Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 AM

661 posts, read 1,247,630 times

Advertisements

I plan on moving to ND. I'm not sure if winter clothes I could buy at a Walmart is suitable for the weather in ND. I've been wondering where those people in Antarctica (most likely scientists) get their cold weather apparel from. I'm not too crazy about wearing layers of clothes or anything bulky. I've lived in Chicago before so I know how it's like. I've worn 4-5 layers of clothings before.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:06 AM

231 posts, read 872,841 times
Wherever they sell Carhartt insulated outerwear. Lots of places sell it up here. But I'd wait until you were here before I'd spend too much for things you might not use.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:50 AM

154 posts, read 412,809 times
The winter gear at Walmart will do you just fine but get it here. Personally I prefer a farm/ranch supply store - Runnings, TSC, etc. Better selection usually. Don't skimp on boots. You don't want your feet getting wet. If you're going to be working outdoors you'll want a couple different weights of bibs/coveralls. There are cheaper brands than Carhart but the zippers and snaps fail regularly on them. I got some Carhart Arctic gear for Christmas a few years ago but it's too warm for me. I don't think you can beat layers. Turtleneck and sweatshirt under the coat. I get that sort of thing at rummage sales or second hand stores. You can always shed a layer if you need too. You don't want to get too warm either. Everybody talks about how cold it gets but you have to remember the temp can vary greatly over the course of a few hours. Probably the best thing to do is get advice from the people you work with.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 PM

661 posts, read 1,247,630 times
Thanks for the responses. I am familiar with Carhart products. I'm currently using Craftsman vest and jacket.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 AM

581 posts, read 2,214,913 times
Home of Economy in Williston is the best store for work/winter clothing and boots.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:50 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,164,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kychlo View Post
Home of Economy in Williston is the best store for work/winter clothing and boots.
I definitely agree with that. Huge selection of Carhartt.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I would take all the suggestions, and maybe look before moving at the stores mentioned...Unless things have changed a lot recently, Walmart runs short on lots of things. Carhart, Walls..both decent brands...coveralls, jackets, thermolined gloves, winter boots, socks. long under wear, beanies, Hooded bu.t.t length coat is handy. Make sure you have housing lined up.

Old 11-25-2012, 06:04 PM

60 posts, read 156,786 times
Both of the companies I worked for here in ND provided me with bags full of cold weather gear. From Baffin boots, thermal underwear, gloves, coats and coveralls.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:31 AM

15 posts, read 45,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thealfa View Post
I plan on moving to ND. I'm not sure if winter clothes I could buy at a Walmart is suitable for the weather in ND. I've been wondering where those people in Antarctica (most likely scientists) get their cold weather apparel from. I'm not too crazy about wearing layers of clothes or anything bulky. I've lived in Chicago before so I know how it's like. I've worn 4-5 layers of clothings before.
In my opinion, it depends on what you are going to be doing here. if you plan on spending a lot of time outdoors between October - March, you are probably going to need some serious cold weather gear and I agree that Runnings and farm supply stores appear to better stocked than the local walmart.

However, if you are an office or retail worker, you are going to be happy with the layering your best option. I find most interior spaces overheated to the point that you have to peel off layers and then put them back on as the temperature flucuates throughout the day. similar to my winter experience with chicago. outside can be bitterly cold (it WILL be colder here), but the inside will be as hot as jamaica in August, only less humid.

The real kicker up here is that you need to keep cold weather gear in your car as an emergency precaution. because its not a very far fetched idea that you might get stranded in your automobile at least once during the winter. and EVERYWHERE is far away.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM

18 posts, read 39,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickydink63 View Post
Both of the companies I worked for here in ND provided me with bags full of cold weather gear. From Baffin boots, thermal underwear, gloves, coats and coveralls.
Wow! Is that the norm for most companies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota