Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM

15 posts, read 18,463 times

Advertisements

So i am born and raised in MO me and my new family are wanting something new. I love the mountains and colder weather. so my questions are how does living compare to missouri? cost wise and weather wise. also how is the jobs and education? and any other info you want to share please feel free!! thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:36 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,856,014 times
If you love the mountains, I am not sure why you would be considering ND, unless cold weather trumps the mountains. The western part of the state is begging for workers of any kind. Fargo seems to be doing well also. Education in N D is probably better than in Mo.

uh

Old 01-03-2013, 12:41 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,000,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
So i am born and raised in MO me and my new family are wanting something new. I love the mountains and colder weather. so my questions are how does living compare to missouri? cost wise and weather wise. also how is the jobs and education? and any other info you want to share please feel free!! thank you!
I used to live and work in Springfield MO and grew up in Western KY and been through St Louis and that are along I-44 quite a bit. Mostly in the 90s as I have been in the Grand Forks area since 1998.

If you like the hills and forests of where you live now...our region doesnt have that. Eastern part of the state (Red River valley incl Fargo and Grand Forks) is very flat and prime ag land for growing corn, beans, wheat, sugar beets). Central and west parts of the state are more rolling and mix of livestock and wheat with the badlands and more varied scenery in southwestern ND west of Dickinson.

Fargo is the largest city...it is more of a metro area now combined with West Fargo to the west and Moorhead MN to the east. Fargo typically has the cheapest cost of living and lowest food/gas/rental prices than anywhere in the state and jobs are available in a large variety of fields. Of course the majority would be the more lower paying service industry jobs....but other jobs are to be had too. Oil jobs are out in western ND not in the east, but housing in the oil region is also more expensive and harder to come by. Bismarck in the middle continues to see strong growth and housing building is strong there.

Having lived in a part of Missouri then moved to Grand Forks....things overall are more expensive...certainly real estate taxes if buying a house and I would likely say rental prices as well. Missouri cost of living is quite low compared to most anywhere.

Weather is certainly colder and winters drier with frequent below zero temps at night and snow on the ground mid nov to mid march most years. Thickest snow cover north and eastern parts of the state.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:52 AM

559 posts, read 1,466,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post

Whoa, when you said you loved mountains it definitelty threw me off a little bit. There are no mountains or forest or a lot of hills in North Dakota. It's pretty flat. Near South Dakota there are the bad lands, which is about as close as you are going to get to mountains, but the landscape and atmosphere is completely different than Missouri. And when you say cold....how cold are you wanting it to be? Because the temps drop below zero frequently but it can feel MUCH colder.

I found North Dakota to be more expensive to live in then the South but I guess it depends on where you live and the work you get. I also found jobs difficult to find, but I don't do any oil field work or farming or heavy equipment operations.

I didn't go to school there but only because they didn't offer the degree I wanted in the town where I lived, only in Fargo and Grand Forks, so I can't say anything about that except depends on what you are wanting to do education wise and if they have it available statewide. Also, make sure there is a need for the career field you are wanting to get into.

As for that, what are your hobbies? Because of the weather you might be limited in any outdoor activities you enjoy. It is very cold and you will rarely see the sun...but in the summer the sun stays out til almost midnight...although summer is about 2-3 months long I'm not sure it's worth the nine month winter. It has snowed in may before and I had to wear a coat at night almost every 4th of July so it definitely has that cold weather you want!

My opinion, visit in the winter. January of February will give you a very good taste of what you are wanting to know.

Good luck.

PS: My opinion, I disliked it very much. I left after two years. I visit often, though, but only because of connections to the Air Force base in Minot. When all my friends and family leave there, I will not be going back. So visit before you make up your mind.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,663,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
If you love the mountains, I am not sure why you would be considering ND, unless cold weather trumps the mountains. The western part of the state is begging for workers of any kind. Fargo seems to be doing well also. Education in N D is probably better than in Mo.

uh
How do you know? just cause the jobs is better don't mean the educations is better.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:21 PM

431 posts, read 1,605,738 times
After living throughout the southwest, including Arkansas, I moved to ND. We are missing the mountains and numerous forest, but the plains are just at beautiful. I attached an image of a sunrise that I took just north of Minot. Can't see this with the mountains blocking your view. Schools are some of the best in the nation, nothing to worry about that. Jobs, should not be a problem. Cold!!! I've been here over 20 years now and I still cannot get use to the below zero temps. I just have to dress a little warmer and keep moving along.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota