Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 AM

12 posts, read 12,055 times

Advertisements

So I have been eyeing the North Dakota oil fields for a bit now for a few reasons, chief among them a desire major change of pace (lived my whole life in San Diego, still here), I like driving (but I don't want to do it my whole life), to live in a more gun-friendly state for a while and to sock away money for going to PA/NP school (because seriously, who wants to be in debt?) and/or investing in various investments and business ideas that I have.

Backstory: I just got my Class A CDL with all the bells and whistles (sans the firetruck and SPAB certificate) after driving shuttles and party buses for 3 years with my Class B license (thank you very much, UCSD ) and I consider myself a good driver. Obviously, I am going to need some training but I am a quick study and I have a decent amount of other practical skills as well (EMT, computer, mild accounting skills, overall geek, etc).

I know that this is a very broad forum that encompasses a lot of different subcultures so and I know that at least one person on here has first-hand knowledge of what I am talking about. What I am looking for in general are locations on where I should apply, where I should go, any tips/pointers, etc. I have been applying over the computer to a variety of companies but I haven't gotten anything back. I am nearly convinced that I am going to have to drive up there to apply for jobs in person. Luckily, I have a friend in Minot I can stay with for a bit while I putt around and apply to different places.

So... let's hear what you guys have to say!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2012, 01:45 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,941 times
Start here:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ving-jobs.html

Quote:
I am nearly convinced that I am going to have to drive up there to apply for jobs in person.
And from what I've observed, this is probably true.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:46 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Folks are getting a little tired of broad statements, like, "Ok, here I am, feed me all the info", without knowing a little more of what they need to answer.

Have you read the other threads, particularly the thread on Oil FIeld Truck Driving Jobs? How about Owner Operator? The first thread has a multitude of recommendations for jobs, even names companys.

Have you thought of the problem with housing, or even read anywhere on here about housing? There is none. When somebody on here says they are paying $1500 for a 1 bedroom apartment, ask them if there are any others available and you'll find out, there are none. That person waited months to get his and then got it by word of mouth from another worker.

There are hundreds if not more, people living in cars, pickups, and RV's, just praying they can get into an apartment of some sort (even sharing with others), before Winter hits.

What kind of job are you looking for? Shift work, 9-5, steady haul, heavy transport, crude, sand, etc... Do you desire to go to North Dakota and sit, idle, like hundreds of drivers are doing right now, hoping that things will pick up?

The point I am trying to make is that a year ago, North Dakota was taking anybody and everybody that could pass a drug test and in resonable physical condition. Not so anymore. They've filled most jobs and now are being more selective on thier choices. The rolls are reversed. A year ago they had thousands of jobs, and hundreds of applications. Now they have hundreds of jobs and thousands of applications.

I spent 20 years in San Diego, so I know where you are coming from. I was forced there and all to glad to get the hell out at the first opportunity.

I suggest you read a bit on the forum, get some ideas of what is going on, and then narrow down your questions so they can be reasonably answered.

Good luck and welcome to the North Dakota Forum.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:01 PM

159 posts, read 350,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullnshoot25 View Post
So I have been eyeing the North Dakota oil fields for a bit now for a few reasons, chief among them a desire major change of pace (lived my whole life in San Diego, still here), I like driving (but I don't want to do it my whole life), to live in a more gun-friendly state for a while and to sock away money for going to PA/NP school (because seriously, who wants to be in debt?) and/or investing in various investments and business ideas that I have.

Backstory: I just got my Class A CDL with all the bells and whistles (sans the firetruck and SPAB certificate) after driving shuttles and party buses for 3 years with my Class B license (thank you very much, UCSD ) and I consider myself a good driver. Obviously, I am going to need some training but I am a quick study and I have a decent amount of other practical skills as well (EMT, computer, mild accounting skills, overall geek, etc).

I know that this is a very broad forum that encompasses a lot of different subcultures so and I know that at least one person on here has first-hand knowledge of what I am talking about. What I am looking for in general are locations on where I should apply, where I should go, any tips/pointers, etc. I have been applying over the computer to a variety of companies but I haven't gotten anything back. I am nearly convinced that I am going to have to drive up there to apply for jobs in person. Luckily, I have a friend in Minot I can stay with for a bit while I putt around and apply to different places.

So... let's hear what you guys have to say!
Well with all your office skills im still taking it your looking for a driving job right? ANND that is what U were applying for am I correct? And your Licence with Bells and Whistles and Firetruck cert. is from some sort of Certified Training School or did U just read the book and go take the Test.? Did you know that you can get the same type of job much closer to Diego? And with your Driving Exp. U may have to if U want to get into that field. Many of the same companies are in different oil fields around the country. Is the Bakken Shale the only one you have heard about so far. Do U like the Cold? Or should I say can you Deal With It signed X Cali

Old 09-09-2012, 02:24 AM

12 posts, read 12,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Folks are getting a little tired of broad statements, like, "Ok, here I am, feed me all the info", without knowing a little more of what they need to answer.

Have you read the other threads, particularly the thread on Oil FIeld Truck Driving Jobs? How about Owner Operator? The first thread has a multitude of recommendations for jobs, even names companys.

Have you thought of the problem with housing, or even read anywhere on here about housing? There is none. When somebody on here says they are paying $1500 for a 1 bedroom apartment, ask them if there are any others available and you'll find out, there are none. That person waited months to get his and then got it by word of mouth from another worker.

There are hundreds if not more, people living in cars, pickups, and RV's, just praying they can get into an apartment of some sort (even sharing with others), before Winter hits.

What kind of job are you looking for? Shift work, 9-5, steady haul, heavy transport, crude, sand, etc... Do you desire to go to North Dakota and sit, idle, like hundreds of drivers are doing right now, hoping that things will pick up?

The point I am trying to make is that a year ago, North Dakota was taking anybody and everybody that could pass a drug test and in resonable physical condition. Not so anymore. They've filled most jobs and now are being more selective on thier choices. The rolls are reversed. A year ago they had thousands of jobs, and hundreds of applications. Now they have hundreds of jobs and thousands of applications.

I spent 20 years in San Diego, so I know where you are coming from. I was forced there and all to glad to get the hell out at the first opportunity.

I suggest you read a bit on the forum, get some ideas of what is going on, and then narrow down your questions so they can be reasonably answered.

Good luck and welcome to the North Dakota Forum.
That is something of the general feeling that I was getting re: job availability. I see a lot of craigslist offerings for decent pay but they all want prior oilfield experience (which I don't have) which indicates a trend towards selectivity though I was not aware of the extent.

Will do some more reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferyz View Post
Well with all your office skills im still taking it your looking for a driving job right? ANND that is what U were applying for am I correct? And your Licence with Bells and Whistles and Firetruck cert. is from some sort of Certified Training School or did U just read the book and go take the Test.? Did you know that you can get the same type of job much closer to Diego? And with your Driving Exp. U may have to if U want to get into that field. Many of the same companies are in different oil fields around the country. Is the Bakken Shale the only one you have heard about so far. Do U like the Cold? Or should I say can you Deal With It signed X Cali
No firetruck cert, but my license was acquired through a certified school.

I am aware I could work much closer to San Diego but I kind of wanted to go to a radically different climate. I know that North Dakota can get quite cold and I don't have too much experience with cold but I am not too shaken up by it.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:41 PM

159 posts, read 350,922 times
Well heres the low down from where im sitting. if you R serious about driving in the Oil fields,Just like myself Do what U need to do to get your foot in the door. From what i have seen the boat has sailed for entry level drivers in ND , But in Texas they R in need right now and will hire a driving school Grad. The thing for me is the wages R lower in TX But U will get the OIL Field Exp. plus a pretty decent check with it. Come Spring of 2013 U will have EXP. and should be able to get a job in Nd at a much higher pay scale doing the same thing. Where? Try Odessa/Midland Texas. For you its a straight shot on hwy 8 / 10/ and hwy 20. 1000 miles east. Call Nabors and see what they say. Keep me up to speed on anything good you may come across Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: