U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 PM

46 posts, read 126,967 times

Advertisements

Whilst staying at a Resort Hotel in Orlando, Florida two weeks ago, I met a family who were vacationing from Mandan ND, a place I had never thought of to visit before or anywhere on that side of USA. In talking with the wife in the Lobby she told me there were so many job openings that way that it peaked my interest to check things out on this website. Unfortunately, they left the following day so I was not able to exchange nos. with them or anything, which I regret. Anyway, can anyone tell me if this is really true and in my healthcare profession would I be able to find employment soon if I started sending out resumes from maybe Oct. for next year? My husband's last full time job was as a Purchasing Dept. Manager but the company closed down and moved to Idaho and since then he has been working off and on and can hardly make ends meet. I am so tired of the constant heat in Florida that I am so ready to move but have to wait for kids to finish High School next May. Lived for years in New Jersey so am a bit accustomed to snow although I guess your weather gets worse at times. How would you suggest I go about trying to find a job from so far away? I'm willing to make a trip next April when the kids have their spring break to look around, especially as the housing situation seems to be a problem from what I've been reading. Any suggestions? Would appreciate everyone's point of view. Also can anyone give me a link to check out the prices of foodstuff your way? Also wondered about electricity, cable and water rates? Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM

746 posts, read 1,582,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy-Margaret View Post
Whilst staying at a Resort Hotel in Orlando, Florida two weeks ago, I met a family who were vacationing from Mandan ND, a place I had never thought of to visit before or anywhere on that side of USA. In talking with the wife in the Lobby she told me there were so many job openings that way that it peaked my interest to check things out on this website. Unfortunately, they left the following day so I was not able to exchange nos. with them or anything, which I regret. Anyway, can anyone tell me if this is really true and in my healthcare profession would I be able to find employment soon if I started sending out resumes from maybe Oct. for next year? My husband's last full time job was as a Purchasing Dept. Manager but the company closed down and moved to Idaho and since then he has been working off and on and can hardly make ends meet. I am so tired of the constant heat in Florida that I am so ready to move but have to wait for kids to finish High School next May. Lived for years in New Jersey so am a bit accustomed to snow although I guess your weather gets worse at times. How would you suggest I go about trying to find a job from so far away? I'm willing to make a trip next April when the kids have their spring break to look around, especially as the housing situation seems to be a problem from what I've been reading. Any suggestions? Would appreciate everyone's point of view. Also can anyone give me a link to check out the prices of foodstuff your way? Also wondered about electricity, cable and water rates? Thanks
Think almost every major hospital in North Dakota has been expanding or at least adding personnel.

The one's with most expansions / needs : Williston, Dickinson, Minot, maybe Bismarck
Others: Fargo, Grand Forks, Jamestown, maybe Bismarck

Your husband can probably easily find a job in Williston, Dickinson, Minot, and maybe Bismarck and Fargo, because purchasing managers are commonly needed in the Oilfield.

Would have your husband find a job first, and then you look. There are like 14,000 jobs open on Job Service North Dakota.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:36 PM

Annual Electricity Price Comparison by State

Florida utility rates are about 30% higher than ND (7th cheapest electric rate of all states).

Cost of Living in Bismarck, ND, United States. Prices in Bismarck, ND.

Mandan is on the west side of the Missouri across from Bismarck, so people typically reference the larger Mandan community as Bismarck-Mandan.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:53 PM

Thank you for the info., I will let my husband look at the Job Service Website. Would like to know if anyone thinks it would be a waste of time if we are not accustomed to the extreme cold, or if it's doable? I appreciate all suggestions/opinions. I work for a large Nursing Home Community that has over 640 facilities throughout USA called 'BROOKDALE', unfortunately they don't seem to have any in ND that I could simply transfer to, and of course the $$$$$ I guess is what interest most people who work in ND, even if it means just doing that for a couple years and then leaving if the cold weather is too brutal for them. Any thoughts?

Old 08-16-2013, 06:02 PM

There are parts of Texas that have the same economy as ND. Could try MidlandOdessa, Abilene, Ft Worth, Beeville, too.

The cold will just an adjustment period, generally.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:36 AM

I'm trying to get away from the extreme heat, Texas is worst than Florida so would not want to move there. Just looking for someplace that has jobs but no extreme heat or cold........wishful thinking I guess?

Old 08-19-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy-Margaret View Post
I'm trying to get away from the extreme heat, Texas is worst than Florida so would not want to move there. Just looking for someplace that has jobs but no extreme heat or cold........wishful thinking I guess?
It might sound weird, but the Marcellus in PA/WV and Utica in eastern Ohio are opening up job growth in those regions, mostly a triangle: northwest of Pittsburgh, down the Ohio River to Parkersburg, WV, and up to Youngstown, OH area. With all the people there already, the effects aren't as striking as ND or parts of TX, but still there. Might give you another option to look.

Old 04-09-2014, 02:36 PM

16 posts, read 24,905 times
There are tons of healthcare jobs in North Dakota. Bismarck (across the river from Mandan) is home to two major hospitals... Sanford and St. Alexius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota