Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2012, 11:14 PM

12 posts, read 35,441 times

Advertisements

Hi. Could someone tell me if there are undesirable areas of Bismarck? I am looking at a house on Mandan st., downtown. I have heard it is not a desirable place for a family and also that it is. I just want my kids to be able to ride their bikes and find friends to play with and be safe. The northern areas seem to be what many people like with the new construction, but seems you get much less for your money and I like the character of the older homes, built in 80 or earlier.
Let me try to get to my point...if one of the main things on our list is the kids being able to be out and about and safely ride bikes to a friends house or park, would we need to live in the newer areas to the north?
Thanks so much to any responders!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2012, 03:41 PM

979 posts, read 3,668,943 times
There really is no undesirable area in Bismarck. Anywhere is safe, or not any more unsafe than any other town its size. You have to be careful no matter where you live now days. North Mandan street in and north of Main Ave (downtown) is fine. The Cathedral area (historic are of downtown) is pretty much adjacent to the area you are referring to. Many people own and renovate older homes in this area. South Mandan street (south of the tracks) is alright as well, but closer to public housing, etc... Not that your kids would be in any kind of danger, but it is just not as appealing.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 PM

37 posts, read 63,924 times
South of the trax's? That area on Mandan between Washington and 3rd st is a busy area
alot of apt's,(alot) large sprawling hotel(Ramkota on 3rd). Drivers cut through to 3rd from Washington and visa versa by the minute, so expect more than usual traffic on the cross streets
In the immediate area there is a ton of street front retail here also, so expect high volumes all hrs of the day. Not anything could call secluded. On other hand lots of everything to walk to.
Can literally get rid of that second vehicle if need be. Target, Dans, Cashwise a little further.
Zoo a literal 10min walk and nice too. Downtown main around the corner, I'd envy that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota