U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-14-2007, 04:59 PM

53 posts, read 158,438 times

Advertisements

what kind of services and anemities does the AFB have to offer? i am a military card holder and would like to know what i can find on the base as apposed to what i can find "on the economy". is the aafes tax free shopping like they are overseas?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 06:58 PM

428 posts, read 1,118,886 times
Hi Alymaibra,
The base is like any other base. The Base Exchange (BX) offers a small amount of commodities, i.e. clothing, dvd, computers, etc., just like any other department store. The base is building a newer and large BX and will be finished 2009. This will encompass other stores, making this like a mini mall. The commissary is where you will save the most money. There is a 5% sure charge, but the cost of the food is lot cheaper than down town. Check out both Minot and then the base and you will notice the difference.

I should have added. Since you are moving to Minot, let me know what information you want about Minot, and I can send it your way. The base is 12 miles north of Minot. Welcome to Minot!

Last edited by Jammie; 11-14-2007 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: merged

Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 AM

Default thats great to hear

thanks. although we are familiar with base exchanges, we are army which would make them post exchanges for us. the good news is that BX's offer a bit more then PX's. when we left europe, they were in the process of also building the mini mall type structure next to the new AFB airport which would have been great to catch some "HOPS" back home. but since we were leaving anyways, it would have not benefitted us.
one of my main questions were about the CNC jobs available (which did get answered) for my husband who is now National Guard thinking to go back active service. as well as how well the school district in the minot area is with its policies on special needs teaching and the resources available to the students that need them. i am talking special needs for IEP's within a regular school (individual education plan) for students with learning disabilities. that question remains to be answered. i would also like to know if there are any since ive not heard of any being in the area, Pampered Chef Employees (so to speak... Consultants, Future Directors, Directors and so forth)?

Old 11-20-2007, 11:59 AM

First off, we have a large National Guard unit here in Minot. They have a very nice building that is shared with the Army Reserve and Air Force Reserve. I'm a volunteer with the ANG as a FRG leader, for the last group that is deployed. The Guard do a lot of things together and help out with the community. Before Iraq, the Guard would help out with our Cub Scout camp.

As for the schools, Minot schools cover all aspects of schooling. This is their website: Minot School District - Main (http://www.minot.k12.nd.us/education/district/district.php?sectionid=1 - broken link) . The phone number is at then bottom right of the page.

As for Pampered Chef, I do know there are wives that host the home parties. My wife was just at one. But for employees, consultants, etc. I wouldn't know. All I need is a can opener and a microwave and I'm good.

But I wouldn't rule out Minot. I'm from Texas and moved here and have not regretted moving. Another family that I met on this forum has moved to Minot from their state of Idaho. It's what you want to make of it. What ever information you want about Minot, just give an email at Moderator cut: addy removed Minot is in the stage for new entrepreneus to really make an impact. We need restaurants badly, and a grocery store on the north side of town. Talk to you later. ct

Last edited by Jammie; 11-20-2007 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Please use DM instead of personal or business addy

Old 11-26-2007, 09:44 AM

Default thanks for the website

thanks for the website. ive looked it over and am still thinking we would like the minot area.
how far is it to bismarck?

Old 11-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Bismarck is about 98 miles south on Hwy 83. An hour and 45 minutes will be at the heart of the city. Before we got a Taco Bell, I knew a couple who would drive to Bismarck on a Saturday afternoon for a Taco Bell dinner. He would do this 1 to 2 times a week. Crazy guy. Minot is on two major highways, highway 83 going N/S and highway 2 going E/W. Two major trains, and Amtrac and an airport makes Minot a major hub for transportation.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 PM

thats not bad. heck we drive 88 miles now to go visit family since we are not in their area. and we drive that about twice a month. it just makes for a nice weekend trip away from home ya know.... but cheese and rice!!! that taco bell guy was crazy to just do that for some fast food! an international food store i can see just to stock up on.
i do appreciate all the not so common information that you cant just find anywhere online thousands of miles away.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:21 PM

Speaking of international food store, we now have one here in Minot on Main St. If they don't have it, they'll order it for you. ct

Old 12-01-2007, 09:26 AM

Default you are a savior of endless information! lol

thats great to hear... do they carry german or italian foods? that would be my main interest. what i cannot make myself i may be looking into getting it from an international food store. one of our local food stores down the road has an international food section and by section i mean about ten feet of four racks and it has very limited foods of the german, italian, chinese, mexican and japanese persuasion. lol not of much help to me since most they sell in the german/italian foods i already have brought with me from overseas... at a lot cheaper cost even with the exchange rate...
i have however shopped on amazon for some foods ive ran out of that are non perishable. their costs arent so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota