Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 06:33 AM

75 posts, read 162,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelsFan View Post
Thanks! Minot because my husband can not do anything that resembles a big or biggish city. As far as night life and clubs/ bars...that is not important to my family. We are a small family and dont "go out". I could look into Fargo and the surrounding area.

Do you know about the job market in Fargo?

As far as Minot, I would rather buy I just dont want to buy a house without knowing the area. We would rather buy a home on a couple acres if possible.
General advice. Whenever moving to a new city, always rent for a least 6-12 mos to get to know the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM

14 posts, read 43,820 times
My husband and I looked into Fargo and the surrounding area and I think thats a good fit. Thanks everyone....

Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,003,333 times
Quote:
My husband and I looked into Fargo and the surrounding area and I think thats a good fit. Thanks everyone....
I do think once you get out of the immediate F-M area that area suits you fine. There are nice smaller towns west of the metro....Casselton being one but it is growing and on I-94... a bit south is Lisbon which is a nice, small town and lots of open farmland around it also close to Fort Ransom State Park and its scenic area along the Sheyenne. Are you looking for specific type of jobs/careers?

The weather differences between Fargo area and Minot are not huge on many days.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Also West Fargo itself...it is a growing suburb of Fargo....it is more typical surburban (not as big of a suburb as the ones in CA of course) the south side in particular south of I-94 is growing fast with new housing/new hospital going in and a new high school being built. And the housing stock there is enough to find a better choice of rental places. A lot depends on where you find work. During the winter...driving from 30 miles out to town can be a chore somedays due to snow/ice and blowing snow....thus though you love the country it may be best to stay at least early on closer in town to where you want to work.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:38 AM

I am a Police Officer here in Ca. My husband is a pilot. I am currently going to school for my Bachelors degree in Business Admin. I have experience in a lot of different areas of work so I can do just about anything.

My husband is used to snow and ice so the driving wont be so bad for him. He grew up in WV. I am not used to driving in snow or ice so it might be dicey.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I am a Police Officer here in Ca. My husband is a pilot. I am currently going to school for my Bachelors degree in Business Admin. I have experience in a lot of different areas of work so I can do just about anything.

My husband is used to snow and ice so the driving wont be so bad for him. He grew up in WV. I am not used to driving in snow or ice so it might be dicey.
very nice... I am from western KY.....I have been in the Red River valley since 1998. Fortunately flat here so no hills to go up/down. Certainly longer winters...much longer and much colder. WV will seem very warm....but I am a cold weather fan so I like that.

Your husband a private pilot or one who flies for an airline/company.

Old 07-05-2013, 01:10 PM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times
As a police officer, you must know then that we have a severe shortage of them around the Minot area, including state police.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:38 PM

My husband is a private pilot but who knows when we get up there.

I know the city of Minot is hiring for police. I want to get to the state and get my bearings on the laws before I make a promise I can enforce them. As of now we are still going back and forth between Minot and rural Fargo area....

Old 07-06-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
My husband is a private pilot but who knows when we get up there.

I know the city of Minot is hiring for police. I want to get to the state and get my bearings on the laws before I make a promise I can enforce them. As of now we are still going back and forth between Minot and rural Fargo area....
Best thing is to make a trip up here and visit both places and see how you like it. Doesnt seem there are any specific job things that would make one area more viable over the other. Minot has been growing so fast lately and then the river flood of 11....so it is only now beginning to catch up some in terms of housing...but lots more infrastructure improvements are needed for the growing population. Minot may well surpass Grand Forks in a few years to become the 3rd largest city in the state behind Fargo and Bismarck.

Fargo and environs has had stable growth for years so infrastructure is better able to handle it. Rural areas are starting to see some new development...but farming is still a big way of life and farmland is expensive so dont expect to see a whole lot eaten up by developers oustide of the metro area.

I mentioned driving in the winter....if you know you must work in town (ether place) I would avoid intially trying to find a place way outside of town as it isnt so much the roads themselves, but the wind which can often cause reduced visiblity in blowing snow that makes it hazardous.

Old 07-09-2013, 03:16 PM

16 posts, read 42,335 times
I agree about the CA statement. While I was looking for jobs anyway where in the country there were only two states I wouldnt submit a resume to. CA and OK. I figured they were both at the extreme fringe of their particular political ideologies and I didnt want anything to do with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota