Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:29 PM

5 posts, read 33,012 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I live in FL and I just don't like my city, it is just horrible. Drugs are everywhere, my car has been stolen and the homicide rate is crazy. I feel like its time for me to pack up and get out of here as soon as possible. I want to move up north. I just want to find a small town just a place where I can take it easy, go to work, and one day have a family.

I'm 19, I work as an EMT, and I am about to finish my paramedic training. I'm just looking for a nice small town where the people are nice, kind, and welcoming. A place there are some jobs, and that crime is low (Orlando had 36 murders this year, and the year isn't over ). I hope that there is such a place, any info would be great.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 09:58 AM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
Hello

How far north do you want to go?? Depends on how cold you want and how big a city you want. ND is very safe....Fargo and Bismarck are growing quite a bit....but I also know many rural ambulance/fire depts need EMT's as well.

I can try to help you out if you are looking for something specific...let me know.

Dan

Old 09-25-2006, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 33,012 times
Well I have been to Minnesota during winter and I wouldn’t mind the temperature. I was looking for a small city. But I wouldn’t mind working for a rural ambulance/fire department. I’m just looking for a nice town where I can start a family. I heard though, people my age tend to move away from the small towns, so I might be contradicting myself. But if I to be more specific this is what I am looking for in a town.

1. A town population 600 or more people.
2. With in commuting range of a city if I have to work in one.
3. Have people my age staying with in town.
4. That has a need for an EMT/paramedic.

That might be vague but that’s what I am looking for. Any town has some of those qualities would be great. Also what are the incentives the government is giving to people to move there?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2006, 12:04 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,997,606 times
Hi....Wish you luck. Any specific thoughts on where....or what area maybe. If looking for just North Dakota, there are many areas to look at. Main thing would be to try the job market to see where there are job openings. I dont know of any govt programs to make people move up here...some small towns do offer greatly reduced lot prices or special tax breaks for 1-3 years on new homes being built.

North Dakota has 4 major cities....Fargo (metro area pop around 150,000)....Bismarck (metro area pop around 70,000)....Grand Forks (metro area pop (around 60,000) and Minot (pop about 35,000). Other good size towns are Jamestown, Dickinson, Wahpeton, Devils Lake, and Williston. Then there are the smaller towns pop under 10,000 such as Grafton, Langdon, Valley City, to name a few. Anyone of these would offer a good living, definitely slower paced. Being close to one of the top 4 cites would be ideal for shopping, eating out, etc for chain restaurants. Most smaller towns have mom and pop local restaurants.

What part of Minnesota did you visit?? I think you definitely should investigate the weather. It will be different, and if you just visited the MSP area, our weather is quite a bit colder. I for one like the cold and wind, but contrary to a lot of people who have never been here we dont have 6 months of winter....usually you can expect snow on the ground in my part of the ND and MN (Grand Forks area) from about Nov 15 until Apr 1....give or take depending on winter pcpn. It can be cold too, but we dont get extreme cold every winter and when we do it usually does not last too long. We had only two nights last winter with sub 25 below zero weather....and only a couple of days with highs below zero. Most of the time it was in the teens and not a whole lot of wind too which is very unusual.

Check job postings for your profession and narrow down your choices and I say go for something different. You may like it up here or it may be too desolate. Everybody is different.

Dan

Old 02-08-2008, 11:14 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,867,574 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewherenew View Post
Hello,

I live in FL and I just don't like my city, it is just horrible. Drugs are everywhere, my car has been stolen and the homicide rate is crazy. I feel like its time for me to pack up and get out of here as soon as possible. I want to move up north. I just want to find a small town just a place where I can take it easy, go to work, and one day have a family.

I'm 19, I work as an EMT, and I am about to finish my paramedic training. I'm just looking for a nice small town where the people are nice, kind, and welcoming. A place there are some jobs, and that crime is low (Orlando had 36 murders this year, and the year isn't over ). I hope that there is such a place, any info would be great.

Thanks
North Dakota, man, you really do want to get away.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:15 AM

203 posts, read 960,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by williboy View Post
North Dakota, man, you really do want to get away.
LOL, I agree!

As for starting a family, if you still need need to "find someone" I would stick closer to Bismarck or Fargo. Smaller towns have less for young people= leaving the area. At least move closer to an area with jobs and "entertainment."

Old 02-09-2008, 08:06 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewherenew View Post
Hello,

Thanks
If you can handle windchill temperatures of -40F in North Dakota you will do just fine. It is extremely cold in ND tonight.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:05 PM

70 posts, read 406,644 times
Wonder if that FL guy made it up to ND? I did this same thing back in 2004 when I moved from St Pete to Bismarck for a job. That's quite the change of scenery and temperature.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:59 AM

38 posts, read 199,334 times
Hey Somewherenew,

If you're still in FL and looking to move to ND, My recommendation is Dickinson, ND in the Western part of the state. There are several reasons. Send me a separate e-mail at
davednorris at yahoo dot com or give me a call at (601) 635-5550.
We've lived there 2 different times and loved it. I'm originally from San Diego Ca, and my wife is from Mississippi and we both were able to handle the temps, I'm sure you will be able to also.

Hope to hear from you,

Dave N.
<><

Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM

205 posts, read 729,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler73 View Post
Wonder if that FL guy made it up to ND? I did this same thing back in 2004 when I moved from St Pete to Bismarck for a job. That's quite the change of scenery and temperature.
Would it be fair to ask why you moved from Bismarck to the Black Hills? Was it because of employment, or do you just like the Black Hills better? Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota