking lots up there with the others sleeping in there vehicles who have been up there should be a wealth of info. But always check Craigslist that way you get straight access to the employer. And dont forget your fishing rods. Good Luck hope somthing helps .NEXT

Last edited by Jefferyz; 06-03-2012 at 07:06 PM..

Old 06-03-2012, 07:08 PM

159 posts, read 350,909 times
OH also if you havnt already check out finding work in the ND oil fields on Youtube

Old 06-05-2012, 06:47 PM

14 posts, read 30,607 times
Skip watford city there's not a whole lot going on there. Your best bet will be Williston there are tons of jobs there just no place to stay. I've seen a lot of people camping out in tents and cars so it can be done. Just don't tell any employer your doing that give them a line of bs if you need to as they would rather hire someone that has a place to live. You don't need to lie to them just bend the truth a little lol. This wouldn't be the best way to do it but it sounds like you read my thread so just be prepared to tough it out for a while and make a back up plan and you should be alright.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota