Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:17 AM

113 posts, read 230,802 times

Advertisements

Post up what you hear and see......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 10:38 AM

159 posts, read 350,922 times
Glad to see You made it up there without a Deer incident or car failure. Those montains can be ruff on vehicles. So can you tell me how was the road that cut over out of Idaho thru Yellowstone? were there any bad mountains or was it pretty smooth all an all.? And did you see any cool critters like a Buffalo,Elk or a wolf, ETC... I know some day I will be going thru there and am a liitle curious. So now that your there do you see many signs posted for oil jobs around . From videos and Tv weve seen plenty Help Wanted for retail, an Food industry But I think most following your journey are interested in Black Gold or the OIL BIZ> HELP WANTED. I myself have been flopping like a fish out of water to get up there. Wanted to be up there about 3 months ago but am trapped for about another month or so before I can make my Move . Financial matters. I was Hired on a North Dakota **** project in Devils lake ND in June 2010 But part of the work was on the Indian RES. and they were saying that you would have to give some of them jobs with your company if you wanted to work on the Res. So the guy that hired me, backed out of the whole deal for the time being. It was Fed job which stated we had to be payed Fed wage,which was $28.00 an hr plus OT after 40hrs. OH well had bills and a illness that need to be taken care of and found a good job here in the Twin cities where I live, Turns out it was for Bob Cat which is in Gwinner North Dakota delivering there new Equip. all over the country. I picked the New England states for my route Boston,New york, Ct.etc... Every week from either MN or ND I would run to east coast and back. Now am looking to drive a lot less miles and and sleep in a bed every night. And Bump the pay up a notch from 50,000 a year to ND Oil Pay. Have been out of work for a year now fixing the Illness , Cured and all ready to GO Are there many others hanging around looking for work? And how is it on finding a place to crash for the night. I have some ideas on where to go but dont want to ruin them before I come up. Plus I figure many can figure them out on there own. If you get real bored buy a cheap fishing rod an some worms, Im bringing my own, Wont be bored one bit till I find a job with the right fit for me. Good Luck, Your the eyes and ears for now

Old 06-14-2012, 09:13 AM

Didnt mean to scare U off

Old 06-14-2012, 11:55 AM

14 posts, read 27,635 times
Hahahaha Jefferyz! You didn't scare me off. Not at all. Been very busy with this job search. Was having a conversation with this guy i met 2 days ago, and he was saying how the media overhyped the oil boom. Afraid i have to agree with him. Don't get me wrong, there are jobs here. Plentiful infact. However, there are also literally hundreds of people looking to get into those jobs right now. Another thing i realized when i got here, was that a lot of the oilfield jobs need some sort of experience right now or/and a cdl. That could have been avoided on my part if i had done enough reserch. I did do research, just not nearly as enough as i should have.... Can't think of any more to write at the moment. If i do think up something else, i'll drop by here later.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:27 PM

So whats new Cali havnt heard from you for a few days? Are things looking up ? Did U find some day work?

Old 06-17-2012, 02:23 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,497,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiseguy05 View Post
So i have finally began my journey to North Dakota. Left California yesterday.

I wish I could do the same!

This California is a joke!

Old 06-17-2012, 02:55 PM

I dont know if you were born and raised like I was but yes Cali has definetly taken a turn for the worse. I left 20 years ago to the midwest, to many people to much Traffic,to many laws, Not enough Jobs,on an on on. I see your in OC, used to live on the beach down there in HB and Surfside,and used to build McGregger Yachts down in Newport Beach many years ago. Plan it out and Jump Ship

Old 06-17-2012, 02:59 PM

112 posts, read 381,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferyz View Post
Plan it out and Jump Ship
I moved from South Dakota to California in 1988 ......currently trying to figure out how to escape before it is to late! It is no longer the "Golden State"

Old 06-17-2012, 03:02 PM

So True

Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 PM

114 posts, read 355,543 times
wiseguy 05,

How are things going, I am mostly on the Williston post reading and have just got caught up with your posts,
Billings is my original home town, I have heard from friends that they are getting benefits from the oil boom,
quite a few jobs and it is east of Billings where housing starts to go up and up, so housing in Blgs is not as high
as in the oil hubs, but the wages won't be oil field wages either.

Williston bed to sleep in is hard to come by, post when you can, let us know how it is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota