U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 AM

16 posts, read 29,623 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm a Michigander born and raised who is recently soon to graduate. I'm a K-12 foreign language teacher (Spanish and French) and my partner is a marketing/business major with an interest in general bank management (like branch manager stuff). I've been wondering about North Dakota as a place to relocate to after graduation. I have to teach 5 years in one school so I was wondering, are education jobs plentiful in North Dakota? Also are banking jobs plentiful? I'd be very willing to research this myself if you can suggest good sources.

Also, on that note I have to ask, how are gay male couples viewed by North Dakotans (in general obviously)? Especially around bigger cities, Fargo, Grand Forks, Bismarck, Minot, Williston, etc.? In smaller towns I'm pretty confident the situation is the same as Michigan.

Also, how is buying a house? We have been privileged to be homeowners in Michigan since we were 19 years old and we would only consider homeownership again, preferably more suburban or rural homeownership. We bought our house for $6000, but we would consider anything under $60,000. Do North Dakota home prices in non-upscale areas range in the under $100,000 category? Again, I'd research this myself if you can suggest good links.

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM

15,824 posts, read 18,440,406 times
You might find the job related opportunities that you seek in either Bismarck, Fargo, Grand Forks, Minot. I'm not sure how easily domestic partners are accepted...but I will say that I've not seen nor heard any discriminatory remarks or incidents in N.D.

I will share that I met a lesbian couple that I was interviewing for a college paper about 10 years ago. They had moved to a small town north of Grand Forks. One lady shared that when they had moved they were afraid of being discriminated against. She said that they had been accepted, they were a bit of a novelty she felt...Her words were..."We are lesbian, but we are their lesbians"...if that makes sense. You said you were from small town, so it probably does make sense.

I work in a firm downtown Grand Forks, we have done business w/ gay and lesbian couples....no thing...same goes for other races and cultures...I honestly think in our region, as long as you are decent folks, doing you own thing, no one will bother you. We aren't totally progressive in N.D. but for the most part we are totally accepting. So, no worries.
Here are a few inks for you re:LGBT http://www.rainbowlaw.org/html/directoryND.htm
http://www.gaynorthdakota.com/index.html

As far as housing prices...They are gonna vary. With the boom here in N.D. the housing market has been fluctuating high for the past few years. You may luck out and find something decent close to your price goal...but I would guess 100-130,000 in places like Fargo, Bismarck would be a decent older home...or a condo. In Grand Forks you're probably looking more in the neighborhood of 140-180,000 for a decent 3-4 bedroom.

I know that there are others on this forum more familiar with other N.D. towns, and they will chime in hopefully. I' just speak about the few I'm a bit familiar with.

Our prices in G.F. have gone up a lot this last year alone. Minot, things are much like Williston or any part of Western N.D. prices are way up...if you can find anything at all. Rents are sky rocketed...again because of the boom, and Minot also due to a major flood last year that destroyed housing.

There may be more teaching opportunities in the Western part of the state, because of all the newly relocated folks and there children....But, the housing may defeat you. Don't let that stop you from searching though...There are some wonderful stories on these threads of people that came and found housing right away...

Grand Forks, Bismarck, Fargo...not sure of the openings for teaching...not sure of openings for banking anywhere. Good job search engines are listed throughout this thread COMMUNITY JOB Links, Websites & resources:Add your's as you discover new resources... ( 1 2 3 4 5 6)

And, the front page of this forum, City Data allows you to look up all demographics and many variables about any city over 5000 pop. I highly recommend it as a starting place to answer many relocation questions. http://www.city-data.com/

All that being said. If you were both interested in the earning capacity that many folks in the oil industry are experiencing, and aren't afraid of high rents til you get something built, or find a better place to buy...I'd recommend that you check the oil jobs, links in the thread I listed above in the "comm...thread" for oil jobs also. Housing is the hardest situation that folks are consistently struggling with in the Bakken areas. Many folks are helpful on these N.D. threads, read several or ask questions. Good luck to you.

Last edited by JanND; 01-24-2013 at 11:48 AM.. Reason: spacing, links added

Old 01-24-2013, 11:57 AM

16 posts, read 29,623 times
Thank you very much for your response. That is good to hear. That happens here in Michigan, too, with LGBT, it takes some adjustment in small towns but usually people don't lock up (and Michigan is probably less progressive than ND on the issue, more aligned with MS when it comes to politics).

Housing is what makes me nervous. I guess we'll have to see. I was looking at some listings in Eastern ND from a Grand Forks realtor and was saying to myself, $90,000 for that!? I could buy that in Saginaw for $30,000!

Thanks again and for the links!

Old 01-24-2013, 12:09 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
I would add I live in EGF MN and we have a lesbian couple on our block and there hasnt been any issues at all and all of us go their for trick or treating. It is something honestly you dont here about around here and agree with Jan in our region....we all care if you are a good person.

as for home prices...for our northeastern nd region you can check the mls listings to see about the smallter towns. Here is a great link for our region....

Welcome To BLAKESLISTINGS.COM - Blake ChristiansonGrand Forks, ND REALTOR

For other areas and small towns that realtor dot com site may work and just browsing and checking small towns for real estate companies. You can find some cheaper homes that need fixing but not in a larger city.
40 to 70k would be doable in a small town (a fixer upper).

I would suggest you focus on job and then go from there....

Dan

Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM

4,731 posts, read 9,083,146 times
Fargo area might be an area to look into...

growing metro and new schools going up in West Fargo (separate growing suburb). There are several smaller towns around that would offer lower cost of living....

I saw this that may help to give some ideas of housing costs. Overall you will find our housing has gone up over the last decade and esp that last 5 years versus the rest of the country.

Listings Search

Old 01-24-2013, 12:48 PM

418 posts, read 1,185,440 times
All of my extended family is in Western Michigan--Holland, Grand Rapids, Battle Creek. Given that the recession hit MI much harder than ND, housing prices dropped in Michigan at the time they stayed steady in Fargo, or increased. For comparable neighborhoods & schools, what would cost $250,000 in Fargo would be about $175,000 in the burbs of GR.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 5,564 times
williston need school teachers but there's no housing they have teachers in small trailers on the play ground but being your Gay Id say sadly williston isn't the place to live well living there I had a friend the was gay he had a hard time in town they don't even like the oil workers there I'm sure the bigger towns are more acceptable Id hope
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota