Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 10:06 PM

12 posts, read 32,567 times

Advertisements

What is the best time of year to move to ND? April or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 06:25 AM

75 posts, read 162,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iEffedUp View Post
What is the best time of year to move to ND? April or so?
Right now is great. 75 deg during the day, 47 at night (great sleeping temp) 5-10 mph wind. Humidity 25%. Perfect.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,568 times
Listen this is for everyone out there.

Move here NOW, there are jobs all over the state, not just the oil patch. We need workers in every line of work from Wal-Marts to construction to restaurant workers.

Old 09-12-2013, 03:49 PM

9 posts, read 19,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post

Move here NOW, there are jobs all over the state, not just the oil patch. We need workers in every line of work from Wal-Marts to construction to restaurant workers.
What is the best city to live in.

Old 09-12-2013, 07:42 PM

I am in Jamestown, which is in the Eastern part of the state. What kind of work would you look at?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:59 AM

582 posts, read 1,482,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbay View Post

Wal Mart is a company with as everyone knows horrible pay and benefits. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. You don't need to move to work there.

That said, the days of decent weather are rapidly diminishing (maybe a couple of weeks left). I have spent lots of time there for my sales work a few years back, probably for 6-7 years, even in the winters. I drove, and spent 1/2 the year on average in the area. The temperatures are starting to drop now to where you need a jacket at night and in the morning.

You really only have about 3 months of decent weather (decent meaning shirtsleeves). Once October hits, the golf courses close and daytime highs drop into the low 50's and 40's quick.

Winter is very cold and lasts until close to April, and then the snow melt starts. April is rainy and weather doesn't really uptick until into mid May. So mid May till the end of September is the best it gets.

I don't know where you are coming from, but winters in the Dakotas are much much colder than many parts of the country. Average daytime highs are in the teens.

Jobs are workable besides oil country. Pay is lower, but the cost of housing is too. Have you contacted any companies in your line of work to get a feel for the situation?

The Fargo area is the most populated with about 200,000 people. And from there it is about 4 hours to the Twin Cities when you need to go to a major city. Fargo is closer to more things than other towns in the rest of the state.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:37 PM

Don't work at Wal-Mart, I simply use Wal-Mart as an example.

There are jobs in every corner of North Dakota.

Yes winters are tough, but help me understand the thought that you may be out of work where you are, and the prospect of a job is slim to none (and has been that way for a while) why not pack up and move to where the economy is booming? Get going on improving your spot in life.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:36 PM

978 posts, read 2,054,242 times
Does anyone know of a site to search for teaching jobs in ND? Most states have them so you can search the entire state, but I cannot find one for ND.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:50 AM

431 posts, read 1,606,084 times
You need to visit Job Service North Dakota for possible employment. Also, look online for the local newspaper, Minot Daily News. The railroad is constantly adding more rail, meaning more workers needed, professional jobs are opening throughout the state, not just the western area, housing is starting to slow down and prices are coming down. If anything, have something lined up prior to moving the family here.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:50 PM

6 posts, read 10,123 times
I work for the local paper in Lawrence KS. I am a digital imager/production professional. I started in the mailroom over 20 years ago. Now I am 43 and will be losing my job in Jan. Any recommendations or avenues I should pursue? Im thinking about buying a travel trailer to live in... Any advice or suggestions are welcomed.

Tia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota