Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 2,081 times

Advertisements

Please, I will like to know what is required to get an internship offer from some of these oil processing companies like Hess, Whiting, Marathon Oil, Baker Hughes etc. I am a graduate student and my major is Mechanical engineering but I am an international student on F1 visa. I have no relevant experience from the oil industries except for the classroom learning during my undergraduate until now.

I want to learn just anything that is needed and prepare myself to securing a job after graduation. I am passionate about working in oil and gas sector, maybe by starting with internship or some kind of training. What kind of courses should I take right now to prepare myself for this kind of job? What should I focus on?

Please, every piece of advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 10:49 AM

59 posts, read 138,368 times
Oil production companies, such as Hess, Whiting and Marathon, will generally not hire or intern students unless they have a degree specific to the field. This may include Petroleum Engineering, Petroleum Geology, etc. A Mechanical Engineering degree will probably not be sufficient to get in with a large operating company without some special circumstances.

I would take a look at servie companies instead. There is a much greater chance of landing a job with them. If you can get hired at a service company, it would be possible to move over to a production company after you become experienced.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota