U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM

1 posts, read 4,292 times
Default We're moving to ND!

I accidently ran across this site because of a story that Californians were leaving their state in packs. I noticed the charts, and saw Michigan was 49th. (That's where I live.) But to my surprise, ND was 50th! (That's the state our family is moving to!)

So before taking this giant risk, I thought I'd better investigate.

First of all, the rankings were by percentage. Since ND has fewer residents, one person leaving is about 100(?) Californians. But in the grand scheme of things, one person leaving ND means very little.

Second, the drop in population is due to illegal immigration control. For that, I congratulate the state government of ND!

So our move is still on. I was shocked by the Fargo Forum. I've NEVER seen so many job listings in all of my life! On the very first page, there were at least a half dozen jobs which I qualified for!

We love cold! We love winter! And we can't stand the heat! Who wants to grow old in Florida....better known as "God's waiting room!"

The Chamber of Fargo-Moorhead has been wonderful in helping us move my business up there, and helping get my wife's nursing license transferred. The ham radio club in Fargo has been great, giving me all kinds of information and inviting us to their state convention in April. (We plan on coming.)

To be honest, we were actually joking about moving to Fargo a few years back. Then one night at the dinner table, when I "joked" about it again, my wife spoke up and said; "You know, I've been doing some investigating into Fargo. And it looks like a nice place to live." I was speechless, because I had been doing the same thing! So we started sharing notes, contacting the Chamber and finally made our decision.

We live out in the country here in Michigan. Crime is out of control as the unemployment rate is the highest in the nation, Michigan's foreclosures lead the nation and meth labs are the #1 industry. We live in a little village of 350 souls and our family car has been stolen, another broken into, our house broken into, drug houses all around us and the cops look the other way. Our family has been involved in five auto accidents this year (not our fault/three of them rear end collisions) because people drive crazy thanks to "no fault insurance". One of the drivers involved in one of our accidents admitted to drinking and being on drugs....but the cop just gave him a ticket as a "professional courtesy". This driver slammed into the back of my truck (totaling it....) while stopped at a red light. However, since this driver was a fellow law enforcement officer, he was given a "free pass".

Good-bye Michigan and hello North Dakota! We love it up there! Beautiful country!

Billy Bob Horton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 04:03 PM

13,496 posts, read 24,554,591 times
Billy, how wonderful that you like No. Dak. and are relocating there. Good luck to you and your family AND welcome to the forum.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:20 PM

56 posts, read 49,449 times
North Dakota might be boring, but some people like it that way. If people wanted to live in a fast-moving city, they would move to NYC or somewhere.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:23 PM

12 posts, read 53,073 times
Well ALL the outdoor activities and a ton of other things. What do "you" consider fun is the question? I was asking that same question when I was in highschool years back. Now I realized that, well, I was young and looking for like night clubs and stuff. Now that does not matter to me one bit. There is everything else you can think of in regards to activities here.

Billy thats great that your moving here. Living in this world shouldn't involve crime. MOVE out of there! Fargo is great.

Let me know if you have any questions. Job wise you can check out redriverads.com or jobshq.net.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM

8 posts, read 24,972 times
Almost every small town has an annual festival of some type. Most have outdoor music, crafts, stuff to buy and great food. I love quilting, so I like to visit anything fiber arts. Lots of museums in ND, and then check out the entire west part of the state, find tons of historical and cultural events. At the highway entries to every state I have travelled to there are these road side travel and information bureaus with literally tons of brochures with upcoming events. Pick up a few and reserve a room at some bed and breakfast somewhere and treat yourself to a "mini-vacation" every month, see and explore whatever that town has.
I have lived in lots of places as a young person and our family did these weekend trips to all the local attractions, 25-200 miles from homebase and really had a lot of fun.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,346 times
When this person talk about fun, why don't you stat in Minneapolis-St. Paul area or move to TX? Houston or DFW area? You can spend all night in the night clubs and eating unhealthy food there.

You should know that ND is designated for those who want to live and raise a healthy family. I really don't know what people want in life. IF you don't like it, please leave us alone. I have lived in a major US cities, and people in these cities know know nothing other than criminal behaviors, self- centered, uncaring, individualism, drugs and prostitution just to name few. If you felt you can get that in our state, please pack your bags and leave us alone. I am seek and tired of such criticism. We are enjoying a nice year round non- polluted environment, good school and health care system where our people live for the sake of others. Our state and local gov. does not exist just to collect a paycheck or teachers have to fight with kids because of luck of parental education and our ministers are not scrutinized by self imposed liberal groups. Please leave us alone, we shall take tare of our selves.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:38 PM

469 posts, read 761,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonianwoman View Post
When this person talk about fun, why don't you stat in Minneapolis-St. Paul area or move to TX? Houston or DFW area? You can spend all night in the night clubs and eating unhealthy food there.

You should know that ND is designated for those who want to live and raise a healthy family. I really don't know what people want in life. IF you don't like it, please leave us alone. I have lived in a major US cities, and people in these cities know know nothing other than criminal behaviors, self- centered, uncaring, individualism, drugs and prostitution just to name few. If you felt you can get that in our state, please pack your bags and leave us alone. I am seek and tired of such criticism. We are enjoying a nice year round non- polluted environment, good school and health care system where our people live for the sake of others. Our state and local gov. does not exist just to collect a paycheck or teachers have to fight with kids because of luck of parental education and our ministers are not scrutinized by self imposed liberal groups. Please leave us alone, we shall take tare of our selves.

I have lived in large cities before: Dallas, Houston, San Diego and have visited several others such as L.A and I can assure you I am not a criminal nor am I a prostitute. Contrary to apparently popular belief, there are normal people who live in those places that enjoy them. God forbid someone enjoy a place with things to do! I enjoy the culture, the art museums, the festivals, the beaches, the night clubs, the malls, the many different restaurants, the quaint downstore shops..all of these things are nice to have around and I haven't seen too many of these things in Minot. Then again, I did not move here out of choice so I don't really have good things to say about it here. But I can assure you, as well, that the parents and children are no different than any other state. I work with at risk children at the Dakota Boys and Girls Ranch and all those children are from North Dakota and there is QUITE a waiting list. I'm not trying to be rude but North Dakota is far from perfect and if you don't like big cities, fine, but don't assume because they are big cities, they are all bad and everyone living there are self-absorbed crack heads who peddle out favors on a street corner. I have never once seen a prostitute in the big cities I went to so I'm not even sure where you were.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:08 PM

231 posts, read 453,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonianwoman View Post
people in these cities know know nothing other than... self- centered, ... individualism[.]
What country do you think this is? Have you read the constitution or any of the other founding documents? This country is built on the principles of individuality and personal responsibility, the polar opposite of Christianity' superstitious dogmas.
Quote:
...where our people live for the sake of others.
Tribalism is your preference? You'd like the tribe to use your body as it sees fit? You wouldn't mind being sacrificed when there is a bad crop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by etjaipleure View Post
I can assure you I am not a criminal nor am I a prostitute.
I don't mean to offend, but the last thing criminals will do is broadcast their unlawful intentions.
(I am not a crook) ≠ innocent

Quote:
Contrary to apparently popular belief, there are normal people who live in those places... with things to do! I enjoy the culture, the art museums, the festivals, the beaches, the night clubs, the malls, the many different restaurants, the quaint downstore shops..all of these things are nice to have around and I haven't seen too many of these things in [North Dakota].
If you haven't guessed, North Dakota is a "make your own excitement" kind of place. Got a hobby? Good, you can do that most of the time and not be concerned about being bothered. Like to read? There's plenty of time for that, because you won't have much energy left after working 60 hours a week to afford your basic life essentials.

Last edited by acfreema; 06-29-2010 at 11:18 PM..

Old 06-30-2010, 10:07 AM

7,397 posts, read 10,432,332 times
I was just there last week. There was no shortgage of places to grab a beer or a good steak. The people were cool and the sunsets were mindblowing.

It ain't New York or Paris, but that is part of the appeal.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:45 AM

231 posts, read 453,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It ain't New York or Paris, but that is part of the appeal.
That's right, because it's a state, not a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota