Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 10:52 PM

28 posts, read 34,918 times

Advertisements

Hello!

So, hubby got a big job opportunity in Minot, and we are to move between October 7th and 9th, and he starts the job on the 14th from Tulsa to there. Just got word of this today and was a bit of a surprise. Kinda fast notice, though. We are looking for apartments that allow small cats. Or houses to rent. We have just one small cat. I have heard that it is really hard to find a place up there right now. However, we did find a couple houses for rent in our range on Craigslist and inquired about it. Nothing back yet as we just sent it out and its almost midnight. LOL

We are looking for anything between $500 and $800 per month. Neither of us have ever been to Minot.

If anyone has any info on this or sites that might have some listed, that would be great.. we aren't finding much! As I am sure the oil boom up there is making things 10 times more difficult in doing so.

All the major apartment finder sites seem to show fruitless.

Even if not in Minot, anyone know of nearby towns that would be a good idea? Something within 20 mins distance.

Any info will be very appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 12:12 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Beware of Craigslist and housing in North Dakota. There are a lot of scams.

There is a major housing shortage in North Dakota and finding something in that price range is going to be next to impossible. I would contact Real Estate Offices and find out if they manage any rentals or if they know which Real Estate Offices do manage them. What ever you do, do not send anybody on Craigslist any money as a "Down Payment" to hold the apartment or home. Specially if they have a phone number that is not a North Dakota number. The scammers favorite excuse is they had to move quickly and are no longer in North Dakota. It's bunk.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:13 AM

4,818 posts, read 11,001,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicshroom View Post
Hello!

So, hubby got a big job opportunity in Minot, and we are to move between October 7th and 9th, and he starts the job on the 14th from Tulsa to there. Just got word of this today and was a bit of a surprise. Kinda fast notice, though. We are looking for apartments that allow small cats. Or houses to rent. We have just one small cat. I have heard that it is really hard to find a place up there right now. However, we did find a couple houses for rent in our range on Craigslist and inquired about it. Nothing back yet as we just sent it out and its almost midnight. LOL

We are looking for anything between $500 and $800 per month. Neither of us have ever been to Minot.

If anyone has any info on this or sites that might have some listed, that would be great.. we aren't finding much! As I am sure the oil boom up there is making things 10 times more difficult in doing so.

All the major apartment finder sites seem to show fruitless.

Even if not in Minot, anyone know of nearby towns that would be a good idea? Something within 20 mins distance.

Any info will be very appreciated!

There are several apartment rental agencies that serve Minot (and other cities in ND) here are a few. Your best advice is to search minot property management companies.

IRET is one...
Apartments for Rent in Minot North Dakota - IRET Apartments

Here is another....
Minot Apartments & Homes for Rent | 1st Minot Management Company

IMM
Home : IMM Apartments: Over 5,000 apartments for rent

SMC
SMC

also check out minot daily news...
MinotDailyNews.com | News, sports, business, jobs - Minot Daily News

There are others...dont rely on national sites but google search is your friend. Call around...yes there are more apartments now...but it is still a very tight market and stlll pretty expensive. Your rental price of 500-800 wont get you much if anything Im afraid....maybe a small studio.

If you see a house on craiglist advertised for 500-800 /mo it is a definite giveaway it is a scam. There are quite a few. Anytime you see such low prices for a house for rent it isnt real. CL can be useful but be very very careful.

BTW my wife is from Minot....so we go there quite often.

--Dan

Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 AM

Now, if you want to room with someone, or take a room in an apartment or house then you could do it in that 500-800 range. I do see plenty of real listings for that on CL looking for roommate.

Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 AM

Here is another site....these are more single family homes for rent....many rehab after the 2011 flood. Prices through for 2-3BR house would run mostly 1800 on low end to 2800 on high end...

Minotndhousing.com

Old 09-25-2013, 04:47 PM

746 posts, read 1,728,777 times
There is some apartments coming up in Surrey and Burlington to look into:

Welcome to Silver Springs | Communities

Old 09-25-2013, 05:58 PM

103 posts, read 198,274 times
please don't worry about the housing here in minot. ive been her over 90 days, and I assure you there is more then enough affordable housing. there is a local site called iret, or something like that. most of the rentals are from property mgmt. agencies. take your time and shop around. the rents go from one extreme to another.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:06 PM

28 posts, read 34,918 times
we have looked at most of these.. and find that NONE of them accept pets. our cat is part of our family, so.. sorry, apartment complexes. and yeah, one place on craigslist was indeed a Nigerian scam thing. yeah... hard to sift thru what it what on that site.

this is just crazy as we have less than 2 weeks, technically. we are literally relocating and his new job only pays $30,000, but its a perfect opportunity and with a great company and promise of increase in pay after the probationary period... and i have yet to find a job up there, but *might* be able to get work where hubby has been offered his job. they invited me to discuss some openings they have there that sorts fit my area.. so waiting on that info. so, either way... pay sounds GREAT otherwise up there, everywhere, i hear even McDonald's is paying people like $15/hr and with benefits! thats insane! and very cool. LOL and i doubt i'll be having an problem finding a job up there of any sort. we could actually afford a higher apartment... but kinda tight on funds at this moment.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:28 PM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
I'd like to point out that the $15/hour McD's jobs are in Williston and not Minot. I did see that the McD's near my hotel was nice and big and clean and had a help wanted sign on the door. I imagine that wages are higher than in Tulsa.

I'd also like to point out that people just don't value the cost of a commute like they should.

If there is any possible way to locate where hubby can either walk or take public transport the value of only owning one care vs. two is like earning an extra $10k/year.

That assumes you value your time at $-0-/hour. Mine is worth a lot more.

When moving anywhere - especially "anywhere" -where "Neither of us have ever been ..." it is always best to stop in to a weekly rental place and get to know the neighborhoods. What looks good on the internet might have dirty needles in view as you walk down the sidewalks.

It's never worth it to put down a deposit and commit to live in a place for a long time that sux. What's it worth to not have your car broken into every couple of months while you sleep?

That being said, I'm sure Minot is safer overall than Tulsa or anyplace that I have ever lived.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:59 PM

83 posts, read 114,744 times
If you visit the realtos offices as mentioned by DaninEGF's post above, you will find 1bdr apartments within the price range you listed. But none of them will accept any pets. You have to go higher, atleast $1000/month. I am paying $1,100 for a 1bdr in Minot and I have 2 dogs. It was really hard and frustrating finding a place that accepts dogs. There are more complexes that accept pets now, but they start at $1,200. BTW I had to pay a pet deposit of $1,000 on top of the normal deposit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota