Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:50 AM

752 posts, read 2,086,640 times

Advertisements

As I have heard, North Dakota has the nation's lowest unemployment rate. I'm wondering if the horrendous economy has affected ND and am hearing about a city Aberdeen, that is doing well, or rather was. I'm sick of dealing with the slim pickings where I live and am open to relocating. I also like that North Dakota is very WASP and Swedish/German?Norwegian and that has always appealed to me. I understand that the winters can get pretty harsh. That being said however, I am so sick of being under-employed/unemployed that I would be willing to try anything. Could I hear from some people who undrstand or have some knowlege of it? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 11:59 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
As I have heard, North Dakota has the nation's lowest unemployment rate. I'm wondering if the horrendous economy has affected ND and am hearing about a city Aberdeen, that is doing well, or rather was. I'm sick of dealing with the slim pickings where I live and am open to relocating. I also like that North Dakota is very WASP and Swedish/German?Norwegian and that has always appealed to me. I understand that the winters can get pretty harsh. That being said however, I am so sick of being under-employed/unemployed that I would be willing to try anything. Could I hear from some people who undrstand or have some knowlege of it? Thanks
Might want to re-post in the main North Dakota forum page sometimes the local city ones are not read as much... There are many folks who post in the main ND one who know a lot and can answer it better than me. I live in Grand Forks.

I would say GF is not in the oil area nor is Fargo. Both have opportunities....always seem short in the trades, such as electrician, plumbing, etc here locally.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:36 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times
Most of the threads here and in the sub-Williston forum are about relocations to the Williston area.

What are your skills?

Aberdeen's economy is decent, but you won't find many higher paying jobs there. A lot pre-built homes are assembled there and shipped to the patch.

Most of the state of North Dakota has jobs open: not just Williston. The problem with Williston and most of the towns nearby are that there isn't much housing. Housing is going up very fast but then fills immediately. Rents are outrageous in Williston and Minot (and points in between and north and south).

Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 AM

159 posts, read 350,922 times
Yea even the WASPS got no place to go. Isnt Aberdeen in the State Below North Dakota

Old 06-09-2012, 10:30 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
It depends on what kind of job you're looking for. I'm under the impression that the job market is very good if you have a skilled blue collar trade. However, the state is not exactly chock-full of college-education-requiring white collar jobs. Also, white collar jobs anywhere are always very competitive since desperate college grads from the across the country will go anywhere to work in their fields. Retail service type jobs are abundant in the larger cities, but they pay low wages like retail service jobs everywhere else.

As other posters mentioned, housing is a huge issue. It's not how much gross pay you receive, but how much pay you have left over after you pay for housing. So, for example, you might be able to earn $70,000/year before taxes in the oil patch, but it could cost you $30,000/year after taxes for a crappy two bedroom apartment ($2500/month).

Old 06-15-2012, 09:11 PM

161 posts, read 278,544 times
So trade jobs like electricians are more available? Or am I misreading your post Danin?

Old 06-17-2012, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPrincess View Post
So trade jobs like electricians are more available? Or am I misreading your post Danin?
Hi that is just my impression living in the red river valley. The Grand Forks area is far removed from the oil patch....but there always seem to be a demand for qualified electricians and other trades in the major cities in the east. (i.e. Fargo, Jamestown, Devils Lake, etc) I would say the same holds true for all of the state.....

But that is my impression, and I am not in that field so dont have facts...

Dan

Old 06-18-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Hi that is just my impression living in the red river valley. The Grand Forks area is far removed from the oil patch....but there always seem to be a demand for qualified electricians and other trades in the major cities in the east. (i.e. Fargo, Jamestown, Devils Lake, etc) I would say the same holds true for all of the state.....

But that is my impression, and I am not in that field so dont have facts...

Dan
I think this is great, Husband is looking for electrical work that is NOT related to the drilling. I did a quick search for Fargo and found a fair number of jobs in his field. We might be able to get out of Michigan yet!

Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowPrincess View Post
I think this is great, Husband is looking for electrical work that is NOT related to the drilling. I did a quick search for Fargo and found a fair number of jobs in his field. We might be able to get out of Michigan yet!
sounds great...if you dont want oil field work then definitely stay east....Fargo being a larger city would have more jobs...but also Bismarck and Grand Forks are good. Bismarck has been growing a lot in the last 10 years and is a nice place. Minot and Williston have severe housing issues and until they are settled out more relocating there not in the oil business is not recommended.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
sounds great...if you dont want oil field work then definitely stay east....Fargo being a larger city would have more jobs...but also Bismarck and Grand Forks are good. Bismarck has been growing a lot in the last 10 years and is a nice place. Minot and Williston have severe housing issues and until they are settled out more relocating there not in the oil business is not recommended.
Thanks for the tips. Do you have any insight into the schools ND vs MN? We have a son with very mild special needs and have heard good things about MN schools but nothing on ND. With Fargo being on the state line we could live on either side (obviously)

Ignore the question about schools, probably not a cool question to ask on the ND forum. Sorry. Just going to leave the post as is though, as to hopefully not cause drama.

Last edited by SnowPrincess; 06-18-2012 at 09:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota